Ford Mustang Forums banner
1861 - 1880 of 35222 Posts

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Yeah. I need to put another 400 or so miles on it before I put synthetic in. Then I'll feel comfortable going to the dyno. I'm gonna need the tune session as it's still running a little rough.

Actually, my euphoria was short lived. Drove it all day yesterday and last night and this morning, I started it up to let it idle for a few minutes, got out went back in the house, came outside and it was still running but could see fuel gushing out from the front. Holy schnikes! I turned it off and checked under the hood but couldn't see anything obvious at a glance. Had to leave it and go to work. Definitely too much fuel to be a leaky injector. I'm thinking the fuel rails separated somehow. I'm not running that much pressure. In fact I do need to back it off a little more as it still smells rich.

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
Maybe one of the orings that seals those joints got pinched in the install and gave up the seal. Might have a few handy when you start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
I'll check that, thanks. Other things that I've noticed so far. Car does not like lower rpms. It wants the throttle. Lower rpm in any gear bucks. It may just be the cam profile. I still think it should run a little smoother though. Need to get an A/F gauge and see what's up?

Michael, also might need your help in doing the AC. I've got everything hooked up but will more or less have to do what you and Bob did to your cars. Just need to know what to get and where and then what to do.

THanks.

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
broncobuddha said:
Lower rpm in any gear bucks. It may just be the cam profile. I still think it should run a little smoother though. Need to get an A/F gauge and see what's up?
Welcome to my world... :(

I'm saving my money up for a Tweecer R/T, as I've exhausted all other possibilities.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Richard, good to see you in here on our little board inside a board. :D I was down in Madisonville last friday gathering parts for my car. you don't know anyone who has 93 cobra axles and rear brake parts do ya? I need some to rebuild a rear end.

Jeff, I am still up for those parts if you still have one of those TC rears. and if you still want to swap the rears at my place let me know. I figure you are still getting into the cobra stuff right now. I plan to take my 88 down to madisonville next month and get moving on cutting it for the t-top conversion.

Brian, a tuner or having someone set up the car would be good. Just remember that Larry had a four settings done on the dyno. The one they set up for the street was not perfect so he was running one up from it and found that it was better. the dyno can only give you so much information. Real world driving is much different. Also he had his done in a different location which was at a different sea level. I hope you can get that fuel problem fixed easily.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Any suggestions on where to go to have someone tune it locally? I'm not talking a chip or anything necessarily just get it as close as possible with what I have.

I know that a better ignition will help as well as a tunable fuel curve but it should run better with what I have to play with.

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
No doubt I'd take it up to Scott Noe in Morristown. He knows the cars, the systems and what happens when you mod them. And if he can't help, he'll tell you. He's also an AutoLogic chip burner, and many things can be altered that way - unless you prefer to pursure it yourself ala twEECer. He definitely had mine running as well as it could with the old cam.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Yes. It seems that it's still rich, which means, I'll need to go lower on the pressure. Weird as I'm at the low end of the range that Ed suggested. He knew I was running 30s with that pump. Oh well, I'll just back it off until it runs better.

Is there a way to externally hook up an A/F gauge to see what it's reading? Or where does that gauge tie into anyhow? The o2 harness?

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
Oh - A/C - you'll need a vacuum pump from KnoxTenn rentals downtown; and you'll need a set of A/C gauges - we borrowed Jeff's (NEBO); perhaps he can help again. It's pretty easy from there -- when you get ready, let me know and maybe I can swing by and help. It only took Bob and I a little while to figure it out.

Jeff (NEBO) - did you ever get yours up and running? All ok?

Jeff - I'd like to get your camera equipment back to you. A good time this week? I could meet you at the muffler shop again, pick a time.

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
Also Brian, with that cam and those heads, that thing may want as much as 18 to 20 degrees timing initial to run decently on the bottom. You're almost gonna have to have a chip to reduce the additional advance that the computer's gonna try and add so you don't have too much total. One way to test that theory is to warm it up. Disconnect the spout and set the timing at various places (20-30 degrees btdc) and go for a ride without the spout connected -- just check out the low end of the rev range and see how it does. If it likes a lot of timing off idle, you'll need the chip or twEECer to reshape the timing curve.

Assuming the maf was calibrated for 30's at stock fuel pressure, I'd go ahead and set it around 38 and go for a ride. Oh, and you'll make quicker progress if you just change one thing at a time between rides.

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Goodson said:
Richard, good to see you in here on our little board inside a board. :D I was down in Madisonville last friday gathering parts for my car. you don't know anyone who has 93 cobra axles and rear brake parts do ya? I need some to rebuild a rear end.
I've been here for a while, just mainly lurking and throwing in help when I can. I'm afraid I don't know anyone with the axles or brake parts, have one buddy with moser axles, but he sold his stock axles to another buddy who broke one of his at the strip (at one time there were 5-6 93 Cobra's in little old Madisonville (who would have thought that?). Tell you what, buy a set of Moser axles and I'll trade them even for my stock axles :D

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Michael,

Sounds good. I'll give it a try. I tried to set the timing where it would idle the best. It would definitely have to go up, because adjusting down to say 10 btdc, it would die. I'm not pinging with 93 octane and 15 degrees but don't know how much more it could take. I guess I'll play with it some. I'll try the 38psi on the FP. It's at 41 right now.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Will do. I'm gonna tinker with it tonight.

I've also decided to get a cat back exhaust from somewhere. The muffler shop pretty much butchered one of my tail pipes, had to use a 2 1/4" connector from the muffler to the 2 1/2 pipe, yuck. ALso, there's something loose somewhere, the exhaust note changes drastically from idle to around 2500 and then beyond that it changes tone again. Weird. I need quieter flows.... Shannon was like " that's quieter?" I said, yeah, quieter than without the tail pipes!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while. Been busy trying to get some things done in the non-Mustang realm. Glad to hear the car is running Brian.

Michael, can you PM or email me your phone number and a good time to call? It will be Saturday before I can get the camera myself but I may be able to get someone else to meet you or something. Probably easier to sort out on the phone.

Anybody know of any decent jobs around I'm pretty sure the axe is getting ready to fall on me at work. Two others have already been let go and things aren't looking any better. If it's any indication, there is an ongoing project that I have been involved in for approximately 5 years, the new German owners want to make sure that the operators here know how to do things the proper German way. Overseas travel plans are being made but not for me and I am one of the two original trainers. One of the guys I trained is going instead. Haven't received any truly new work in a while now. Saw a memo with 15 action items for my location and number 15 involved having 50% of my job done by the inspectors on the shop floor. I was never asked to sign the newest version of the non-compete agreement either. Unfortunately, the nearest competitor is in Maryland and I'm not moving northeast.

Even though only Paul has signed up, the track day at 411 over on HPT is really catching on 50 participants. Don't know what's up with that as test and tune at 411 =$12 and this event $15. People keep talking about all the track time they'll get, guess they have spent too much time at Knoxdragway on Thursday night. Hope to see some of you guys out there, Sunday July 20 starting at noon.

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
Jeff - home is 602-3580; I'm usually around between 9 and noon; 3-11pm. No rush on my end - it's in safe hands, so Saturday's fine.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Michael,

Thanks for the info. Fixed my gas leak. Injector over number four was loose from the rail. Didn't have that screw securing the rail to the lower intake and all that pulling the vacuum line off of the regulator separated it. Set timing to 18* and 38 psi. Runs ok. Pulls like a ***** between 3 and 4k. Still kind of a dog down low. No pinging yet, so, I guess I can go higher. Just a little weary about running that much timing.

Anyhow, it still isn't smooth all the way through the rpm band that I'm going through at this point. Oh well. Don't know if timing or fuel pressure will solve that. I do agree that I'll need a chip or tweecer or something...

1861 - 1880 of 35222 Posts