Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Not a fan. 50 year old tech. There are modern solutions that are much better...and less ugly.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I had one on a car I bought, not a carb but had a Fitech and it ran great. Limits you on air cleaner choices.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had one on a car I bought, not a carb but had a Fitech and it ran great. Limits you on air cleaner choices.
I read that about the Air Cleaner.. 83 Carbed with stock Air filter..Need to check that before I make a dist decision..

·
Registered
322 Posts
wont fit. Have an 85gt at home with hei..new blueprint motor came with it and pops wanted to keep the hei.

Found a 1985 cfi thunderbird air cleaner and base...swapped on the stock 85 mustang snorkles and a 1/4 air cleaner spacer things just fit...Needed to fab up the new cross over for the strut bar but it was all worth it to keep things looking semi stock like.

I stripped sand blasted everything and powdercoated the base and snorkles with high gloss jet black powder and did the lid in chrome powder.

I think originally it was more of a semigloss but this high gloss black sure looks nice.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
normally when I'm at the drag strip and I see a Ford, I have to go look. When I look and see an HEI distributor, I keep walking.

They are easy to hook up. That is their only positive.

as said, the tech is OLD, TFI blows it away and even TFI is old tech.

With all that said, I tried one. Removed a failing MSD distributor and MSD 6AL box on 15:1 700hp naturally aspirated sbf. There was no ET or MPH difference anywhere on the track. It is just huge, ugly, and RIGHT there on the front of the engine, blocking the view of the entire engine. Plus an air cleaner is tougher to fit, and because it's so large in diameter a carburetor bowl isn't going to come off easily should that need arise (and it will)-negating the removal of either the distributor or the carburetor. Mine is MFI (Ron's system, somewhat similar to a fuel or alcohol dragster/flopper/altered in it's function) methanol injection, only real issue I ran into was the shutoff valve cable was interfering with the distributor. Not a huge issue to move the bracket just something I had to do. Went back to MSD. Would like to get rid of the distributor altogether but since there is nothing proven that going COP or CNP is any better, at least not in my application, I ain't gonna spend $1500 for it. A $250 distributor is fine and has worked for over 30 years on this car and is working now.

when it's in the back of the engine you never really notice it until it's time to replace the module again. And again. And again. Buick and caddy had them on the front of the engine, and there they were all by themselves, just laying there saying "hey look at my big ugly self"--and "at least I'm easier to get to when you have to put another module in".

·
Registered
3 Posts
normally when I'm at the drag strip and I see a Ford, I have to go look. When I look and see an HEI distributor, I keep walking.

They are easy to hook up. That is their only positive.

as said, the tech is OLD, TFI blows it away and even TFI is old tech.

With all that said, I tried one. Removed a failing MSD distributor and MSD 6AL box on 15:1 700hp naturally aspirated sbf. There was no ET or MPH difference anywhere on the track. It is just huge, ugly, and RIGHT there on the front of the engine, blocking the view of the entire engine. Plus an air cleaner is tougher to fit, and because it's so large in diameter a carburetor bowl isn't going to come off easily should that need arise (and it will)-negating the removal of either the distributor or the carburetor. Mine is MFI (Ron's system, somewhat similar to a fuel or alcohol dragster/flopper/altered in it's function) methanol injection, only real issue I ran into was the shutoff valve cable was interfering with the distributor. Not a huge issue to move the bracket just something I had to do. Went back to MSD. Would like to get rid of the distributor altogether but since there is nothing proven that going COP or CNP is any better, at least not in my application, I ain't gonna spend $1500 for it. A $250 distributor is fine and has worked for over 30 years on this car and is working now.

when it's in the back of the engine you never really notice it until it's time to replace the module again. And again. And again. Buick and caddy had them on the front of the engine, and there they were all by themselves, just laying there saying "hey look at my big ugly self"--and "at least I'm easier to get to when you have to put another module in".
[/QUOTE
I loved these on my old GM cars.. What are they like on a carbureted SBF?
I have had one on my '54 Ford with a 302 & AOD for over six years and no issues since I had to totally rewire the car the one wire hook up with the HEI was a no brainer since the internals are all Chevy HEI it's EZ to find parts if needed. The Intake is a Professional Products Typhoon which has the front and rear water passes like the early Weiand Stealth the Carb is a Cater Competition Series 625 CFM
Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
264 Posts
Running one on my 351M simply because the wiring was hacked up on my 90 LX and was just simply easier to wire in. After fooling w the vacuum advance to work with mine cause it has a lower vacuum at idle it works like a charm. Had to hack the hole in the hood a lil bigger tho, cause it sticks out thru the hood...

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Progression ignition is the only way to go for non ECU vehicles. Have one on my 1970 Olds. Tuning is simple, total control of your timing. You get a small cap/remote coil set up too so its looks like a Ford.
Way overkill for my grocery getter... I think I will pass on the HEI too, as I do not want to modify my air cleaner..
By the time I rebuild my stock dist and install a steel gear, I can almost buy a DUI duraspark.....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Way overkill for my grocery getter... I think I will pass on the HEI too, as I do not want to modify my air cleaner..
By the time I rebuild my stock dist and install a steel gear, I can almost buy a DUI duraspark.....
You can get a small cap with remote coil. You'll never be able to tune a regular distributer like the Progression either. Only way to go if your non EFI.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can get a small cap with remote coil. You'll never be able to tune a regular distributer like the Progression either. Only way to go if your non EFI.
I appreciate your help here but probably not going to spend that much on a distributor... Bag of groceries in the trunk will never know the difference..LOL

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
why not a 85gt distributor from the parts store and duraspark ignition or msd box? you can also run a remote HEI module.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
why not a 85gt distributor from the parts store and duraspark ignition or msd box? you can also run a remote HEI module.
Possible way to go.. I have read on here that the Cardone (parts store) rebuilds can be hit or miss...

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I have never had an issue with them working. I have had issues that they gave me a non roller gear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts