Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am like the only one here locally that seems to have an auto that is in my year bracket all the others are 5 speeds ! Im just tryin to see what power you have gained and was it worth it ? I would be getting them from The Game. Ported fully with The custom cams and the valve springs and intake, also some Long Tubes. Hopefully they will work with the auto. Anyone been in my position help thanx Rob :confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check yo pm's

anyone else ??

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey, I fit that billet! I got all my parts from Randy Stinchcomb before The Game's big hype. I put mine out straight ouf of the box with stock cams and intake. My dyno numbers before the swap were 190hp/251tq. Pre-swap best track pass was [email protected] My sig shows the most up to date numbers now. I am going back to the track tomorrow evening to see if I can better either of those times. I also put on JBA shortie headers at the time of the swap. I'm not sure if the LTs will work with the auto or not. Don't wanna boil that tranny fluid! I have no idea if that would be a real issue or not, just something to consider before getting them. If you have any other questions....

Mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
madmike did you have any other mods ?cold air mass air tb ? gears ? I was actually thinkin of stickin with a short tube and keepin my catted h pipe now and just buyin an off road !

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'd probably fit you profile.
Parts were from Randy. Port by Fox Lake Performance. No cams or LT though. Hope we'll have some ModMax billets by the end of the summer.
Dyno numbers - 243rwhp/257lb-ft.
I was expecting more, but considering 2 hours highway driving to the dyno, no cooling before runs I can swallow it.
My car is trapping at 101.5mph (fully loaded including spare and jack on street tires). So perhaps real rwhp is a little higher. I definitely need cams to take full advantage of porting.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Northwest, no I have box stock '01 GT heads straight from Ford. I was running on the stock '97 tune until about 3 weeks ago when I finally went to True Blue for a dyno tune.

Cujo, the car has a home-made cold air, Steeda pullies, JBA shorties, MAC offroad h-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters welded into stock catback, Transgo shift kit, 3.73 gears, and Pro3i LCAs.

Feel free to ask away.

·
Registered
864 Posts
IN a past issue of MM&FF, I can get the month if you need it, they dynoed a 98 GT before and after the headswap, cams, intake from the '99 GT. Before the heads, the car got an absolutely pathetic 160rwhp and about 202rwtq... I have no idea if this is accurate, I sure hope not. Anyway, after the completion of the kit it got 212hp... at around 260rwtq.... This swap is a neccessity in my opinon

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow looks about like my setup and what I was plannin, hmmmm if the long tubes didnt go I mean. Hey did you have any problems with your alternator going low with the pullies ? Mine almost is drained ! I cant seem to put pullies on ym car because it kills the power steering and my power seems to die while idling. My V6 auto never did that ! Im wondering if I need a new alternator or just get a stronger one. Rob

·
Registered
482 Posts
When sitting at a light at night with everything on the Batt gauge does drop a bit. I have never had a problem with startups or anything like that, just a small drop in charge when the engine is under a load at night mainly. Charge comes right back up as soon as I begin to move.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah my batt gauge does that but the power in the car if I actually just sit there will drop then the car will die ! My friend tells me I just shouldnt put the alternator pulley on and get a tighter belt ? Could that help ? I appreciate your help ! Rob

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wow, mine has never threatened to die on me like that. I'm not sure what the deal is there. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on that for ya. Glad that I could help as much as I can.

Mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well I think I will try what my friend said and get a smaller belt next time I get pulleys ! I have had 3 sets ! they have all been diff. Steeda Mac ASP so I think I need either a smaller belt or a higher alternator. how does your car sound now after the swap ? Louder ? Did the short tubes help at all ? I really would like Long Tubes but they might and might not work on the auto and thats something MAC cant clarify ! I use there stuff mainly because it has worked in the past no probs !! How much were shortys ?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think the shorties made the car a little louder, not a huge difference though. I think that they are worth something. Of course since I did the heads and everything at the same time, I'll never know what kind of gains they gave me. I did go all out and get the high-temp coated JBAs though. I do believe that if any shorties are going to give any gains, then it would be the JBAs. Bob Cosby got some good results from the JBAs on his Cobra. I got them some Speedworkx Hyperformance. They are an advertiser here on the Corral. Headers were $407 + $159 for the high-temp coating. Start another thread here in the Modular forum asking about LTs and the auto tranny. I'd like to hear what people say about them. I would say this... I would DEFINITELY get the BBKs if they will work. I have two friends with '97 Cobras and they both gained 20hp peak N/A with the LTs. They are worth it if they'll work. Good luck man!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
will do ! I hope that someone will know I might just call BBK tomorrow ! See what they say. MAC keeps giving me the same answer well they should work ! Im like well if they dont I cant really exchange them afterwards especially how the shops are here locally ! Hey did you do the install yourself or did you get a shop to do it ? Also do you think the timing adjuster would be worth it ? Did you upgrade the injectors or fuel pump ? Rob

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Cujo_64 said:
will do ! I hope that someone will know I might just call BBK tomorrow ! See what they say. MAC keeps giving me the same answer well they should work ! Im like well if they dont I cant really exchange them afterwards especially how the shops are here locally ! Hey did you do the install yourself or did you get a shop to do it ? Also do you think the timing adjuster would be worth it ? Did you upgrade the injectors or fuel pump ? Rob

rob, the mac LTs will work just fine. all you have to do is take them to a muffler shop and have them move the o2 bungs to the opposite side of the collector. i had mine done for $40. the o2 bungs are on the inside of teh collector and will cause a fitting problem with the o2 sensor. piece of cake. i recommend the macs too, since they are easier to install.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool I will just have to get them fixed then. Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts