Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car is getting a turbo kit .No good tuners in my area and let's face it a 1995 phone doing the work of a 2018 makes sense right .So yes pro-M is probably the way 2 go .But before I pull the trigger I whould love 2 know if some of you have had some pretty good luck right off the battlefield with one of these with a turbo car?

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
So my car is getting a turbo kit .No good tuners in my area and let's face it a 1995 phone doing the work of a 2018 makes sense right .So yes pro-M is probably the way 2 go .But before I pull the trigger I whould love 2 know if some of you have had some pretty good luck right off the battlefield with one of these with a turbo car?
I think if you are considering Pro M you are in the wrong section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Megasquirt worked fine for me with a turbo combo. Not sure how that happened with no good tuners in this area...

·
Registered
861 Posts
My tune, right out of the box, took some adjusting. Engine size, injector size, dead time, idle settings, etc. Once I had that dialed in, I started the car up, started adjusting 5-7 points on the fuel table to get roughed in on the fuel targets. Once I got close across the band, I double checked my target AFR table was where I wanted it, hit VE analyze for the fueling with a low resistance setting, and cruised around.

Car runs great. I'm sure the timing is incredibly safe, but that can be adjusted on a dyno/at the track to get dialed in.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Any system that can use MAF where you know the meter curve and injector characteristics will fire up the 1st time and run and drive just as easy as the super expensive one that people think is some miracle. You still have all the MAF limits. SD is more flexible but requires more work.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Efi performance we are in the same state so go figure good 2 here some good results with a turbo combo.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I've been all through various systems. The best thing I ever did long term was buy a Holley HP EFI.

To give an example, with street tunes and Megasquirt or Tweecer or QH systems I would occasionally damage a part from the tune getting off or some other issue. This was in spite of a conservative build. It seemed like any time I had an issue the data log would fail, my logging computer would lose the USB connection or something. I used top of line parts and had occasional issues.

I put a Holley HP in and ran a DSS rotating assembly with Chinese heads at 5.40's for two years without incident. Never missed recording a data log and the automatic fuel correction and knock detection was flawless. I spent way less time tuning and more time watching mechanical aspects, and never had an engine failure until the oil scraper spring broke on a piston and the valve seats gave out. I credit the Holly for making parts last.

I bought a temporary used engine that was supposed to be good but turned out to be a real shade tree build. It had a Callies Magnum crank but they used Eagle rods and real cheap hard flattop EBay pistons. I watched the tune with knock sensors and watched mixture, and I got almost two years out of that POS piston that never should have been used with boost and the pistons and rods are still good. I turned that engine 7900 through the traps and ran 30 psi boost, but I always had the Holley watching knock and fuel mixture. I got almost two years out of that engine before it started lifting the heads. There is no way it would have lasted without constant monitoring and automatic correction, because just changing from Renegade 120+ to C23 caused it to show knock. As soon as the Holley started to see the knock it pulled back timing.

The best thing I ever did was buy a real engine control system and get rid of the mass airflow stuff. It takes way less than one second of something going wrong to cost $1000 in repairs, so a good self contained EFI system with safeguards is a great long term investment. There is less to go wrong and a good system can watch itself.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great information guys thank you .This is great information and if I can get the same job done for more than half the price great .No good tuners in my area that I'm aware of.If I can slip in the box and not rewire the car great I'm not aware of any wiring problems with my wiring at this point.So why rewire if you dont have to and spend extra money .This is a street car going with a turbo kit may go on3 or go with b&g .So any savings help for the next step thank you very much for this information so far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As long as the basics are set up correct, an MS2 will work good and tune quick. The table generators in Tunerstudio ultra are very handy.

I am on my third setup with my MS2 and have done a couple other installs.

Start with the base map for your firmware, check the calibration for the MAP sensor (the PNP uses the 6400 settings but I believe the base map uses something different), set your required fuel, calibrate whatever wideband you are running and write it to the controller, build your AFR and VE table using the generator. Set your ignition table to whatever you want (I think when I was turbo I just locked it out the 21 degrees). You will probably need to guess on the peak power and MAP for the table generators but just find a similar setup online, note the boost and power levels, convert the psi to KPA and the map should be close enough to fire and use autotune a little bit and smooth the ve table out later.

When it fires you will then set the timing to the ecu in the method that comes with the instructions for the PNP. The process is different than a standard HO setup.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Holley system is bad ass but very pricey. Def better for tuning on the edge. Wish the PNP had knock detection like the Holley instead of just being able to listen to it. My PNP works really well but for tuning on the edge having the knock detection the Holley has would be better.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Megasquirt can do knock detection. Without looking, the PNP product of it may not support that by default but (also without looking) it should be capable of it with modification because at the end of the day it is megasquirt and I don't think the PNP versions use the full IO capacity which means there are unused channels are free to purpose for anything, knock detection is just one of the possibilities.

If that isn't the case with PNP due to how those are built specifically it definitely is the case for general megasquirt which has massive IO capability, especially through canbus.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4-35.html

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Great to know the PNP can add knock sensing! I think the headphones would be most valuable in dialing in the knock sensing. The real value is taking advantage of automatic adjustments to detecting knock.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Do you (anyone) know the frequency in Hz that your particular block resonates at when knock happens? If not, then you will be chasing ghosts.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Do you (anyone) know the frequency in Hz that your particular block resonates at when knock happens? If not, then you will be chasing ghosts.
The largest factor is bore diameter. There are calculators online that will put you on target. You may need to adjust for perfection but it will be near.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts