Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint flames on my car as soon as it is a N/A 11 second beast (I figure it will warrent them at that point). Does anyone know how to do this? I watched Jessie James do it on TV, and that is the extent of my flame-painting know how. Any advice on technique, materials, etcetera, or any links, will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Go get some pin stripping and practice making flames on a surface.. the hardest part is laying out the flames...painting it is pretty straight forward..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So pin striping is what you would use to mask of the actual shape of the flame? Is it flexible enough that it won't wrinkle while you form curves with it, or is there a special technique for this?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Fine line tape is most common. It's very similar to the pinstripe tape and it'll leave a very clean edge while being very flexible. You can get it in 1/8" and 1/16" widths to make some very tight curves.

Laying out the pattern is the hardest part as mentioned.

·
Registered
160 Posts
3m makes a blue line tape, It has a poly texture and its very flexable. It looks liek graphic tape, it comes in 1/8" and 1/4" wide. Ide recommend the 1/8" then back that up with 3m green body tape. Shoot with a trim gun after tape.. The hardest part of the whole thing is make the flames look smooth and making them the same on both sides usually this is done by tracing on paper. Its a pita but works.
phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts