Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I was just reading an article last night in 5.0 mag where they had a ...

9.7:1 306
edel vic jr's mildly ported
anderson cam (N-91???)
edel vic jr intake
carb (650/750 I forget)

406 flywheel HP

HP peak @ 6200 if I remember correctly.

I'd like to use those heads.... but on a 351 though :evil:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think that (don't know him personally) Dr. Dremel is using them on a stock block! Needless to say, he's kicking a$$ with them. I think he's running somewhere around 115-120 mph with Vic' Jr's and a well-matched top-end combo. Can't remember if he's carbed or not...I'm sure someone will be quick to tune in on this one.

FWIW, I think most people stay away from them on 306's because of the 2.05" intake valve. Like said above, they are supposed to rock on a SBF or Windsor/stroker. Out of the box valve gear is supposed to be pretty good for Edelbrock, too.

I would like to see a full Edelbrock top end on a well built 331/347 with Vic. Jr. heads and intake, a custom cam, and a 750 carb. Nice power....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys...

I was about to order some AFR 185 heads for a little 306 project and came across some Vic Jrs. here locally for a whole lot less and was wondering what they might do.

My project is a little more wild than the 5.0 magazine article, as I am thinking about somewhere around 10.8 to 1 compression and a small (but still nasty nonetheless) solid roller for the street. Topped with a Holley intake, long tubes, etc....

If anyone else has any info, post on up! I'd love to hear anything ya got!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
93-ex-chp said:
I was just reading an article last night in 5.0 mag where they had a ...

9.7:1 306
edel vic jr's mildly ported
anderson cam (N-91???)
edel vic jr intake
carb (650/750 I forget)

406 flywheel HP

HP peak @ 6200 if I remember correctly.

I'd like to use those heads.... but on a 351 though :evil:
i forgot to ask, was this article recent?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You could make nasty set of heads with them. I could make them flow more, and get the runners down to about 190 to 200cc's. It would make for a bad little 6,500 rpm 306.

Good luck, Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
619 Posts
My friend has them on his 308 in a Fairmont. Best of 12.48 on the motor and 11.17 on a 125 shot. Here is basically what it has

.060 over 302 block
Flat top TRW forged pistons
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
Edelbrock Performer RPM camshaft
Edelbrock 750 carb
C4 with a GER 4,500 stall
4.30 gears

Everything was STOCK other than that. Notice the mismatch on parts with the engine though, he has already learned the car needs more intake and camshaft to make it go 11's N/A. He already has a super victor, demon carb, and a new cam is on the way for it. Ought to click off some 11.60's area with some chassis work N/A and he is also stepping up on the N20 side to around 200 or so. Ought to make one killer car for the Buick vs. Ford shootout this year.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
11.60's??? You can't say that for sure. It may go 12.60's, I hope he is going to turn around 7,500. That is some big stuff for a little 308. It would work good with 12.5:1 comp., and turning it 7,500. Should be a screamer if he does that. I would like to know what it does.

Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think what is important here is a cam that can put the big ports to use through RPM and of course, the extra compression to put the cam to use as well...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Guess you didnt see what his best N/A pass has been already. The car has STOCK suspension and only had a set of subframes on it. His old boneyard 351 went 11.20's in a coupe that was gutted. Stock suspension, no sway bar, stock 351 out of a mid 70's van with new rings/bearings/gaskets/rpm intake and camshaft on a 175 shot of N2O. For atleast 6 months it was backed by a 4cly T5 as well.

Anyways this car WILL see 11's N/A no problem with the cage and suspension work that is now done to it. Once the engine is back together with the new cam he will be making some passes on it. Al I hope your able to make it to Noble this year as well, you can see this ol' Fairmont get it on down there.

Badboss351 said:
11.60's??? You can't say that for sure. It may go 12.60's, I hope he is going to turn around 7,500. That is some big stuff for a little 308. It would work good with 12.5:1 comp., and turning it 7,500. Should be a screamer if he does that. I would like to know what it does.

Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I run them on my 302 blower combo. (still waiting on the blower) With only 9:1 comp and a custom blower cam I do 320 rwhp. Should easily do 500 rwhp with boost. I was basically looking for a head that I could really grow into without having to put alot of $$ into when I go to a good block.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes I run the jrs on a stock 90 bottom end with a anderson n91 cam a vict jr intake and a 750 carb and it traps 120 plus and makes 388 to the wheels.The peak power is at 6800 andI shift at 7000.Buy the heads you wont be sorry and youll have room to grow.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
63T-Bolt said:
Guess you didnt see what his best N/A pass has been already. The car has STOCK suspension and only had a set of subframes on it. His old boneyard 351 went 11.20's in a coupe that was gutted. Stock suspension, no sway bar, stock 351 out of a mid 70's van with new rings/bearings/gaskets/rpm intake and camshaft on a 175 shot of N2O. For atleast 6 months it was backed by a 4cly T5 as well.

Anyways this car WILL see 11's N/A no problem with the cage and suspension work that is now done to it. Once the engine is back together with the new cam he will be making some passes on it. Al I hope your able to make it to Noble this year as well, you can see this ol' Fairmont get it on down there.
63 T-bolt, you know I'm going to be at Noble baby!! Its going to be a slaughter of Buicks this year...I just about got the car back together with the igloo and that should mean deep deep nines right there...

Dr. Dremel, thanks for the input dude, that is the kind of stuff I was looking for. I was hoping to get this set of Voc Jrs. here locally and have them milled to 54cc (if possible) to get my compression up and then buzz this thing on up to about 6800 RPM.

What are the specs on the N91 cam? The solid I have is 588/588 (.020" lash), 280/286, 236/[email protected]", 110 LSA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts