Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're trying to decide what tranmission to put in a project car.

It will be a mostly street car with occasional strip use. We're hoping for 400-450rwhp (maybe more later with nitrous).

The C-4 seems to be the most cost effective but with the AOD couldn't we run a higher rear gear? Also, this is being retrofitted to an old LTD and I've heard that the electronics for the AODE can be a pain.

What transmission do you guys recommend. Gas mileage is not really a concern, I just don't want the car to be street friendly. Then again... performance is the most important thing...

Anyway, what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well if performance is the most thing, here is what I'm thinking. The AOD and C-4 both have 1:1 third gear, right? I don't think you want to use overdrive in the 1/4, so this means you are going to run the same rear gear ratio with either trans for equivalent performance. This means the AOD will cruise at a lower rpm on the highway. In my case I don't go on the highway much, and the C-4 is cheaper as you said. For me the choice was easy because I know how to rebuild a C-4. The C-6 is a lot heavier, stronger, and reportedly slower than either trans and still has a higher first gear than the C-4 and no od.

·
Registered
36 Posts
AOD-E all the way. I know so many people that have started projects like this. The ones that choose the AOD-E or 4R70-W are ALWAYS very happy. The others that try to save money and go with a C-4 or AOD always end up dissappointed when it comes to a street car with the kind of power you are talking about. As far as the electronics being a pain, Baumann Electronic Controls specializes in retro-fit applications just like this one. Their Baumannator TCS will give you full control of shift points, converter clutch behavior, and line pressure. For a street/strip car with over 400hp, you cannot do any better than the electronic AODE or 4R70-W (wide ratio gears) controlled by the Baumannator. Once you get the hang of tuning the TCS, you can make changes to it over and over with a laptop or PC until you get it dialed in perfect for your setup. This is just my opinion however, check it out for yourself at
www.baumannengineering.com

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I would go with a C4,these are way cheaper than a "built" AOD.$1200 will get a killer C4 while you would only get a stock rebuild on an AOD for that.

www.performanceautomatic.com has bullet proof C4s,break it they fix it for free! $1800 though ;(

If you go AOD,I would make sure to get better internals,I fragged my AOD on a 1-2 shift.Trans was stock with a PA manual valvebody.

·
Registered
137 Posts
AOD-E all the way, no question. It is absolutlely the best street/strip tranny ever made. I would be completely willing to put it up against a 700r4/4l60e any day, specially stock to stock. I'm almosted ashamed to even compare the to, but I had to, G.M. could make a 2003 Fat Chic SS that got terrible gas mileage, no power, stunk, ,looked but ugly, etc, and the GM camp would claim it as the second coming. So, AOD-E all the way for me, and I'm talking 10sec cars at 3500lbs and tall gears.

Antony
PS or the 4R70W, same thing but lower gears

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sold. Who makes good AODE stuff? And how much am I going to spend for an AODE that can handle 700hp plus the bauman TCS thing?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Look for a used 4R70W (wide ratio AODE) at your local junkyards. The best ones to get are the ones out of the 1996 and up 5.0 Explorers because they have all of the updated hard parts already inside. These trannys can be found in a variety of prices ($250-800) in used form. Then, basically all you need is a rebuild kit with Raybestos blue racing clutches and the TCS ($400). Call Baumann to double check. 864 646 8920

1 - 7 of 7 Posts