Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Formerly BLOWN1989SALEEN
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im curious if anyone has tried usind either -8 or -10 AN fittings and braided line for the oil return on their vortech, im not sure if the clearance is there on the compressor due to the closeness of the bracket to where the fitting would be? no real performance advantage, just easier to remove the return line when taking the head unit out;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am gonna do that on my turbo setup if I can ever get it all together. I hope it works well.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
What sizes would you use for the oil feed line? My stock red tibe has seen better days!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Maybe this will help...

I welded a steel -8 AN fitting into my Moroso pan before installing it on the engine. Another way to do it, would be to use a fuel-cell style bulkhead with an o-ring behind the nut for a seal if you don't have the means to weld a fitting in your pan.

I inserted a -8 AN XPR push-lock hose end into the supplied cloth-braid rubber hose supplied by Vortech. At the supercharger end of the hose on Vortech installs, there is insufficient space to use AN fittings, so I retained the supplied connection. Also, I retained the supplied hose as it is a good quality hose, and is more flexible than blue pushlock of steel braided hose.

It is a nice clean, leak free, way to do the drain hose install, if your pan is off. Disconnects in about 20 seconds with no headaches (or screwdriver gashes in your fingers).

Either way, you really need the pan off to do it right, but either way, it's worth the time and trouble.

Edit: Vortech now services the oil feed line with a nice steel braided piece grom Goodridge with a clear plastic cover. Nice part, not worth making one yourself for the money. It's -4 AN BTW.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My -8 lines are "so close" to being able to tighten while attached to the brackets - I can tighten them, but I think I'll always lift it from the bracket before loosening it. The pan end was easy - TIG weld a couple of fittings in place, and the job's done!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
OOPS

·
Formerly BLOWN1989SALEEN
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
750hp said:
My -8 lines are "so close" to being able to tighten while attached to the brackets - I can tighten them, but I think I'll always lift it from the bracket before loosening it. The pan end was easy - TIG weld a couple of fittings in place, and the job's done!

so you WERE able to put an -8AN fitting on the head unit for the oil return? you didnt have any fitment problems with the bracket and the AN fitting?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry for not being more specific - I've used a flat sheet of 1/2" aluminum to mount my YS blower on the driver's side. This setup allows you to remove the -8 line. It's tight, but it's possible. In the future, I think I'll probably just remove the line at the pan end to make it easier though....

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Kevins89notch5.0 said:
What sizes would you use for the oil feed line? My stock red tibe has seen better days!!
I'm going to be using the braided fuel return line (from the rail to the FMU) that comes in the vortech kit. I won't need it anymore since I upgraded to a complete Aero kit, and I happened to sit the red line right beside the braided fuel line, and it turns out the are IDENTICAL(!). The only thing I have to fix is the end that connects to the fuel rail (the other end is already AN and connects perfect to the brass SC inlet fitting) I will just cut it off and hook up a #4 AN to that end.

·
Registered
121 Posts
OK - I'm on a roll here. I promise that this is the last photo that I'll put on this thread!!!:rolleyes:

I used -4 braided hose, with a T-Piece at the motor for the pressure gauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts