Ford Mustang Forums banner

anyone using bassani longtube stepped headers

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  YSIGONZO 
#1 ·
anyone using bassani long tube .step headers

I was just wondering if they were worth the money and If anyone threw them and made more power then there old headers.I currently run 1 5/8 hookers with vict jr heads and was thinking of going to a 1 3/4 header any recommendations?

#2 ·
I went from a BBK 1 5/8" longtube to a Bassani 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" stepped longtube, and picked up close to 15 rwhp and 10 tq on a N/A 306.

The quality and fit are better than anything else I have seen mass produced.

I liked them so much, I stepped up to the bigger 1 3/4"-1 7/8" this spring.

#3 ·
93lx11sNA said:
I went from a BBK 1 5/8" longtube to a Bassani 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" stepped longtube, and picked up close to 15 rwhp and 10 tq on a N/A 306.

I have the 1 5/8 - 1 3/4's as well, but I've yet to install them. I saw a friend of mine's car who has the 1 3/4 - 1 7/8's and they nearly drag the ground, even after they had to raise the car back to stock ride height - so I've been hesitant to install them. Although this is on a sn95 chassis. Mine is a fox, and my question is are the 1 5/8 - 1 3/4 headers streetable - do they nearly drag the ground, could you clear speed bumps, etc? My cobra is lowered, but I wouldnt mind putting the stock srpings back in, if the power is worth it. So, how do the smaller bassanis fit with regard to ground clearance? Thanks.

Take it easy!
josh

#4 ·
93lx11sNA said:

How radical was this N/A 306 you're talking about? I would love to gain some more power over these 1 5/8" BBK's. Did that include using an o/r bassani h/x pipe as well?

Just curious if it would be beneficial for my more mild combo.

Greg

#6 ·
I have stock height solid motor mounts and the car is near factory ride height. The smaller stepped headers were lower than the stock exhaust, but with a full 3" collector, that is expected. Even with the bigger headers, I have never touched them down, and probably still have 3" or so of ground clearance(I'll measure later and let you know for sure).

When I put them on initially, the car had a Performer RPM intake with the same cam and heads as in my sig. The power before was about 344 at the wheels, and 360 after. The swap also included a 3" Dr. Gas x pipe(from a BBK 2.5" H), and 3" Race Magnum mufflers(from a MAC 2.5" system). So I'm sure that the gains are not from the headers alone, but if you are swapping in a header with a full 3" collector, I would imagine you would swap in an exhaust to match.

Later,
Joe Correia.

#7 ·
The lowest part of either header is 4 1/8" from the ground. This is at the front of the collector where it is expanded to fit the primaries, and at the flange where it bolts to the X-pipe.

Later,
Joe C.

#8 ·
Bassani stepped header primary....

Joe C,

I've heard from a reliable source, who's used the Bassani 1 3/4- 1 7/8" stepped Bassani's, that the primary only measures 1 1/2" at the flange? Can you confirm this? Also, which header gasket do you use? I'm contemplating spending the money for stepped headers as well, to get the power I'm after (still). Also, does the Bassani LT's clear a McCleod/ Lakewood bellhousing? Thanks,

Andy

#9 ·
Andy,
I think the first 3/4" or so(from the flange) is the same as the 1 5/8" primary was. I don't think it is as small as 1 1/2", but definately smaller than 1 3/4". I also don't think that this is a restriction, but probably helps exhaust exiting the chamber by keeping velocity up. Kind of like a port extension on a flow bench, for example.

I used 1 Bassani gasket and 1 Fel-pro, just for the sake of comparison. The first one that leaks gets tossed. The Bassani gasket included with the kit is pretty nice. If you haven't seen them, the body is stainless, with graphite inserts that are replaceable. I have seen that type of gasket retailing for $50 or so. The only problem I had with the Bassani gasket was that after carving it up to match the port, there was not much of the graphite material left, so I only used one of them to see if it would hold up or just blow out in a week. So far, so good.

I had to grind some bellhousing(again), and "massage" some firewall on the passenger's side, but the driver's side fit no problem. They fit as well as anything else I have ever seen(and better than most).

Later,
Joe Correia.

#10 ·
Joe,
Thanks for the reply. Which RaceMagnums do you run, Ultra Flo's or Bullit's? I was more considering this muffler for the price compared to Borla, Spintech. How do they sound campared to your old setup?

Andy

#11 ·
I use the Race magnum oval. Thre biggest factors in the decision were price and the inner workings of the muffler staying at a consistant 3". Some of the cheaper mufflers neck down inside the muffler, so watch out for that when you are looking around.

It's hard to describe what the car sounds like now, but it definately doesn't sound like MAC or Flowmaster, or anything else out there, for that matter. The best descriptions I have heard when people hear it for the first time were: "a 5 liter Yamaha on steroids", and "a Harley from hell".

Sorry I don't have anything I can post so you can hear it.

Later,
Joe Correia.

#13 ·
Somehow I missed this when I made a new thread.

Anyway, I am in the same boat, trying to decide. Every place I call has said the Bassani hang to low for street use and hard to get in place. Even a place that heavily advertises Bassani.
Basically every shop says to go w/ BBK and Dr. Gas.

#14 ·
Seeing that this post is almost 4 years old, are the debates still valid? I have a 347 waiting to be dropped in and the headers and x-pipe are basically the last decision I need to make. Do the Bassani's make considerable more power than the BBK's? For $180 they better!

#16 ·
Mine are really low to the ground. Here is a pic of them from the side. Please excuse the bag i drug up with them. Car us stock height.

#17 ·
I'll never run them again...hang way to low(1 5/8- 1 3/4 stepped) and bottomed them a few times on the street. Thats a great feeling by the way. :mad: Car had B springs. Not to mention trying to get that damn collector on/off after they've been heat cycled. Maybe it was just me, i had them off numerous times and everytime sucked...even used anti-sieze on it but didn't help in removal. Block of wood and a bfh...again, great feeling beating on a set of high dollar headers,lol. Sure the first fitment went great,lol.

I'll stick with the 1 3/4 bbk's, they tucked up great...not to mention a little easier on the wallet.

#18 ·
u could always go custom ceramic coated. $650. custom fit for ur head and make car. mine never bottomed out and will last a lifetime. I would not go any bigger than 1 3/4" on a 306 unless it's boosted.

RCI customs in the back of RacePages magazine.

#20 ·
All of the Bassani crap I have used, installed, and otherwise dealt with fit like garbage.

I will never recommend their product to ANYONE!

They hang very low to the ground, (ripped a molding off the bottom of my trailer they hang so low), they are a nightmare to get to fit around a steel bellhousing, and the last set (Big stepped headers) smacked into my steering shaft and frame rail of the car!!!! It even has a tiny aftermarket shaft. To me fit is an important part of quality. You buy a $600 set of headers and have to take a big hammer to them, that quality they brag about is out the door..... that says nothing about the high dollar coating I had to ruin on a lot of sets.... by banging on them to get them to fit. God forbid you ever need to take the headers out. GOOD luck with the POS misaligned collectors they give you....

My recommendation would be Accufab, Kooks or someone else.

:Rant over:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.