Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what car my AOD shifter came out of but appears it has some kind of interlock and an electrical connector for gear indictor.

Is this used/needed on an 89 ?

Automotive tire Gas Metal Wire Auto part

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It attaches to the steering column, by the key. It prevents you from being able to remove the key when the shifter is not in park. The older models had the button on the underside of the column you would push to remove the key.

Reactions: Stangdawg

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It attaches to the steering column, by the key. It prevents you from being able to remove the key when the shifter is not in park. The older models had the button on the underside of the column you would push to remove the key.
I had swapped my AOD to a T5 so wondering what goes there on the older cars?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
It's actually the shifter lock out cable. You can't shift out of park unless the key is in the on position. Kind of a built in security system so somebody can't jump in your car and shift it into neutral and roll the car away and onto a trailer or tow it away rolling. This mechanism was on the AOD 87-93 cars.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yeah, that's right. I was taxing my memory to remember what it did but I dont think it was on 87-93. My 90 doesn't have it. My 88 didnt have it. My 91 did and my 93 does.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
No, I think it began in 91.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If you look at a factory AOD shifter out of a 90 it doesn't have the part that the cable attaches to.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That's probably the reason. I miss the days of tilt column in foxes.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If you went 5 speed yes. I took mine out when I did my 5 speed swap.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stangdawg is going back to AOD. I'm pretty sure you can just disconnect the cable from the shifter carefully take the cotter pin out remove the mechanism and see if the shifter operates properly without the cable before installing.
Correct and not many videos of people swapping back to AOD

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have swapped a couple of cars back to AOD from t-5 swaps. If you need anything let me know.

Reactions: Stangdawg
1 - 19 of 19 Posts