Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
46GTSblown said:
They sound nice but my NON PI heads flow 200 intake
180 exhaust and cost a bunch less.

Dwayne
I forgot to add my plans..oops.
I plan on having someone local port and install the heads. So right now I'am looking for the cheapest without buying used.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Black1998GT said:
Down at the bottom of the page...

Steen Racing
it's really up to you on which company to go with. i would like to see jason get a 98GT auto run 105+mph like mine did NA. there are a few people running these heads on the board. one person claims 272rwhp. those are some good numbers. i wish DTA would get his turn-around times straightened out because his stuff makes the best power that i have seen on headswap cars. good luck in whatever you decide. btw, i did see a DTA headswap kit for sale on the classifieds...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Black1998GT said:
I forgot to add my plans..oops.
I plan on having someone local port and install the heads. So right now I'am looking for the cheapest without buying used.
If you're looking for someone locally to port your heads, the Steen Racing kit listed in the website might not be for you. That kit is geared towards someone who wants their heads ported and already has the heads to port. If you need an unported headswap kit, call the shop and they can give you a price. There are also some other companies that sell headswap kits unported. Do a search and you'll find a ton of info. My only advice would be to make sure the person porting your heads is familiar with the modular head. Just hogging out the ports could have less than desireable results.

Good luck in your project!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
99RioRedVert said:
If you're looking for someone locally to port your heads, the Steen Racing kit listed in the website might not be for you. That kit is geared towards someone who wants their heads ported and already has the heads to port. If you need an unported headswap kit, call the shop and they can give you a price. There are also some other companies that sell headswap kits unported. Do a search and you'll find a ton of info. My only advice would be to make sure the person porting your heads is familiar with the modular head. Just hogging out the ports could have less than desireable results.

Good luck in your project!
Thanks for the heads up. I'am just trying to find the cheapest set of heads/intake. The company doing the porting is "Come get you some Motorsports" in Monroe, NC. They are familiar with modulars and seem to know their stuff pretty good.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I would suggest calling the shop 480-RACE. I have been happy with the prices I've been getting on my parts, and I've been buying a lot of parts lately :mad:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
99RioRedVert said:
I would suggest calling the shop 480-RACE. I have been happy with the prices I've been getting on my parts, and I've been buying a lot of parts lately :mad:
Do you have an estimate of what the unported kit might cost? We have long-distance blocks on our phones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Black1998GT said:
Thanks for the heads up. I'am just trying to find the cheapest set of heads/intake. The company doing the porting is "Come get you some Motorsports" in Monroe, NC. They are familiar with modulars and seem to know their stuff pretty good.
Don't do that. You'll be sorry. There are other shops that are considerably better than them. Price and quality-wise. If you need the headswap kit unported then call Joe Charles at Parkway Ford. 1-888-FORDSVT. Best price around on the complete kit.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sinister GT said:
Don't do that. You'll be sorry. There are other shops that are considerably better than them. Price and quality-wise. If you need the headswap kit unported then call Joe Charles at Parkway Ford. 1-888-FORDSVT. Best price around on the complete kit.
please tell me why I'd "be sorry." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Black1998GT said:
please tell me why I'd "be sorry." :rolleyes:
Ditto. Sounds like Sinister has a lot to say, considering he just registered in order to provide his expertise to this post. Lets hear what you have to say jackhole.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
46GTSblown said:
They sound nice but my NON PI heads flow 200 intake
180 exhaust and cost a bunch less.

Dwayne
It's not to hard to get the Non-PI heads to flow about the same as PI heads. Greg97GT's non PI heads flowed about the same as yours and were done by Jason and they are a great match to his Vortech'ed 97 car. He gets the flow while maintaining a lower compression ratio.

Jason posts those numbers as what he considers a "Street Port". If want more you can specify that and pay more. But one important thing to consider, You can rest assured that those heads will flow as advertised. Also note that's only at .500 lift.

Funny thing, I was recently told by a local shop that there's no market for ported and polished 96-98 heads. I think that with all the old non-pi heads out there that can be made to flow there is a market. It maybe niche. Especially with supercharged 96-98 cars due to the fact you can maintain the original compression ratio, get the flow and pay less.

Ed

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Edward,
You are about the only person to have anything positive to say about the early heads. Like you say they are perfect for blown apps even better with the SVO/Roush blower.
I have had PI cams and exh valves installed and can't wait for them to show up so I can put them on and have fun.
There is a serious case of blinkered vision in the performance hobby as soon as one way is found to make power people stop looking and just follow the crowd without thinking for their selfs.
I know I am not the only person to come up with this combo but it is amazing how much resistance there is to using the early heads. I have even inspired a few others to go the same route as I have to gain a good ammount of power cheaper than the PI head swap method.

Dwayne

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
FWIW, I'm doing the same thing as 46GTSblown. I've got the heads sitting in my garage. After my vacation to the desert I'll be doing the valves and cams. At one time, I had a pretty complete PI swap in my garage, but decided to sell it a while back, because I didn't want to be limited to N2O and I didn't want to sink even more money into the swap to drop the C/R. We'll see how she turns out.

Tim

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think you will be more than satisfied with Steen Racing. They are honest, reliable, and reasonably priced. I have been very happy with their work.

Do not use DTA. He shorted me parts, sent my heads back with the cams rusted, told me he would refund a portion of my money by Christmas. No refund as of yet and no explanation. He has a history of charging credit cards and not delivering parts. But if you use DTA and works out for you consider yourself lucky.

Steve

·
Registered
749 Posts
get this straight!!!

sinister gt or whatever your name is

first of all....have you bought from COME GET YOU SOME MOTORSPORTS before? why are you telling people not to buy from them if you dont even know what they are about? I am a personal friend of Will Laney, owner of COME GET YOU SOME MOTORSPORTS, and i know for a fact his stuff is some of the best out there. I purchase stuff from him all the time!!!!!
PLEASE DO NOT POST ABOUT SOMEBODY YOU DONT KNOW JACK OF !!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
PLEASE DO NOT POST ABOUT SOMEBODY YOU DONT KNOW JACK OF !!!!!

....you don't know jack of. Hhhhmmmm. Must be that California education. In response to such genius I have but one thing to say..........you can put down the pom-poms at any time.

If he wants to stay local to him he'd be considerably better off with Steen Racing or Heads-Up Performance. Facts are facts.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sinister GT said:
If he wants to stay local to him he'd be considerably better off with Steen Racing or Heads-Up Performance. Facts are facts.

how?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I can vouch for Steen Racing. They did an excellent job on my headswap and Jason always returned my phone calls. I am going to use him in the future for other mods. He is very conscientious about customer service. That to me says a lot.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
doug97gt said:
I can vouch for Steen Racing. They did an excellent job on my headswap and Jason always returned my phone calls. I am going to use him in the future for other mods. He is very conscientious about customer service. That to me says a lot.
how much did your headswap from them cost? And what did it include?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts