Ford Mustang Forums banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

· Registered
10,375 Posts
So I assumed that I would need a new tank for the 83 I recently acquired... Car has been stored inside since the late90's with a bad motor up until about 4 years ago it was outside and in a barn......
I pulled the tank yesterday and I was surprised to find about 1/2 a tank of decent gas ( not usable but certainly not turpentine), a little cloudy, but smelled ok.. When I drained it, the tank is like new and the sender/pickup looks just like the pictures of the new ones for sale???? WTF I am saying, as I have NEVER seen one that wasn't a rusted up pile of junk???

I parked my car in 2002 and it sat for about 7 years. Full tank of gas at the time, but by the time 7 years came around, it was about 1/4 tank of gas. I added fresh 93 and it fired up.

A year later I pulled the tank. I was worried as to what I would find inside, but to my surprise it was spotless. It looked just as good as the brand new tank I had just bought. If I could have repaired the baffle, I would have kept on using it.

Pretty sure I parked it with non-ethanol fuel

· Registered
929 Posts
Rice-a-Roni in the fuel?.... I'd rather eat curdled gasoline than that stuff.
A couple years back I bought an '82 Zephyr as a project car. It had been sitting in a garage for a long time; the plates on it had expired in late '03. When I dropped the tank I found the same as you - the inside of the tank was in perfect condition. Maybe Mike is on to something - it was the non-ethanol gas that kept the tanks clean?
I guess we both save some money on our projects... I am going to take a good hard look at the fuel lines before "just ordering " new ones also... Blow some Carb cleaner through the fuel and vent line and see what comes out...

· Registered
929 Posts
I guess we both save some money on our projects... I am going to take a good hard look at the fuel lines before "just ordering " new ones also... Blow some Carb cleaner through the fuel and vent line and see what comes out...
I spent
17 years doing a rotisserie resto on my 67 dodge and I guess I just expect the same EVERYTHING is bad scenario.... Even the parts cars I acquired, ALL had rotted rusty fuel tanks......
NOT a resto on the Mustang, but I want it to be dependable as it will be my driver....

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Does anyone make a Fox fuel pump housing/hanger assembly that has a larger output line out of the tank?

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Mike, thank you for the links that you posted! Those are exactly what I was looking for.

· Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,744 Posts
if you are serious are about quality and want extra capacity

dont screw around
My smart phone quick search didn’t pull up a review of this here at Corral. I’d love to hear your thoughts/review on it. If you already made it here and can direct me to it I’ll definitely check it out.

· Registered
50 Posts
Hello Danny did the Spectra tank installation work out well? I need to to the same thing as my current tank baffle is broken. I am thinking about going ahead and ordering the LMR strap stud kits to reduce some aggravation.
What else did you need in regards to seals/padding etc. - Thank you

My Canadian made Spectra Premium tank arrived today. I purchased it through Amazon making Bezos even richer. The tank's box was ripped open in two places but the tank itself was completely free of any damage. No dents whatsoever. Here are the pictures:

View attachment 1070253

View attachment 1070254

You can't tell in this next picture but the whole outside of the tank was covered with a "cosmoline like" grease. Not thick but it is oily.

View attachment 1070255

View attachment 1070256

I took this next picture through the fuel pump hole. I wanted to see the baffle and I noticed that the Spectra tank baffle didn't have a hole in the side of the baffle like my old, rusted tank. It does have some holes on the bottom where the two raised, diagonal. long thin whatchamacallit things are. Those holes look small. The inside of the tank is coated in some type of oil. Lots of it!

View attachment 1070257

Slip rings and o-rings didn't fall out of the big holes in the box.

View attachment 1070258

The tank looks to be very nice and it arrived undamaged. Not being china made is a huge bonus! I don't know about that baffle and the little holes to feed fuel to it but overall, I'm very happy with the tank.

· Registered
2,253 Posts
I installed an AutoZone Spectra gas tank for a friend/customer's 87 LX hatchback last year. It came with new fuel pump hat and sending unit hat O-rings don't recall if it came with grommets but I always have spares of those filler neck grommets and tank breather grommets laying around if ever needed. As far as the padding I took a nylon pry bar scraper and ended up removing the padding off the top of the original tank to reuse on the Spectra tank. The Spectra tank does not come with a hole for your mounting screw for the filler neck bracket hold down. So had to drill that hole carefully outside the pinch weld for that. Made the hole just barely bigger than the mounting screw and it ended up being a lot closer to the edge of the tank staying outside the pinch weld area while drilling compared to the hole in the stock tank. Also used the stock tank strap mounting bolts but studs would have been easier for sure.

· Registered
10,375 Posts
I remember that now as well. No hole for the filler neck so gotta be careful there.

I did specta tank, and spectra hanger. Walbro 190, Ford filler grommet, new LMR tank straps and the Dorman 03131 bolt kit. I also did the LMR fuel tank pads, although If i had time i bet i could have found compatible material on Amazon and cut the pattern myself. I also replaced the two fuel lines from lines from Classic tube.

Spectra tank and hanger came from rockauto. No issues there in shipping. Tank was coated in a cosmoline type substances so I decided to degrease that, and paint the tank in a color i had laying around. Cleaned everything up, redid my wiring, all new hardware and installed.

Only issue i had with the tank was the baffle was tack welded slightly off which caused the hanger to sit tight to it. I was able to make it work. Some folks might not have this issue, and some might be worse. Tank straps were tight. Unable to get them up with the original bolts, but the dorman kit made it easy.

Prob the most work you'll ever see into a gas tank that you won't see.

Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey

SEM trim black on the gas tank cover, and some paint on the tank straps and looks good as new.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Hello Danny did the Spectra tank installation work out well? I need to to the same thing as my current tank baffle is broken. I am thinking about going ahead and ordering the LMR strap stud kits to reduce some aggravation.
What else did you need in regards to seals/padding etc. - Thank you
Sadly, my Spectra tank is still in the box it was delivered in. Like others have mentioned, I purchased padding from Amazon that I plan on cutting to size and using on top of the tank.

I did purchase the Aeromotive 340 pump and hanger assembly that Mike suggested in post #85.

Reactions: 88STANG363

· Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
690 Posts
For my tank ( got it from eBay if I remember correctly) I had to get padding as well, I went to Lowe's and got stick on insulation. Looks like dynomat but frackton cheaper. You can prolly find something similar at most hardware stores or chains. Also I had to drop my tank back down when I went with -6 AN lines, I did order the LMR stud kit (wish I'd known the Dorman kit no!!) and really recommend anyone that's gnna fool with doing a new tank to get both the sticky insulation and the studs, and if you need to just drop your tank for any reason, get the stud kit.. it'll make life a lot easier...

· Registered
306 Posts
I'm going to install a new tank here in the near future, but when I converted my car to efi back in like 2008 I used svo stuff with the internal and external pump, ran that for a while then did a walbro 255 in tank pump. Car sat for roughly 10 years. I was about to buy a new tank and all that Jaz but I powered up the pump and old fuel shot out, ran the pump untill it quit pumping fuel and added new fuel, I've put roughly 600 miles on the car with the same pump and tank, I'm scared to see what the inside looks like, haven't had any fuel pressure issues or lean conditions yet.

But a new tank and sender with AN fittings is in my near future.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I live in humid southeastern Texas. My original tank was quite rusty inside. It sat in a non-running condition for years. I think that with humidity and the car being parked, that's when these tanks rust up.

· Registered
50 Posts
So I did order the new Spectrum Tank - box was destroyed - but tank itself looks good. I am placing the Aeromotive 340 into it - anyone know the fittings need to connect to this pump and to the stock fuel lines?

81 - 100 of 103 Posts