Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Mustang GT, coyote swapped*
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im using a volvo pump mounted in the trunk all -6an fittings, and will have a cooler so idea:

pump to rack, rack to cooler/filter, to pump.

A friend recommended I use an inline filter to filter the PS fluid/ATF before it hits the pump because metal shavings from the rack can damage/ruin the pump. Any of you users do this? Good insurance or am I over thinking it?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I don’t have PS on my car, but run one of these on my truck. I change the filter every couple of years with the ATF. It has a filter and magnet to catch garbage.

Rusty

I like it, I just need it to have -6an on both ends, I was thinking of using this:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
526 Posts
Im using a volvo pump mounted in the trunk all -6an fittings, and will have a cooler so idea:

pump to rack, rack to cooler/filter, to pump.

A friend recommended I use an inline filter to filter the PS fluid/ATF before it hits the pump because metal shavings from the rack can damage/ruin the pump. Any of you users do this? Good insurance or am I over thinking it?
I've never heard of a filter for a power steering system. I've never changed the fluid in any of my vehicles and never had a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never heard of a filter for a power steering system. I've never changed the fluid in any of my vehicles and never had a problem.
My F250 has gone through a couple of PS pumps, the ATF gets as dark as used motor oil sometimes. A drain/fill with one of those filters every two to three years has worked well for me to keep from needing another reman PS pump. There isn’t much fluid in these systems for how hard they are used.

Rusty

·
Registered
526 Posts
My F250 has gone through a couple of PS pumps, the ATF gets as dark as used motor oil sometimes. A drain/fill with one of those filters every two to three years has worked well for me to keep from needing another reman PS pump. There isn’t much fluid in these systems for how hard they are used.

Rusty
There is not much fluid. Guess I've been lucky as I've never had a pump go out on any vehicle I've had. Hoses have broke.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have one. You need it to warranty the new rack. Works good with the magnet like the other guy said. I cleaned it after three months and it was a little dirty. Magnet had fine dust on it

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have one. You need it to warranty the new rack. Works good with the magnet like the other guy said. I cleaned it after three months and it was a little dirty. Magnet had fine dust on it
My Colorado has electric steering, same thing Ford has. Their excuse is for better mileage which is a joke. My '19 Colorado is harder on gas than my '10 was and both are 4 wheeler's and extended cabs. Hydraulic roller cam, metric rings was all suppose to be for better mileage.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,060 Posts
just use some quality fluid like red line, not some $1/gallon junk ;)

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,060 Posts
don't think you can use fuel filters in an oil application.

i'm using one of these on my turbo feed line before the turbo, which is 4AN but they also make a 6AN version

although i think you're over thinking this power steering filtration thing. typically people are concerned with ps fluid temps and add coolers

am curious why the pump is in the trunk?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I’ve never used, or see anyone (in person) run a filter on their ps before. From what I understand it’s not really used for the pump, more for the workings of the rack itself.

It‘s not exactly going to hurt anything if you run a filter. I‘d probably just use a mesh screen style fuel filter, the aeromotive or summit billet ones with the removable elements. They’re the best deal for the price. The smaller, cheaper inline filters are almost all garbage.

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

This is on a track car you are speaking of?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
don't think you can use fuel filters in an oil application.

i'm using one of these on my turbo feed line before the turbo, which is 4AN but they also make a 6AN version

although i think you're over thinking this power steering filtration thing. typically people are concerned with ps fluid temps and add coolers

am curious why the pump is in the trunk?

I have a cooler, a PS cooler is a must on a track foxbody. That was the first thing i blew on track was PS pump many years ago. Pump in trunk for better weight distribution, foxes are nose heavy, battery in trunk, PS pump in trunk, PS cooler in trunk, any weight I can remove from the front and put in the trunk is a benefit. Ive also got my seat down and back i think like 8 inches back. One day ill push this coyote motor back, and maybe even put the radiator in the trunk, I need to buy some long acre scales and corner balance her with this new setup and go from there.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve never used, or see anyone (in person) run a filter on their ps before. From what I understand it’s not really used for the pump, more for the workings of the rack itself.

It‘s not exactly going to hurt anything if you run a filter. I‘d probably just use a mesh screen style fuel filter, the aeromotive or summit billet ones with the removable elements. They’re the best deal for the price. The smaller, cheaper inline filters are almost all garbage.
Metal shavings come off rack and go into pump, a friend suggested running a filter to save the pump, (add years of life) to the pump.

Ive even seen COOLANT filters on race cars, trust me im not the first person doing this.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just use some quality fluid like red line, not some $1/gallon junk ;)
Funny enought (long story long) For years i ran PS fluid in my stock fox PS pump, years later i realized youre suppose to run ATF, so i switches to ATF, now on this electric volvo pump youre actually suppose to use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...n_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

but ive heard people just running ATF. My thoughts, 1. Im using a lot more line so ill have more fluid (more fluid yields less temp in the fluid) 2. Im running a cooler so I dont think heat will be a problem.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Funny enought (long story long) For years i ran PS fluid in my stock fox PS pump, years later i realized youre suppose to run ATF, so i switches to ATF, now on this electric volvo pump youre actually suppose to use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...n_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

but ive heard people just running ATF. My thoughts, 1. Im using a lot more line so ill have more fluid (more fluid yields less temp in the fluid) 2. Im running a cooler so I dont think heat will be a problem.
Has anyone mentioned Lubegard PS fluid, I'm wondering if it has any reputation yet? I was considering a PS filter for my mail truck, but not since planning to retire. I was planning for two engine filter remote adapters, and two big filters(mainly to gain cooling capacity). I bought about ten quarts of the Lubegard PS fluid, it is high but I was planning to need the best.

I would consider the filter's micron level, a 140 micron filter won't help a ton. An engine filter is usually around 15 microns, and a bypass oil filter should be 2-3 microns(what semi's use for their oil).

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Metal shavings come off rack and go into pump, a friend suggested running a filter to save the pump, (add years of life) to the pump.

Ive even seen COOLANT filters on race cars, trust me im not the first person doing this.
I wouldn’t beworried about the pump going, I’d be more worried about the piston in the rack hanging up. I actually had that happen in my 96.

Coolant filters are a waste.

I’m kinda curious though, if you’re worried about weight and reliability; why don’t you just convert to a manual steering setup?

To the comment about the atf, we almost always use atf as power steering fluid. Never had a problem, and it keeps everything very clean.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts