Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help from an AOD expert. My wifes 93 GT is shaking really bad. It shakes at idle and gets worse as the engine revs or as the car is driven. The overdrive on this car died 2 years ago, which wasn't a big deal as it only gets driven 10 miles a day at 50mph or less so it doesn't need the overdrive. I think it's the converter, but i'm not sure I'm a stick man so autos are japenese to me! I'm assuming this the next step of failure in an AOD. I've checked the obvious things like the ballancer on the motor and it's fine. Has anyone had this problem before with thier AOD 5.0? Or does anyone have any thoughts or ideas of what to check or a direction to go????? Also does anyone know of any websites or tech articles on how to swap out an AOD with the painfully simple things to any hidden nightmares. Wife won't go for the AOD to T-5 swap! To bad!!!!
Thanks in advance,
Greygt

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
So sitting in "N" not driving you get a shake? Have you changed anything in the motor? Any other bad symptoms?

Ian

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the car is damn near show room stock. K&N and mass air thats it! It even has the complete stock exhaust! Talk about a virgin! LOL No other bad symptoms just a horrible shake I'm affraid to start up any more for fear that I might damage the tranny futher to where it might be to trashed to rebuild in it's current tranny case. But I might just be to paranoid! LOL

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Just to confirm, the OD is gone and you have been driving it for 2 years?

Did you change the fluid after the OD band went?

Ian

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have changed it 3 times since od went out doing kind of a half ***ed flush on it in the hopes it would mess things up down the road.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Well since you have no mods in the motor, and have not changed anything in the motor all that is left is the AOD. Since the OD band is gone anyhow I would drop it, check the converter and rebuild the trans for the O/D.

Ian

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, thats what I'm looking at! I have been checking around today getting prices and through the local grapevine found a factory Ford rebuilt AOD with converter with 5,000 miles on it for $300 from a guy that I know that went with a computer cotrolled 4R70W tranny in his 331 blown ranger project. Compared to the $750-$1000 for just a rebuilt tranny and converter to $1200-$1800 to just drop the car off and having them do it! $300 is to good to pass up! So now I just need some info on the in's and out's of doing this swap!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I hate to jump in on this but have you checked over the obvious electrical parts. Maybe you've got a bad plug, plug wire, rotor thats causing you shake. Otherwise the 300 is a great price and I'd jump all over that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I just did a tune up on it before christmas, platnium plugs, msd wires, coil, cap, rotor, etc. You can feel the tranny shaking, the motor is running very smoothly.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
unbolt driveshaft and jack up the car on all fours. remove the intermediate and starter... Undo the bolts on three sides of the transmission pan so that the fluid will come out on one end... remove the pan completely and dump the remaining contents. then move on to the converter.. rotate the engine until the drain plug on the converter is toward the bottom, remove the bolt and drain into a pan.. next remove the shifter linkage and kickdown cable along with back-up sensor, neutral safety switch and speedo cable . Now, using a set of line wrenches, remove the transmission cooler lines from the side of the tranny... loosen and remove all the converter bolts. next put a floor jack under the transmission pan with a piece of wood between the jack and the pan. When placing jack under the tranny put it more towards the front of the transmission pan since the converter end is much heavier than the tail end. next undo and remove the tranny crossmember, and unbolt the bellhousing. With someone helping you, slowly pull the transmission back until it is completely seperated from the engine, then lower it down.. you will probably have to slide the tranny off of the jack and and onto the ground then scoot it out.

to install just do the process in reverse.. put 1 quart of ATF in the new converter and lube the hub where it goes into the tranny. When you install the converter, make sure you turn it and push at the same time.. it has to go onto 3 shafts so you should hear 3 clicks. When it is installed properly the converter bottoms out and physically touches the inside of the bellhousing. next when you get the transmission up in place.. turn the converter so that is matches up with the flywheel. when you pull the transmission up to the tranny the converter studs should go through the flywheel but tighten the bell housing up FIRST.. if you tighten up the converter bolts first.. you risk pulling the converter off of the last shaft and then it all has to be torn out and redone. So tighten up the transmission to the engine THEN tighten up the converter bolts...

Scott

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was wondering if the AOD had been kinda forgottten about in maintenance. You said you changed the fluid three times. How many times did you change it before everything went bad? I got a bone stock 86' with just 76k on the clock, and I went through everything, one day I figured I would be nice to her and have the tranny flushed. BIG MISTAKE! The service technician said the gasket looked like it was never touched. 3 days later the AOD completely gives up. I talked to the tranny guys and they said, if your car goes too long without changes to the fluid, dirt and other "gunk" in the transmission sticks to the parts. When you change fluid the new fluid contains detergents that eat the "gunk", coincidentally, the "gunk" is what keeps your parts together after so long. Now parts will be weaker to some extent, and the parts will eventually fail, 3 days for me. Hope it helps

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got the car with 70,000 miles on it roughly from my father who bought it used in 96 with 35,000 on it. He had it done once we he first got it and once again at 60-65 thousand. The OD died around 74,000. It now has 115,000 on it and I changed 3 times in 41,000 miles. This changing may have cleaned out the "gunk" who knows??? I figured the tranny had 1 foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel when the OD died so any life after that was just luck! As long as I can replace it for less than a 1/3 of what the car is worth I'll be happy.

·
Registered
418 Posts
you can buy my aod and convertor for $150, plus shipping :)
(and any other associated part that i have...i just want this thing out of here!)

it's got roughly 70,000 highway miles on it. never been 1-d-1 shifted, and seen a drag strip 3 times. worked fine when i pulled it out of the car ~6 months ago

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I apreciate the offer 92fivepointslow but the one i'm buying has less than 5,000 miles for $300.
Greygt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts