Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a chemical called "Run Right"...Supposed to be used for cleaning the carbon & BS off the back of the valve etc. I have heard briefly about it, and that its function is to remove carbon build up from the valves etc. Does this exist?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've heard that Chebby dealers sell it. I think they call it top end cleaner or something like that.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Many guys swear that a spray bottle and some water, mist it in the intake while at a fast idle will clean everything and not harm a thing... as long as your cautious with the amount of water.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I've seen old racers use a bottle of 50/50 water and brake fluid. Take the idle up to about 3k hold it there and pour slow. This is easy to do with a carb, but with EFI and a MAF in the way..... Maybe with a catsup bottle (the plastic squirt kind) you can squirt it down the vacuum line (in the TB) that goes to the oil fill tube in the valve cover.

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
Brake fluid is designed to absorb water. If you mix equal parts of the two you ruin the brake fluid. I'm not saying I know anything about pouring water and brake fluid in the motor, just that any benefits won't be from the properties of brake fluid. :confused: What is that all about?

I've accidentially blown acorns into the carb of a motor to no effect so I'm sure a little experimentation with some water would do no worse. :D

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I have no MAF, so thats not an issue. Way back BMW used to use walnut shells in there to achieve the same thing. I am just trying to cover all bases before I start to really bang my head over some of the problems I am experiencing. This product was recommended to me to check out. Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
the dealership i work at used to use run rite but i thought it was crap, if you go to a ford dealership you can get a bottle of what ford calls carburetor tune-up conditioner it comes in aerosol and non-aerosol cans. get the non and pour it down the brake booster vacuum hose being careful not to kill the engine when you've poured the whole bottle in shut the car off and let it sit for 30 mins. After it sits go drive the piss out of it for a little while. I've fixed lots of cars with a peice of carbon beteen the valve and piston this way

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have looked at a few different types of stuff...Can I use this on a turbo car?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
GM Top Engine Cleaner.P.N.1050002. Directions on can are old and for carbed engines.You can get it into the motor thru a large vac source such as brake booster vac line.

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
my8950 said:
Way back BMW used to use walnut shells in there to achieve the same thing.
I knew I was onto something with the acorns.

OK folks you heard it from me first... :p

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Can't believe no one mentioned BG. You can either get the top engine can or the 3 part deal that goes in the fuel system as well. Good stuff, but expensive. I also used the Chrysler top engine cleaner back in the 90's at the dealership. The key to using that stuff is that you must shut the engine off as soon as the can is empty and let it sit for about 2 hours to soak into the carbon. Then start it up and immediately take off WOT and run it until the smoke stops. I loved pulling out of the dealership like that. Everyone thinks you're a lousy mechanic about to blow up someone's car......:D That's the trick to make it work though.

Water and transmission fluid also work, but the soaking isn't necessary with water (cold water).

3 things to remember though.....

1. Don't use the brake booster hose to suck it in or you'll most likely hydrolock the engine.

2. Try not to stall the engine sucking it in.

3. It's bad for converters (can clog them up).

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think I should try a mixture of 50/50 trans fluid and water? Just put it in a spray/windex bottle or something like that. I am really hesitant to try & run water through the intake...I'll have to pop the intercooler & turbo off and just run it straight while I have someone else man the pedal to keep it running, or could just crank the idle up a bit and try that...

·
Registered
831 Posts
my8950 said:
Think I should try a mixture of 50/50 trans fluid and water? Just put it in a spray/windex bottle or something like that. I am really hesitant to try & run water through the intake...I'll have to pop the intercooler & turbo off and just run it straight while I have someone else man the pedal to keep it running, or could just crank the idle up a bit and try that...
Water wont hurt anything, as long as not too much is put in. This an age old solution for carbon buildup.
Its safer to run past the MAF than any chemicals.
Tranny fluid?????
I would suggest a Motorvac service to get rid of carbon on top of the valves.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll have to give it a shot...No MAF though, the MAF used to be in front of the turbo & IC, but I ditched the MAF setup and went another route...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts