Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy ordered the Trick Flow 350hp package from Summit at the end of Nov. He got all the other parts except the heads. Initially they told him Dec 5th, then they pushed it back to late-Jan, today they told him June. WTF! Anyone know what's going on over there?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
From what I have seen for a lot of parts, material shortages are global right now. Did Trick Flow give a reason? I see LMR is sold out of all the Trick Flow top end kits

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Everybody holed up at the house with covid drinking beer and cokes, all them cans haven't been "recycled" yet...???

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
139 Posts
Is this issue just a Trick Flow issue or is it happening across the board with aftermarket aluminum heads? Just curious as I'm planning on getting a set of big block heads sometime in the near future but just haven't decided on which brand to go with yet.. Cheers!!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Aluminum is the most likely culprit. It's reportedly slow to come by. Mostly thanks to tariffs that are still in place.

·
Registered
2000 Mustang GT
200 Posts
Wonder how many beer cans it would take to make an aluminum block, heads, intake...

·
Registered
1989 GT
987 Posts
This entire year with covid there have been delays on parts pretty much across the board.

·
Vendor
12,553 Posts
Aluminum is the most likely culprit. It's reportedly slow to come by. Mostly thanks to tariffs that are still in place.
No. Its simple. You make more money at home on unemployment and the extra weekly money than working. Throw in a sick guy on the production floor and your back to quarantining the plant workers. The tarrifs were a god send for the foundries. It prevented many companies from going to china.

The performance aftermarket is not enough volume for a foundry, so the performance companies piggyback on the OEM orders. If the OEMs leave the us foundries, the aftermarket wont have much choice

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
139 Posts
Well gee willikers, this kinda sux... Another reason that 2020 was really a $#17 show and a dumpster fire eh??

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
No. Its simple. You make more money at home on unemployment and the extra weekly money than working. Throw in a sick guy on the production floor and your back to quarantining the plant workers.
Very true. I work on MFG and this is exactly what is happening. Demand is through the roof, but there are material/labor shortages. Keeping the factory running is impossible because if one worker tests positives, anyone in contact must quarantine and get tested. Lines go down, nobody is cross-trained, quality suffers so your reject rate is up.

hiring is down as well. We are now offering a $5k sign-on bonus for a $15-20+/hr position and can’t get anyone so we continue to be short staffed.

Many of our customers are in the auto industry. Demand for new cars has come back, and there are shortages. Those mass produced parts are better moneymakers for them vs hobbyist type stuff like AL 302 heads. Doesn’t surprise me to see other manufacturers/ vendors all in the same boat dealing with labor/material shortages and increased demand in all segments.

I would say if you are planning on modding you’re cars in 2021, get your orders in well ahead of time because there are likely going to be delays.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts