Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a Autotranny stang for my son....he's
not ready for a 5spd. Anyway here are my questions:

C-4 with a shift kit and small stall converter worth the money?

What gears in the rear with a C-4 I figure 3.55?

Is the C-4 a pretty good tranny for daily driving?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Without the overdrive I don't think a C4 is the best candidate for a daily driver, even with 3.55 gears. Highway driving is where you notice it the most since the engine is reving pretty high. I would think that an AOD would work fine with a shift kit and converter but I have no first hand knowledge on how well the AOD's work out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hummmmmmm I was thinking 3.42 or 3.55 @ the most.....aod
huh. I have heard they are crap....heavy....expensive. It does
allow you to run 4.10's. c4 third gear is 1.1 right....thats like the
4th in a 5spd right. I'm just scatching my head try to find him
a starter car that can take a licking and keep on ticking. I know
a 3 spd is hard to find the right combo in rear gears.

ANYONE else have any idea's I'm wide open for suggestion.

We have not bought the car yet but is easy to find auto 5.0's
that need tranny work cheap.

·
Registered
349 Posts
im looking into changing to a c-4 setup. I dont want to pull my 3.73's, so i plan on running a tall rear tire to help lower freeway revs, like a 275-60-15

yes, 3rd in a c-4 is like 4th in a stick, you can try diff tire combo's and rear gear and test it in 4th b4 you swap trannys

·
Registered
743 Posts
For a daily driver just get him an AOD and put a decent stall and shift kit in it. The C4 isn't as friendly on the street.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK new plan........dad gets a new tremec pulls the T45 out of the
cobra. Son gets aod to cut his teeth on then when it fails as
expected I install the T45 out of the cobra in the fox body.

I like that plan!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
The aod CAN fail with lower hp combo's, but shouldn't if not abused. With a shift kit and converter it should be near as fast as a properly driven 5 speed to boot. I don't understand the ready for a 5 speed thing though, practice makes perfect! He may burn a clutch up, but stick a lifetime warranty one in there (kragen etc) and tell me he has to do the work if/when it goes out, then there is nothing to lose and you won't have to spend the money on a converter. What do you plan on the car being used for and what modifications are planned?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Let me see here: dad has mustang, dad building son a mustang...Can you be my dad??? I am 24, but if you want to adopt me....
Anyways to your question, I had an AOD in my car, and yes they are heavy and are crap performance-wise, but it should be just fine for a teenage new driver. Just make sure and drill it into him not to shift through the gears, or to go to full throttle when in overdrive, or else you WILL be installing that T45 sooner than later.
I just installed the C4 into my car, so I don't have any seat time yet for comparison, but from what I have heard, they arent the best highway/daily driver transmissions.
Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Depends on what you're after. If you want a tranny that can put up with a lot of abuse, the C-4 can handle it. With a nice high stall converter and some power behind it, it can turn some pretty good times too. I've got a C-4 in my daily driver with a serious shift kit and manual reverse valve body. My times and hp are in the sig.

As mentioned, probably the only problems you would encounter would be driving on the highway. I have 3.73 gears and run a 28" tall tire. Usually, on the road, I cruise at 3000 rpm and am doing about 65 mph. I get passed by a lot of people on the way to the track but I just shake my fist at 'em and pay 'em back good once we get to the track. It does get a little aggrivating at times only doing 65 but I don't get on the highway that much and around town, it's not noticable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts