Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had found a tear in my driver side lower about an 1" long when installing my sub-frame connectors back in may. I welded up the crack and all has been fine so far. I have yet to weld/reinforce my torque boxes.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Put a nice crack in one of mine then had them all seem welded last year and no problems since. If you race on sticky tires it should be a must to weld them up...as well as the axle tubes.

Bill

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Are these 'torque boxes' the rear control arm mounting points to the underbody?
If so, Ford is putting new, heavier gage pieces in vehicles that have tears in them. I'm not sure if this only applies to vehicles still under warranty, or if they are extending it further. We have done some of these replacements here in the garage (the ones the Ford dealer can't handle).
There seems to be some issue with the material on some vehicles. Not sure if it's a source problem, a die setting problem (more than one line stamping parts), or what.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How do you "beef" them up other than to weld the seems?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
'01 Steed said:
Are these 'torque boxes' the rear control arm mounting points to the underbody?
If so, Ford is putting new, heavier gage pieces in vehicles that have tears in them. I'm not sure if this only applies to vehicles still under warranty, or if they are extending it further. We have done some of these replacements here in the garage (the ones the Ford dealer can't handle).
There seems to be some issue with the material on some vehicles. Not sure if it's a source problem, a die setting problem (more than one line stamping parts), or what.
Yes the torque boxes are the mounting points for the upper and lower control arms.

The matertial the boxes are made of are not the issue it's the welds that are the problem. I know of plenty of cars that have them simply seam welded that have well over 700RWHP and don't tear anything. The stock spot welds allow the metal to flex until it tears kind of link bending a piece of metal back and forth eventually it will tear. If you simply weld the boxes/mounting points to the car along all the seams you will not have issues.

Bill

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Good point! But once they tear, the dealer/Ford has no other option but to replace the faulty piece with new ones (with thicker gage).
I do not know, however, if the dealers are spot welding, or mig welding the replacements. In our shop, we mig them in.
None-the-less, the guys on our shop floor have been told that it is a material problem, and only a portion of vehicles will have this problem.

·
Registered
313 Posts
BlitzkriegMS_2 - At the time I found the crack I still had the stock control arms on car. I only have a set of UPR Pro series lowers on car currently and those went on in October. I have set of Granatelli double adjustable uppers to still mount and spherical housing bushing also.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would like to see pics of this.. so I can climb under my bucket and see if my welds are broken..

cant really picture it yet in my head

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Oh you'll see it if they're torn. The welds aren't breaking lose.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Highroller said:
I would like to see pics of this.. so I can climb under my bucket and see if my welds are broken.. cant really picture it yet in my head
You shouldn't need any pics. Just find one of the rear springs, and then follow it down to the piece that it sits on, which would be the lower rear control arm. If you follow it to the back of the car, it will contact the rear axle tube. If you follow it forward, it will come in contact with the underbody of the car. This is referred to as the "torque box." You can check for rips/tears there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does anyone know if the problem relates to certain years or is it a sporadic problem from '99 to '03? Also, are coupes or converts more likely to have the problem?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
hk500 said:
Does anyone know if the problem relates to certain years or is it a sporadic problem from '99 to '03? Also, are coupes or converts more likely to have the problem?
Thanks.
It relates to any 79-03 Mustang period. On your average car that doesn't see the strip or different LCA's chances are they will never rip or tear.

Bill

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I havn't tore my boxes up yet. I plan welding up the seems and maybe add torque plates before the season, but if the seems are welded good, plates arent really needed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Where do you guys go to have them welded?

My car is going to see a lot of track time this year. I just moved 5 miles away from Gainesville Raceway :D The season is going to be a long one (starts tomorrow 1/17), and I want to make sure that with my 15" d/r that I do not break anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
Geno said:
With those 15"DR's, you will end up breaking your rear faster than anything else.
All in due time. Upgrading a rear end costs a lot of money. It will take a few months until I get the money for 31 spline axles and detroit locker along with the 4.30's. Not to mention the installation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts