Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 91 w/ AOD that upshifts fine but when coming to a stop, it seems to stay in OD (or the converter is still locked or both) until the car slows to about 15 mph. When it finally does downshift, it is fairly abrupt, like a pop. I have been manually shifting from OD to D when coming to a stop and that is very smooth.

I have tried adjusting the TV cable many times and I can tell a definite difference in the upshift characteristics when I change the adjustment and play it (ie, stacked shifts, normal, and later firm shifts with different adjustments) but there seems to be no difference in the downshifting.

It not only seems to hang in OD it just seems to downshift late in general. Crusing around the neighborhood in D, slowing to make a turn, the trans stays in D unless you slow to about 5-8 mph, then it goes into 2nd.

The fluid is very fresh looking and the trans does not slip at all. The gromet in the t. body is new so the cable is not falling out or coming loose.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I adjusted the cable accoring to Haynes and tried several different methods as well. I never messed with the shifter. However, it seems to be fine now. I removed the pan yesterday (very clean and very, very little metal) then flushed about another 8 qts through it so most of the fluid in there is brand new (about 3 qts of synthetic -what I had lying around for a total of about 12 qts of new). I installed a new filter and tightened it up properly (instructions for the filter stated that if torque spec not followed, 3-4 shift may have problems). Anyway, coming out of OD is now smooth as a new car. I still need to firm up the TV a little.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Make sure the TV cable is moving 1 to 1. Also you cannot just adjust to what feels good. The TV cable is a very important piece to the AOD and if mis-adjusted it will destroy the tranny very quickly.

Ian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts