Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the time, garage space or tools to do the conversion on my 87 LX so I will have to employ someone to do it if I do it.

Would it be cheaper just to sell the car and buy a 5-speed car similar?

I gave $2500 for the car but have put $400 into restoring it keeping it mostly stock except for subframes, pulleys and a 3G alternator (extra from my 95).

Oh yeah I have two T-5s in my garage but one is from my 95 GT and the other possibly has problems with 3rd off of a 90 5.0 car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
do the swap

i recently did "the swap" not to bad, hardest part was the friggin pedal assembly. the 5spd is sooooooo much quicker and more fun!! u won't regret it. make room and make time and then do it. if your rich just buy another car!:D

·
Registered
765 Posts
yeah.. the pedals were the hardest part.... Took me about 4 hours to get the old ones out and replace the new ones.... But well worth it. I love my manual... combined with 4:10's It cut 2 seconds off my quarter mile!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I've got another question.

Minus the T-5, assuming I've got a good one, how much should I expect to spend on the rest of the parts necessary? And where did you get your?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Call up Stangparts you can buy the parts individually from them. The most expencive part is the Trans. Ive done the swap twice and its not very hard. Make sure you swap out the computer both times i tried keeping the automatic one in and had problems with idle and richness(shot flames out my exhaust). The first time i did the swap when i was in highschool i did it mostly with a mastergrip tool set i bought from cosco for $60. it would be real expencive to hire someone do to it due to the time envolved

·
Registered
765 Posts
I didnt swap my computer, and mine runs fine... hmm

·
Registered
186 Posts
DO NOT CALL MPS. They are way overpriced. I spent about 300.00 TOTAL. Took a 5 speed car I bought for 800 bucks, put the trans in mine, put the AOD in the 800 dollar one and sold it for 750. Bought new clutch and cable, whola 300 bucks.

Try to find a junk 5.0 car with a 5-speed. You get everything you need without calling MPS. Plus you can drive the car to see how it shifts.

MPS wants 2,000 for a kit. no thanks

and never swaped EECs and both run fine.

·
Registered
765 Posts
To answer your original question....

Here's What I spent on the swap....

Used T-5 $500.00
King cobra clutch summit priced $199.95
Cast Iron Flywheel $99.95
Linkage upgrade kit (includes ford Clutch cable $62.95
FMS Aluminum driveshaft (not needed
But I wanted one since I have 4:10's) $159.95
Steeda Clutch Quadrant $45.00
Steeda firewall adjuster $44.95
Pro 5.0 Shifter $175.00

As far as the rest... I actualy got The pedal assembly, the bellhousing, and crossmember for $100 from a corral user... Thats probibly the best way, and in my situation, the guy needed the AOD stuff, So I sent him my AOD crossmember, as well as the brake pedal, and saved some cash... so all together it was Give or take $1300 bucks... Not too bad in my opinion.... After the whole thing, I regret not putting in a new T5. Since mine broke last week.... I broke about 7 teeth off of third gear.... So now Im replacing the whole thing... Anyway... Good luck with the swap. I hope this helps you a little bit.... If I were to do it again, I would go with a different clutch, the pedal feel is a bit hard... But good luck, and have fun with your new T5 once your finnished.

*edit* just read... since you have a 95 T5 laying around, throw that thing in... What else do you have laying around? I could easily see you doing the swap for significantly less that It cost me since you already have a few things. By the way, check Ebay for the pedals, I've seen them on there quite a bit. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Since you are from Decatur. Go talk to Keith Foster. He doesn't do them but he knows of a guy that does it. He is a Ford mechanic and has done several for Keith's customers.
Keith might even be able to help you find some of the parts......

Casey

·
Registered
171 Posts
I spent:
$200 - used T5, bellhousing, KC clutch, flywheel, starter plate, Hurst shifter
$60 - used pedal assembly
$80 - new FRPP adjustable clutch cable & quadrant
$30 - used tranny x-member
$40 - used T5 shifter plate and boot
I probably spent a little cash on some other things so say $500 total (not counting the unessary SPEC alum flywheel, FRPP alum driveshaft, and FRPP DS safety loop that I bought for the swap).
Don't go with MPS as they are a rip-off. You can source the parts cheaper. I'd be weary of a used tranny but I got mine from a guy who I trusted. It had ~80k on it from a 300hp motor when I bought it and I've punished it with another 10k without issue with my stock motor.
I did the swap in a driveway. Man, it will only take a weekend with some help. Do the pedal swap yourself first and drive around with a dead clutch pedal until you have time to do the rest and it would be cake. If you really aren't going to do it expect to pay alot in labor.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
C. Johnson said:
Since you are from Decatur. Go talk to Keith Foster. He doesn't do them but he knows of a guy that does it. He is a Ford mechanic and has done several for Keith's customers.
Keith might even be able to help you find some of the parts......

Casey
I spoke with Keith a couple of weeks ago and he didn't mention anyone else to me. He also said my 95 T-5 wouldn't work??? something about the input shaft I think.

I do have a T-5 from a 1990 but it was in my 95 for one drive in which it was popping out of gear but it also felt like it wasn't mounted in the car properly almost like it was pushed forward.

Could the wrong shift fork have been used? And would this cause it to pop out of third? I figured it might just have had problems.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i am about to do this swap too and i was wondering if there was anything special involved? i have the pedals, clutch, trans., etc.
i know i can keep my computer, but what about backup lights and the gas pedal linkage? do i have to change anything there? any help would be greatly appreciate it.
thanks,
sean

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The 5 speed tranny in a 94-95 is different from the fox bodied T-5's. The input shaft is different but you could pick up an input shaft for one to get it to work. If you put a 90 model T-5 in your 95, that could cause some of the symptons you described if you did not switch input shafts.

If you ask Keith who can do those swaps he should tell you who. Tony at Sartain used to do them at home after work but do not know if he does any more. Jason or Jim in the Parts Dept might also do stuff like that. I think Jim did one not too long ago but I cannot say for sure.

Casey

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have a used T-5 bellhousing, brand new clutch fork, and a resurfaced flywheel for sale. All in excellent shape, parts are for 79-93 5.0L. Email me if interested.

[email protected]

·
Please call me Mike
1,594 Posts
i spent about 1700 and got a tremec pro 5.0 shifter, lakewood bellhousing, fms clutch and flywheel. steeda cable, firewall adjuster, pedals and steeda quadrant

·
Registered
186 Posts
blubyu90 said:
i am about to do this swap too and i was wondering if there was anything special involved? i have the pedals, clutch, trans., etc.
i know i can keep my computer, but what about backup lights and the gas pedal linkage? do i have to change anything there? any help would be greatly appreciate it.
thanks,
sean
gas pedal no

lights will work with right plug

no special tools. just clutch align tool to install disc.

·
Registered
418 Posts
C. Johnson said:
The 5 speed tranny in a 94-95 is different from the fox bodied T-5's. The input shaft is different but you could pick up an input shaft for one to get it to work. If you put a 90 model T-5 in your 95, that could cause some of the symptons you described if you did not switch input shafts.
ditto

1 - 17 of 17 Posts