Ford Mustang Forums banner

Anyone with Convertible roll bar pics 87-93

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  meatheadmike 
#1 · (Edited)
4-pt
6-pt,
Chrome Car Bars,
anything you have in your vert, lets see em.

:)

#4 ·
Sweet, if you can't host the pics e-mail them to me anyway.
I was begining to think I was the only one trying to make a heavy convertible fast :p

#6 ·
Looks pretty good, was it hard to get in?

#7 ·
It was interesting, let me put it that way. The actual welding I had done by someone else. I was not about to trust this job to my 110v MIG (or my novice welding experience for that matter). I had my guy completely weld it together except for the base. Then I took it down to the powdercoating shop and had them bake on a nice fire-red color. After that it was brought back to the welder to have the base secured. One word of caution. If you care about your interior panels, make sure they are in place *before* the welding commences (cover them with rags so they don't get melted by the sparks, blaa, blaa, blaa). The reason for this is so that you do not have to worry about fitment after the fact. I had one hell of a time putting my interior 1/4 panels in place because they were removed for the welding process. The carpet installation was pretty straight forward. Just make sure that you take your time cutting the holes, otherwise you are likely to cut too much off and it will look like ass. If you are keeping the rear seats (keep in mind they will only be there for looks if you have a cage installed), then all you have to do is cut some semi-circles into the aluminum backing to clear the bars. One word of caution here - make sure that you cover the cut edges of the seat back with plenty of duct tape. I didn't the first time around, and I managed to scrape up my nice shiny new powdercoating job really good. Anyways, it was a really worthwhile project overall. It really sets the car off, and I feel alot safer now going in to a power slide or whipping around a bend at top speed. >:)

Good luck.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the info,
1 last question, how much more did you notice the stiffness of your vert after the install of the 6-pt cage? Do you have subframe connectors?

I think I'm leaning toward the Maximum Motorsports 6-PT with the door bars.

:)

#9 ·
I don't have subframes in there (yet), but I did notice the stiffness improve. The car feels alot tighter, and there doesn't seem to be as much of the body-squeek when you go over bumps in the road. I imagine a good part of this sensation is due to the fact that I have a piece of steel tubing pressed against my side. Also the 5 points contribute a bit too. Of course if you go with the swing-outs you are naturally going to lose some of the body stiffness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.