Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an extra bare set of "P" heads laying around and a set of stainless REV 1.9 and 1.6 valves. I want to do a light cartridge roll cleanup following what Mouse did on his porting page and stick these valves in.

I've read many times that the larger valves might hurt flow so I thought I'd ask if anyone here has gone to larger valves in their "P" heads and how did it work. Anyone got any flow numbers? how about before and after qtr mile times showing a gain or loss?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I ported a set for a Street Warrior guy, and we put 1.94/1.60 valves in. Fully ported, with the bigger valves, they flowed around 250/[email protected] You will have to do a good port job, really open the bowls up, and unshroud the valve. It is worth it, but a cartridge roll want help any. Really need to reshape the ports, and minor shaping on the chamber.

Good Luck, Greg(XSR)

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. From everything I've been hearing porting a lot on the "P" heads risks hurting the lower lift flow numbers. Do you have any specs on how they flowed from .100 through about .400? Was there a good improvement through there as well?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Bad Boss, I just finished pulling mine for the third time to apply what I'd learned. I widened the bowl area, narrowed the intake bosses, and unshrouded the stock intake valves. The intake runners looked pretty good to me after just a little port matching. What did you do to get those super numbers? I guess four times ... I've never had my P's flow tested.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
That is what I do for a living. So, lots of testing(on a SF-600), and work. I put bigger valves in, and opened alot of the bowl/int. port. Really need to get them flowed to see what you are doing. You'd be surprised at what helps, and what does not.

Good Luck, Greg(XSR)

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got to ask... How much do you charge for your work? For something like a stage one or stage two job on the "P" heads.

Also, how did those big flow numbers affect lowend torque? I'm trying to keep my lowend numbers good because 98% of my time in my car is street; and it's a daily driver.

Where are you in South Carolina.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I can do a stage II for $400, if they are apart and semi clean. If I have to take them apart/clean $450. The flow #'s don't determine the power range, it is the size(cc's) of the runners. I am about 1hr. from Greenville,SC. Let me know if you want me to do anything for you.

Thanks, Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
414 Posts
how much will the stage one and two flow

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about cost of stage one in preparation for installing larger valves? I have new, bare, heads and 1.94/1.6 valves to install...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Stg 1 will flow around 215

Stg 2 will flow around 225

Do you want a stg 1, and machine/install the bigger valves?
It would be $325

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
BadBoss, how much flow do the bigger valves add? I guess that would be my next mod -for winter time. Do you recommend milling the P's? If so how much? (mine are already milled .030). I'm just looking for pointers.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
If done right between 15 and 30 cfm. Mostly in the .4 to .6 #'s. You could go .060 or more, but then you will most likely need to mill your intake also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts