Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing my new, bigger throttle body, I noticed that my AOD shifts at different points than it did before. It feels like it is shifting into 3rd a little premature when just driving regularly. Before the tb swap, it would shift into 2nd under WOT at about 5500rpms and into 3rd under WOT at 4800rpms. Now (after tb swap) it shifts into 2nd at 5000rpms under WOT and into 3rd at about 4600rpms. Is does this when I leave the shifter in D allowing the tranny to shift automatically. When I manually shift it fom 1 to D, I do so at 5500rpms... The tranny shifts into 2nd, but then almost immediately shifts into 3rd. Its only in 2nd gear for roughly a second when I shift it from 1 to D under WOT, but when I leave it in D under WOT, it will hold second to about 4600rpms which is still low to me. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
shift points

Mine did and still does the same thing, Im going to that site and see if I can adjust mine.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If you just changed your throttle body, did you make sure to pop the TV cable boot up into the throttle body arm correctly? That is ultra important. Where did you get the little plastic grommet to attact the boot to the throttle body arm? Did you use your old one? If you did, it's possible that by removing and installing it you cracked or weakened the grommet. After it was installed on your new TB the crack in the grommet could be allowing the TV cable boot to slack further back. I had this problem with my car...it would shift 1-2 and 2-3 way to quick. Popped the hood and the TV cable boot's grommet was cracked. When you got into the throttle pushing the TB arm forward, the crack allowed slack in the grommet and it didn't pull the TV cable boot forward as much as it should. Even a few millimeters can make a difference.

The grommet is usualy the problem. The TV cable can't just fall out of adjustment...usually something breaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts