Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got a 1993 5.0 notchback with it's factory AOD starting to slip going from 3rd gear to O.D. The car is bone stock with the exception of a set of 4.10's out back.

I use this car as my daily driver during the nice weather months and really don't want to hot-rod it anymore than my gear and timing. Although, it kinda' bums me out that the tranny won't shift into O.D. under full throttle. :mad: Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do here?... should I just get a standard rebuild, or is there some great place that sells mildly souped up AOD's for my car? (to accomodate the full throttle O.D. thing) Are the automatic transmissions from later model 5.0's the same and will bolt right in? (from `94 or `95)

Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I would look into getting a Lentech AOD with a matching converter. The valve body in the Lentech will allow full throttle in OD. Sorry, don't have the web address for them, but I'm sure someone will chime in. Or, send a PM to DAVE88LX, he just put a Lentech AOD in his car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks, StangLX! I'll drop DAVE88LX a line to hear more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just got off the phone with some tranny people.

Performance Automatic-1900.00 for comp trans with auto valvebody-2200.00 same trans but manual valve body with trans brake-10'' coverter 695.00-12''converter 450.00 both lockups

Art Carr- 2099.00 trany with auto valve body good for 800 hp/1year warr.-nolock 2400 converter 582.00- 300.oo for manual valve body reduces tranny warrenty to 3 months

Lentech-Street Terminater Plus 2600.00 everything you need plus a 10'' converter and semi manuel valve body. Seems like a really good deal to me, I may have miss understood but almost positive on the price.

Artcarr.com
performanceautomatic.com
lentachautomatics.com

These are the prices I got from them over the phone and reflect no dicounts or special savings. I think Im leaning towards the lentech. But im gonna wait till my stock aod blows.

Hope this helps
CFM

·
15,477 Posts
Hellooo :)

The reason your car won't shift from 3rd to O/D under full throttle is well...because it's not supposed to :) When you go WOT, there's a cable called a "TV cable (Throttle Valve I believe)", or more commonly "Kickdown cable". Your shifter linkage is hooked to the shifter arm. The TV cable is hooked to the throttle body on one end, and the shifter arm as well on the other end. So, when it senses you going WOT, the cable, and line pressures etc. make it kick down into 3rd. That way you can accelerate rapidly.

That's why it's so important that your TV cable is adjusted properly. if it's not, you may be only 3/4 throttle or whatever, and you're tranny's riding the fine line between trying to kick down, and stay in O/D etc. That's the way I understand it anyways.

To get an idea on the lentech tranny's, go to www.lentechautomatics.com . They've got a few different ones there to choose from. Your car is pretty stock right? You could probably get the base line Street Terminator, which is $1995 shipped last I checked. If you look around a little, most people have gone thru 2 or 3 factory AOD rebuilds, and for that price you could have already had a Lentech with a nice warranty. Figure the price of a stocker rebuild is Hell, I dunno how much, I'm in germany, but between $500-$1000, and if after the 1,2, and 3 year warranties on the Lentech, you blow it, it is fixed at a $1000 ceiling. Costs no higher than that. Plus any upgraded components that came out for it are upgraded as well.

FYI, my tranny doesn't have a Kickdown cable, it's got a transbrake, which makes it a fully manual valve body (have to shift each gear), and runs at full line pressure. O/D is on a switch now that I electronically turn on and off, and it makes 1=1, D=2, and O/D=3, and O/D is on the switch.

So basically...if you've got a TV cable on your setup, and you go WOT, it's gonna want to kickdown...

I'm rambling now...but post any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them.

Anyone feel free to correct any inaccuracies I may have made :D

·
15,477 Posts
Here's what it looks like in case you've never seen it:

THe top cable coming from the left is the TV cable, and the bottom cable going to the right is your shifter cable.

You can see how the TV cable is kind of an "S" shape...well that thing pivots, near the top...And the way I *think* it works is it pulls enough so that it'll kick the gear selector back a notch, and down a gear. But, your shifter cable is still in it's original position. when you let up off WOT enough, a spring up by Throttle Body on the TV cable pulls it back to "normal" and lets it go back into the gear it's supposed to.

Here's how mine is now:

That's the best pic I have of it right now...But it just has the shifter cable in the bottom hole, the TV cable is totally off the car.

Do a search on my username for the Windsor Forum...You'll see some of the stuff I've had to say as well...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Going in or out of OD under load is a Bad Idea with a stock AOD.
If you want to drop the hammer, kick it down to 3rd manually, then back to OD once you're cruising.
If you get a Lentech it has OD lockout for such occasions. :)
I keep mine in D around town and even on the highway if it's stop and go, hovering around 45-50mph (on the speedo, I have 3.73s so it's off). I do this to avoid shifting back and forth into OD.
I learned the hard way, I lost OD because I liked gunning it on a mountainous section of road while in OD, and one night OD was gone.

If you're gonna keep the car stock except for gears, Lentech's basic Street Terminator is "only" $1995 (shipping in the US included). It keeps the stock stall, it has an OD lockout switch. You can even go with a lockup converter to save on mileage. A tranny rebuild often runs $1400, so a Lentech is a good deal for a beefier trans. Junkyard AODs are a lot cheaper, but there's no guarantee they won't die on you. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:confused: Wow!!! A Lentech for my application would still run nearly $2k?? Zoinks! Although, I suppose just like with anything, you get what you pay for. I really appreciate all the great responses you guys have provided. I've got tons of food for thought now.

I think stripey357 has effectively exposed why/how I messed up my AOD! :eek: I guess I nailed it a few too many times on the freeway and just let the tranny shift itself out of OD and into 3rd on it's own, when I should have been doing it manually? D'oh.

Regardless, I've really gotta' figure out what's best for me at this point. I don't have a ton of cash to fork over at the moment, but nor do I want to scrimp on my pride & joy daily summer car. Thanks again for all your help guys.

Dale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts