Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I took my car to a local "fabrication shop" because I don't have access to a welder to put my mild steel cage kit in. I was recommend to go there by a friend who told me he knows the owner and he does good work. So I dropped my car off and spoke with the guy for a while about what I wanted and how he would be able to do it no problem. I wont mention the shop name until I have the legal battle done.

So I arrive Monday night to check on the car and see how its coming and I am beyond shocked at what he considered to be good satisfactory work. The cage kit is a Comp. Engineering pre bent kit. Needs some trimming and what not but he assured me it would be no issue. I open the door to find the main hoop BOLTED through my floor panels and dime sized burn holes all around the 6x6 panels where he went right through with the welder. The welds holding the main hoop to the plates are almost a full inch thick. One of the worst attempts at welding I have ever seen ever. I open the trunk so see the 2 6x6 plates in equally terrible shape. One side had been "welded" in and ground down to the point where I can't tell where the edges or the plate even are. The other side had yet to be ground down and the weld is disgusting, someone with an Arc unit could have done a much nicer job. Also he began to tack in one plate in the trunk and decided to move it. Now there are multiple (3) quarter size holes in my trunk from where he first tacked in the plate.

I picked my car up right then and there along with everything for the interior and have been on the phone with a lawyer, police and the shop owner all day long. So now what do I do? This was a sunburnt orange, original 5.0 coupe I drove to Florida to pick up. The kit came with instructions that clearly outline how to install it, and I made it very clear the car will need to be legal down to 10.00 so the cage must pass a tech inspection. Anyone ever deal with anything like this? What am I looking at price wise to fix the damage? I will get some pictures of some of it later on.

Im almost tempted to just go all out and fuel cell mini tub the car and get the rest of the roll bar installed to make it a cage and good down to 9.50 I believe is what it is....opinions? This would remove the now wrecked trunk panel and at least make the car nice again.

Also any advice about how to go after this loser legally would be great. On the phone today he told me the cage would pass any tech inspection and his welds are good ha... pics to come soon...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ok so I took my car to a local "fabrication shop" because I don't have access to a welder to put my mild steel cage kit in. I was recommend to go there by a friend who told me he knows the owner and he does good work. So I dropped my car off and spoke with the guy for a while about what I wanted and how he would be able to do it no problem. I wont mention the shop name until I have the legal battle done.

So I arrive Monday night to check on the car and see how its coming and I am beyond shocked at what he considered to be good satisfactory work. The cage kit is a Comp. Engineering pre bent kit. Needs some trimming and what not but he assured me it would be no issue. I open the door to find the main hoop BOLTED through my floor panels and dime sized burn holes all around the 6x6 panels where he went right through with the welder. The welds holding the main hoop to the plates are almost a full inch thick. One of the worst attempts at welding I have ever seen ever. I open the trunk so see the 2 6x6 plates in equally terrible shape. One side had been "welded" in and ground down to the point where I can't tell where the edges or the plate even are. The other side had yet to be ground down and the weld is disgusting, someone with an Arc unit could have done a much nicer job. Also he began to tack in one plate in the trunk and decided to move it. Now there are multiple (3) quarter size holes in my trunk from where he first tacked in the plate.

I picked my car up right then and there along with everything for the interior and have been on the phone with a lawyer, police and the shop owner all day long. So now what do I do? This was a sunburnt orange, original 5.0 coupe I drove to Florida to pick up. The kit came with instructions that clearly outline how to install it, and I made it very clear the car will need to be legal down to 10.00 so the cage must pass a tech inspection. Anyone ever deal with anything like this? What am I looking at price wise to fix the damage? I will get some pictures of some of it later on.

Im almost tempted to just go all out and fuel cell mini tub the car and get the rest of the roll bar installed to make it a cage and good down to 9.50 I believe is what it is....opinions? This would remove the now wrecked trunk panel and at least make the car nice again.

Also any advice about how to go after this loser legally would be great. On the phone today he told me the cage would pass any tech inspection and his welds are good ha... pics to come soon...
A real cage will cost you $2500 installed with parts so if you have a $300 in a cage and couple hundred in labor there is nothing that really can be done.Remeber YOU decided to ALTER THE ORINAL STRUCTURE of the car so laws do not appily with this service which has been done sorry.I feel bad but move on and go some where else and BTW post the name of the shop.

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I take the car to a professional shop who melts holes into the floor and bolts in a weld in cage without my permission and Im SOL? I clearly stated I wanted the cage WELDED in how does that turn into bolting it through my floor? I realize I wanted the structure of the original car altered, but that doesnt mean I wanted it done in a way that damages the car and doesnt allow me to take it to the track and run the times I planned to. I was told he could very easily put the cage in and properly weld it in to pass tech. He did not do as he stated...

heres the car to begin with before all this
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1138980

·
Registered
199 Posts
I say there should be some sort of restitution if the work is not done properly.
Take it to another fab shop and ask what they think of the work.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
wow man, i am really sorry to read this. I live in a smaller town and There are plenty of welding shops around here, and i'm sure they weld good, but i wouldn't trust ANYONE welding a cage in my car that hasn't done more than a couple in other SIMILAR cars. I hope you can get this worked out. It sucks the guy did ####ty work, obviously he didn't know what he was doing as much as he thought he did. Some people really don't understand what a GOOD job is when it comes down to installs like this. I wish you the best.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just came back from one of the areas best fab guys, wow. He noticed more problems then even I had. The guy at the shop tonight said he used flux core and could tell from the white powder left on all the tack welds and by just how large and "lava like" the main hoop welds are. Also he used a torch to bend one of the pipes which I did not even catch so like the fab guy said, that pipe will never ever pass any inspection. Also, he tacked in the plates in 2 spots in the trunk and used a hammer and chisel to remove one, leaving yet MORE holes in the trunk. He also trimmed down the main hoop and now after I remove it and cut the junk material off it will no longer be tall enough to be used so I need a new main hoop, 2 rear strut bars from heat bending them, as well as floors and trunk fixed. So much for listening to a friend who said the guy does real nice work....

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't figure out how to post a picture or else I would post this pic I just took of one of the plates.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
A real cage will cost you $2500 installed with parts so if you have a $300 in a cage and couple hundred in labor there is nothing that really can be done.Remeber YOU decided to ALTER THE ORINAL STRUCTURE of the car so laws do not appily with this service which has been done sorry.I feel bad but move on and go some where else and BTW post the name of the shop.

Thanks Matt
10pt mild cage for $2500 what have you been smoking it should cost between 14-1600 . I wont have but about 1600 and that is for a wolf pre-notched cage chris alston swing outs kit and the cage welded in .
How does someone not doing the proper work not apply to the work that was to be done buy the shop legal wise the original structure has nothing to do with the quality of work that was to be done .

To the OP take it to a real shop and have them document the poor work and improper work and the cost to repair the damage then go to the other guy that screwed up and give him a chance to pay for the the repair if he refuses let him know he will be hearing from a lawyer and it will cost more than just settling now . Good luck .

·
Registered
404 Posts
thats a beautiful car...i hate someone did that to it,hope eveything works out for you.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It sucks that he did a bad job. The holes can be (obiously not by him) fixed. I have been doing cages for a long time now, and I can tell you I won't put in a Competition engineering or equivilant bar/cage. I am not covering for his lack of craftmanship, but why would you want to put such a cheap kit in your nice car??? Take it to a well known shop and have a custom put in. Or buy a wolfe kit. You cannot go wrong with a Wolfe jig notched kit. Unless you again find someone that cannot weld.
Good luck, but I think it is going to cost you more $$$ to go after the guy, then it would to just move on.

·
Registered
451 Posts
10pt mild cage for $2500 what have you been smoking it should cost between 14-1600 . I wont have but about 1600 and that is for a wolf pre-notched cage chris alston swing outs kit and the cage welded in .
How does someone not doing the proper work not apply to the work that was to be done buy the shop legal wise the original structure has nothing to do with the quality of work that was to be done .

To the OP take it to a real shop and have them document the poor work and improper work and the cost to repair the damage then go to the other guy that screwed up and give him a chance to pay for the the repair if he refuses let him know he will be hearing from a lawyer and it will cost more than just settling now . Good luck .

And BTW TeamZ did my cage and I paid a good amount of money but Dave uses chrome-moly instead of mild steel, Chrome-moly cost more but is lighter and stronger.And its custom made to the car not a pre-fab kit you are talking about.There is a reaosn why 90% of the NMRA and NMCA racers have there cars build by him.I understand he got fuked but we are building a racecar no court whats to here about that its not like he had a brake job done on his personal car and it failed then you can go after them.

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
And BTW TeamZ did my cage and I paid a good amount of money but Dave uses chrome-moly instead of mild steel, Chrome-moly cost more but is lighter and stronger.And its custom made to the car not a pre-fab kit you are talking about.There is a reaosn why 90% of the NMRA and NMCA racers have there cars build by him.I understand he got fuked but we are building a racecar no court whats to here about that its not like he had a brake job done on his personal car and it failed then you can go after them.

Thanks Matt
It does not matter if its a race car or not to the courts the fact the court will look at is was the work done properly and with documentation the OP will be able to prove the work was not done properly to the court .
Still even with chrome-moly it would have only cost me 215.00 more for that still a far cry from 2500.00 . I have seen wolfe pre notched cages in person and on corral and other forums and they fit great and tight to the interior they are not some cheap kit thats why I bought mine .

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
This is why I do everything myself.. I have about $500 in my cage, including the window net, and its as good or better then any chassis shop job....

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why did I go with that cage? because the car IS NOT honestly a "race car". Im 22 college kid who got a well built 306 and hopes to go fast enough to make the cage worth putting in. My goal was 11.5 and to how many guys here thats not a race car. Like I said I set a goal and this cage fit my goal. A moly custom cage is just out of budget plain and simple. My budget has jack ##### to do with the work this guy did. And I never said it was a welding shop, I said it was a fabrication shop and he stated that he KNEW the rules for the kit and KNEW how to install properly and weld it correctly. I am capable to do the install myself, but with no welder any more, a house thats not complete as we just built it this summer, and a bunch of other reasons, I just had him do it. My cage selection, budget, material use in my opinion has NOTHING to do with his HORRIBLE ability. Like I said if I could figure out how to post a damn pic and people saw how disgusting the work is, I think anyone would say I have a true case in court. Small claims court is 35 bucks, and no lawyer...

·
Registered
451 Posts
This is why I do everything myself.. I have about $500 in my cage, including the window net, and its as good or better then any chassis shop job....
Pics please so we can see heres mine from Team-Z cert.to 8.50 made of chrome-moly tig welded.Honestly I dont think your work is better then his if so you would be building the NMRA and NMCA cars insted of him just on a side note so you know.

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I understand he got fuked but we are building a racecar no court whats to here about that its not like he had a brake job done on his personal car and it failed then you can go after them.

Thanks Matt
That is beyond untrue. If he had welded the entire cage in and I was somehow injured and or killed in an accident due his poor work, I bet a court would have alot to say. Drag car or not, I was paying for a service that was NOT provided.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts