Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching to get an idea of how people liked their aluminum driveshafts, came across some threads on the FMS aluminum shaft knocking up against their Lakewood safety loop during launches and cornering. Is this a guaranteed issue I'm going to face if I order the driveshaft? I've already got the Lakewood loop, and not really in the mood to replace it with another unit such as the HPM, so I wanted to get some input from anyone who may have or may have had the setup. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Mike--you may be able to make it clear. But I knocked the balance weight off mine because I underestimated the trans movement on a rather violent launch. It's the bolt heads that will hit. You could mark it the way it is, take it off, weld it up, then remove the bolts, and you will probably have plenty of clearance.

Joe

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe Lynch said:
Mike--you may be able to make it clear. But I knocked the balance weight off mine because I underestimated the trans movement on a rather violent launch. It's the bolt heads that will hit. You could mark it the way it is, take it off, weld it up, then remove the bolts, and you will probably have plenty of clearance.

Joe
I was thinking about that just last night Joe, as the bolt heads stick out a good 1/4-3/8" into the center of the loop. If I knew how to weld that'd be an easier decision, but at least I know it's a possibility down the road if I ever do decide to get that driveshaft.

So, on the driveshaft...is it worth it? :) My main reason was to help increase (however marginal the increase may be) the chance of my stock diff and axles holding up with 4.30s and 15" BFGs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts