Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
I was wondering if anybody is using the Edelbrock Performer RPM 351W camshaft in their 351? I was considering building up my 351W with the Edelbrock components that dyno out to make 400hp. That number sounds plenty good for the street. At least where I live. I want to know what the idle is like (rough, lopey, fair, smooth?). I would like some recommendations on rear gear ratios for street use and drag radials at most. I will be replacing my 7.5" with an 8.8", that goes without saying. Any suggestions on exhaust diameter? 3"? 2.5"? If figured I would get a quicker and better response form the corral than from Edelbrock.

Thanks all,

Stanman

·
Registered
729 Posts
A friend ran the 302 version of that cam (same specs but 112 lsa) in a carbed 302. Was happy with it's performance. IMO it's a tad mild for a 351. Did you catch the Junkyard Jewel article in Hot Rod last year w/ the 351 w/ P heads? Good inexpensive cam used in that article. Comp 280H. They've also got a couple Xtreme Energy flat tappets that would work well w/ the Ebok heads too. If money is tight tho and you just want to get E'boks "package"........I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.

I'd imagine it'd have a slight lope in a 351. A 2.5" exhaust should work well.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Hey 84GT
what kind of power did the Hot Rod buildup put out?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had that cam. 270 rwhp and 300tq with stock Windsor Sr heads Performer intake and 650 DP. Kida lumpy idle but streetable most of the power is in the 3000 - 6000 rpm range. Would have had more power with a RPM intake and 10 :1 compression Mine was 9 or less.

84_gt you wouldnt happen to have a copy of that article would you? I am planning on putting a set of P heads on a 351 and would like to see it.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I'm using it....it isn't too mild if you have out of the box edel heads or ported stockers

don't expect 400hp from the edelbrock package though

·
Registered
729 Posts
Mighty Mouse........it made just over 380 fwhp w/ the unported P heads, and topped 400 fwhp w/ GT-40X alum's. Made only 360ish w/ the unported Winsdor Sr.s but we've all seen how lousy those are out of the box.

5.8lx......I've got the first part of the two part series. They only hit 330ish in that part because of poor compression (bad ring clearance in the pistons). They were also running a small XE flat tappet I think. If you can give me a couple days I can scan the second part too. I'll send both but it's really the second part that gives the good numbers.

Remember......that 400fwhp number is on an engine dyno. Likely 1 3/4" open longtubes, elec. water pump, and no accessories. I agree tho......don't necessarily expect to hit the number.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MAT88GT

What rear gear ratio are you running with that cam? What do you recommend?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts