Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 103 Posts

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I used the LMR foam, fit was good, but it was thicker than the 33 year old foam that came out. That might have accounted for the fitment issues, but I didnt want to put nothing back in or try and scrape and transfer the stuff I took out. I figured i would let it compress for a year or so and try and readjust it.
Awesome. Thank you for the details! I think the foam is a must whether it's the real thing or some weatherstripping.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Mustang5L5, that's a very detailed post. Lots of great information. You said that you painted your tank. Was it just bare steel? It looks great in the picture. As everyone is saying, it appears that longer bolts/threaded rods are a must to get these aftermarket gas tanks mounted. Thanks, Mike!

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
4cy2v8, your pictures look like my rusty gas tanks. Both of my gas tanks have had old, stale ethanol gas sitting in them for years. My 1991 GT's tank was spotless when I was driving it. I replaced the fuel pump about a year before I pulled it off the road in February 2016. There was no rust in the tank then.

It rusted up from sitting with that sour, nasty smelling, water absorbing ethanol fuel.

· Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,613 Posts
if you have to replace your oem tank i'd suggest you have a reality check as far as future plans for mods and hp levels go as you may have to upgrade again at a later time

glenn's sleepr tank

or

glenn's 03 cobra tank

· Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,613 Posts

· Registered
10,502 Posts
Mustang5L5, that's a very detailed post. Lots of great information. You said that you painted your tank. Was it just bare steel? It looks great in the picture. As everyone is saying, it appears that longer bolts/threaded rods are a must to get these aftermarket gas tanks mounted. Thanks, Mike!
Mine came in bare steel. It was coated in almost a cosmoline, so I had to degrease it, wipe it down in acetone, scuff it up and then paint it.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
if you have to replace your oem tank i'd suggest you have a reality check as far as future plans for mods and hp levels go as you may have to upgrade again at a later time

glenn's sleepr tank

or

glenn's 03 cobra tank
I just went to their website to look at the Mustang Sleeper tank. Not much information there but I did call them. No answer and it went to voicemail so I left a message asking them to call me back. I'm interested in this tank but I want to know more about it.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Mine came in bare steel. It was coated in almost a cosmoline, so I had to degrease it, wipe it down in acetone, scuff it up and then paint it.
That sounds like a lot of work but the result looks very nice in your picture that you posted.

Reactions: Mustang5L5

· Registered
188 Posts
I just went to their website to look at the Mustang Sleeper tank. Not much information there but I did call them. No answer and it went to voicemail so I left a message asking them to call me back. I'm interested in this tank but I want to know more about it.
Looks to me like a stock tank w some AN fittings welded to it for larger fuel lines.

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Sleeper tank is actually a pretty good tank, it has big -10 or -12 suction line fittings coming out the front on the bottom for inline pumps and a return line in stock location.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Looks to me like a stock tank w some AN fittings welded to it for larger fuel lines.
That's what it looked like to me as well. I left a voicemail message but I never heard back from them today.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sleeper tank is actually a pretty good tank, it has big -10 or -12 suction line fittings coming out the front on the bottom for inline pumps and a return line in stock location.
So it's set up more for an external fuel pump. I love the fact that this tank is made in the USA but I'll be using an in-tank pump so this probably isn't the tank for me.

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Yes, set up for external pump(s) only like 2 or 3 inline walbro pumps.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thank you for the confirmation, neffarnie.

Reactions: neffarnie2

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

· Registered
956 Posts
Can't say its the same but Rock Auto has two spectra tanks also.. Both are under $100 but its $30 freight to me in Florida.... The Rock Auto ad does NOT say made in America or Canada??
I should clarify this is for my 83 5.0 liter with fuel pump on the engine

21 - 40 of 103 Posts