Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Can't say its the same but Rock Auto has two spectra tanks also.. Both are under $100 but its $30 freight to me in Florida.... The Rock Auto ad does NOT say made in America or Canada??
I should clarify this is for my 83 5.0 liter with fuel pump on the engine
I saw the same thing. The shipping seems high. I went to CARiD and found the same Spectra tank. Shipping was about the same as Rock Auto. I've currently got a Spectra gas tank in my Rock Auto shopping basket. I think all sellers are going to charge a lot to ship a gas tank. Summit only charges a $9.99 oversize charge but they don't have Spectra tanks. Maybe Amazon or eBay has Spectra tanks?

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
This price is going to be hard to beat. It is the correct part number.

Amazon Spectra Tank

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
azmack, what did you use for the insulation on your Rock Auto tank?

· Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
690 Posts
Darn it, that is the fuel injected tank, I need the carb version... Amazon sells a carb version made by Kar parts 360???
You can use the FI tank on a carb car. Just get a FI hanger and instead of putting a fuel pump in the hanger just install a 5/16 or 3/8 piece of aluminum tubing in its place.. The 90LX I have was originally a 4cyl FI car and the po did that instead of a low pressure fuel pump.. I put in a low pressure fuel pump when I redid the whole tank tho..

· Registered
929 Posts
You can use the FI tank on a carb car. Just get a FI hanger and instead of putting a fuel pump in the hanger just install a 5/16 or 3/8 piece of aluminum tubing in its place.. The 90LX I have was originally a 4cyl FI car and the po did that instead of a low pressure fuel pump.. I put in a low pressure fuel pump when I redid the whole tank tho..
I slept on this last night, LOL, and I am a little over an hour away from NPD.. At this point I think I might bite the bullet and place a will call order with them and not worry about any freight damage....My new Chevy Diesel needs some freeway miles on it.......

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
It’s closed cell neoprene rubber. This specific material is oil proof, flame retardant and weather resistant. I got it off Amazon and it’s much better then the factory stuff.
Thank you. Now that I know what to look for, it's easy to find. Plenty of choices out there.

· Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,598 Posts
The OEM 87-93 gas tank bolts are: (unsure if earlier are the same)
M10 x 1.5 x 35mm long. Class 9.8

The pass side has plenty of space to install a longer bolt, but on the drivers side you have a hard stop at 35-40mm with the bottom of the spare tire well. This side, it would be best to install a stud and thread a nut on to make install easier.
LMR sells the studs (came across it this weekend as i needed a new j-nut)

· Registered
10,375 Posts
I dont think the studs were available when I was doing my tank, otherwise that’s the way I would have gone.

btw, my tanK I posted earlier was a $100 Rockauto Spectra Premium tank

· Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,598 Posts
Sleeper tank is actually a pretty good tank, it has big -10 or -12 suction line fittings coming out the front on the bottom for inline pumps and a return line in stock location.
more importantly it has a much better baffle setup, which keeps the pickup submerged at all times

the fox tank baffle is pretty much non-existent and thought i saw someone on here having issues with the spectra stock replacement, which made it even smaller as its probably easier to make and hence cheaper

here's what the pickup looks like in glenn's sleeper tank

· Registered
10,375 Posts
That’s why I had to replace my tank as well. The baffle broke loose.

wish I could have repaired it. My original tank was pristine.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I ended up ordering a Spectra gas tank from Amazon for $115.xx plus tax with free shipping. I liked that it's either made in the US or Canada. I guess I'll know for sure when it arrives this weekend.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
more importantly it has a much better baffle setup, which keeps the pickup submerged at all times

the fox tank baffle is pretty much non-existent and thought i saw someone on here having issues with the spectra stock replacement, which made it even smaller as its probably easier to make and hence cheaper

here's what the pickup looks like in glenn's sleeper tank

View attachment 1070195
For an inline fuel pump user, I think that would be a great tank.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Let us know if it arrives safely.
It seems like many of these gas tanks don't arrive in good shape. I'll give a report when it arrives.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts