Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been chasing fuel pressure drops for months now with aero motive pumps. ive tried 5 different 340lph, a smaller 200lph, different inlet styles, improved wiring, heat wrapped all lines in the engine bay, but every single aero motive pump ive had has eventually started to become noisy and drop pressure under WOT. im talking from 43 psi to the mid teens. threw in a cheap 255 and problems immediately went away. pressure held steady as a rock versus the aeromotive pumps that even out of the box would be dropping 2-3 psi under no load just revving it in my driveway. are these things just junk? an aero motive rep and I tackled this issue for several weeks and even he couldn't figure out what was going on. wiring checked out, voltage was good, flow tests when the pumps were new came out fine, feed and return are sized fine for my power level (around 450 crank, running -6 an the entire way), tried two different regulators (Holley and aero motive), but after a couple weeks these pumps just can't hold pressure to save their lives. some came completely junk out of the box and I had to send them straight back. just gonna switch to walbro and hope that solves my issues permanently but I just find it really odd how a no name 255 pump almost seems to vastly out perform these pumps (no loss of fuel pressure whatsoever under wot conditions). Anyone else have this issue with the 340 series pumps?

· Registered
396 Posts
Lots of issues with them years ago, I moved to Bosch pumps, but you need to be careful with them to make sure they are genuine and not knockoffs. I guess you have to that with pretty much everything these days

· Registered
8,632 Posts
Yea, the Aeromotive 340's were crap.

These are awesome, pumps, and a fuel hat that's 10x better than stock **** or "retrofitted" stock style stuff.

Line Font Auto part Plumbing fixture Machine

Reactions: kjb302ho

· Registered
3,124 Posts
ive been chasing fuel pressure drops for months now with aero motive pumps. ive tried 5 different 340lph, a smaller 200lph, different inlet styles, improved wiring, heat wrapped all lines in the engine bay, but every single aero motive pump ive had has eventually started to become noisy and drop pressure under WOT. im talking from 43 psi to the mid teens. threw in a cheap 255 and problems immediately went away. pressure held steady as a rock versus the aeromotive pumps that even out of the box would be dropping 2-3 psi under no load just revving it in my driveway. are these things just junk? an aero motive rep and I tackled this issue for several weeks and even he couldn't figure out what was going on. wiring checked out, voltage was good, flow tests when the pumps were new came out fine, feed and return are sized fine for my power level (around 450 crank, running -6 an the entire way), tried two different regulators (Holley and aero motive), but after a couple weeks these pumps just can't hold pressure to save their lives. some came completely junk out of the box and I had to send them straight back. just gonna switch to walbro and hope that solves my issues permanently but I just find it really odd how a no name 255 pump almost seems to vastly out perform these pumps (no loss of fuel pressure whatsoever under wot conditions). Anyone else have this issue with the 340 series pumps?
Where have you been buying the aeromotive pumps from?

· Registered
985 Posts
I have had similar problems with their A-1000 and Eliminator pump. Sent my Eliminator pump in to them in the fall as the PSI was dropping under boost by about 10psi. they rebuilt it and said it was a little down on flow.....$300 later.

· Registered
396 Posts
BTW
Are you guys getting your pumps flow benched before you go through the trouble of installing them and having issues - or hurting a motor?

Handwriting Font Plant Material property Receipt

· Registered
3,124 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Not a bad idea at all, but not a single person I’ve ever known has done that.
I generally learn my lessons the hard way, but try to only learn them once. That is where this practice came from.

· Registered
3,124 Posts
sent directly from them
Ahh ok. Wanted to make sure it wasn’t some Amazon special lol. Yeah I’d definitely be upset. The 340 in tanks are usually pretty robust pumps, and I’ve never had an issue with aeromotive products on anything. The a1000 on my car now is from way back in 2007.

· Registered
2,880 Posts
Ive been using Kemso 340lph pumps for quite a while and other than having 1 DOA, I have had really good luck with them. Im using a pair of them in my 95. One is triggered at 3psi to kick on. They have worked flawlessly for me and for friends. @Cclaro have you tried different sellers?

· Registered
659 Posts
Ive only used real walbros and only had one problem in the better part of 20 years using them. Ive used 255lph all the way up to the 450lph pumps and theyve always been reliable. So much so that even on the race cars Ive had I choose to do dual and triple pump setups with a hobbs switch over one big pump.

· Registered
396 Posts
Ive only used real walbros and only had one problem in the better part of 20 years using them. Ive used 255lph all the way up to the 450lph pumps and theyve always been reliable. So much so that even on the race cars Ive had I choose to do dual and triple pump setups with a hobbs switch over one big pump.
I agree that Genuine Walbro is a great product and using multiple pumps with a hobs switch is the best way to do a multi pump street / strip vehicle as running both pumps all the time a) puts unnecessary wear on the second pump and b) heats up the fuel by constantly sending way more fuel than needed it through the pumps / system when fuel consumption is low. When running this config, It is also a good idea to swap the wiring of primary and secondary pumps so they get similar use - not that I did that much.

Reactions: venomv8
1 - 20 of 24 Posts