Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm in the process of a heads/cam install. in my gasket kit i got a new front seal. i am having trouble getting my old seal out though. anyone know a trick or something to get this out? also, those little cork gaskets came in the kit for the oil pan to timing chain. anyone ever used these? instructions say that i am supposed to cut the exposed part of the oil pan gasket and use the cork gasket. those cork gaskets don't leak or anything do they? thanks alot guys,

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
white94 said:
i'm in the process of a heads/cam install. in my gasket kit i got a new front seal. i am having trouble getting my old seal out though. anyone know a trick or something to get this out? also, those little cork gaskets came in the kit for the oil pan to timing chain. anyone ever used these? instructions say that i am supposed to cut the exposed part of the oil pan gasket and use the cork gasket. those cork gaskets don't leak or anything do they? thanks alot guys,
To get the seal off, i traced along the edge with a screwdriver and eventually it popped off. It was a little tough though.

I reused the original oil pan gasket. I wouldn't know about the cork.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I used a screwdriver and a pair of pliers I think. You do need the cork gaskets also. Just be sure to put a good bit of RTV in the corner between the block and oil pan to prevent leaks. HTH.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Here's the correct easy way to do it.........
take a blade and cut the oil pan gasket, insert the blade behind the front cover and cut, you're gonna make 2 cuts, one on each side. After that the cover will come off pretty easily.
I used the cork gaskets no problem, just use a bead of black RTV where the cork gaskets meet the rubber oil pan gaskets.
Remember when placing the new cork gaskets on the pan clean it really good and use some contact adhesive to hold it in place.
When you put the cover back on you're gonna have to push down hard on the cover to get it on the dowels properly aligned. Put the oil pan to cover bolts in first, this is the easiest way.
good luck.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts