Ford Mustang Forums banner
36401 - 36420 of 36487 Posts

· Registered
4,457 Posts
It ought to move the power band up a small amount, with the power, ... but it won't pass emissions testing ;) .

I am glad we don't have to think about that here so far.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

· Registered
14,542 Posts
As old as that car is, it's probably exempt from emissions. Heck, the foxbodies are aging out as far as smog equipment goes.

· Registered
4,457 Posts
As old as that car is, it's probably exempt from emissions. Heck, the foxbodies are aging out as far as smog equipment goes.
I laugh thinking of the old air pump and the hoses going back to the heads and cats, plus the vacuum switches. Does anyone have any use for any of that anymore? I have my 92 Lincoln to get running, and it should be all original including the silencer box in the fender. I'll be scrapping all of that to put in my Explorer front dress and computer etc. I look forward to yanking all of that stuff, knowing this time it was all useless engineering.

I'm going to try to get the BBK intake I've had for ages, sent off to T Moss and his son for porting. I need to solve its fuel rail leaking issue, plug the cross over holes and add a normal line around the back or front, or both. I'd like to get it set up to work right on the original 302, before swapping the 347 in. The EGR is unique, as well as the FPR, plus the top cover plate rumors to be too thin(hums or something when running). I'll have that made thicker and do away with the OEM lettering, add my own GTC 347 I think.

· Registered
38,002 Posts
The truthful answer is - probably not noticeably. LOL! ("...change power delivery...")

These were the original cams in the first DOHC engines -- 68-71. As emissions laws started to cause reduced CR, Toyota looked for ways to preserve power in the face of lower compression ratios. So the later engines had cam lift and duration reduced to help with emissions. But they revised the head - better ports, bigger valves and dual valve springs. My head is the later (better) head with the matching later (worse) cams.

Best of both worlds is to put the early cams in the later head. So that's what I'm doing. I got them relatively cheap, and may be able to sell mine for what I bought these for. We're going from .385" lift to about .420"; and 246 duration to 258. But still mild OEM cams. I'd hope it picks up a few lb-ft and HP all over the tach. Keep in mind, all of this in a displacement that's about 23% larger. So think of HI/PO 289 heads/cam in a 347.

No inspection at all (safety or otherwise) on the Toyota or the Volvo. Anything 35 years or older.

· Registered
38,002 Posts
An aside -- after market camshafts are quite expensive for this engine. A little over $1,000 shipped from Kameari in Japan; I paid $1500 for the whole engine. Those are new camshafts cut from billet blanks -- stock base circle. You can send your cams off to companies like Schneider and get them reground -- but to increase lift and duration, they have to reduce the base circle -- which then requires custom fabrication of valve lash shims, because none of the stock shims are thick enough to account for the reduced base circle. The guys that rally these engines (yes, it still happens) are building the motors for 8500-9500 rpm. Ported heads, even bigger valves, radical cams, lots of compression. 200-220HP out of 1600 - 1800 cc's.

To put that into perspective -- Honda makes lots of versions of it's K motor -- 2.0L, 2.4L that have outputs in the 197 - 205HP range. They came in the Accord, the CRV (small ute), some of the Civic S's, etc. Contemporary technology and 4 valves per cylinder. As much power, more torque, better fuel efficiency and 300,000 mile reliability. Things have never been better than they are now. At least with regard to power plants.

· Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,744 Posts
Nice work on the finished floor.

New application engineering travel budget for my group was sent out today. My name was not listed, as was one other guy. I suspect they are going to offer me a part time move to sales as I suggested to a higher up a few weeks ago. Then all the travel is in sales and not the engineering budget. But I could be wrong and they offer full time sales or full time BYE!

My solo efforts continue to roll along. Now that Wifey's surgery is over, that's one less financial hardship if it happened after I left. :cool:.

She's doing GREAT. She's no longer taking even Tylenol. Cadaver bone and cage installed. Disk removed and bones fused. Strangely yesterday I noticed her trapezoid muscles are looser than I've ever noticed in 24yrs. They are normally steel girders and my thumb muscles can't massage for long. But now they feel like putty. I suspect the body is finally loosening up as the muscles now feel they no longer must help carry the load. At least that's my take on it. TBD if it stays this way but we are both amazed at how well she's doing. Uber blessing here gents. Thanks for prayers and concerns.

· Registered
14,542 Posts
Update on my friend with the colon surgery. He was on the ventilator for three days, came off it this morning. Numbers are improving, especially the white blood cell count. The sepsis darn near got him. Not out of the woods yet but definitely doing better. Not sure how long he will have the colostomy bag but his dad told me he knew a guy that has had one for 45 years lol.

Seriously, though, I was preparing for the worst.

Reactions: CDW6212R

· Registered
38,002 Posts
Sepsis is nasty stuff -- I'd just as soon not have to relive my 7 days in the hospital again, nor the 4 weeks afterwards where Jean injected antibiotics into my PICC line.

· Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,744 Posts
Yikes!!! At UT Med now getting another treatment. 2/3 of the way thru. I won't tell u what they are doing to me. It's TMI frankly but I'd say it might be on the scale you mentioned. Thanks 3M for doing this to me with your `must get the vax' ..... Still pissed about it. Thankfully treatments are helping but I will never be normal. Not that I ever was I know you are thinking. At least I still have my humor. :cool:

· Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,744 Posts
Current employer and I will have a good Frank discussion I believe on the 26th when my year "performance" is reviewed. Of course I am not pleased with it as I had no challenges and was bored to tears. A new travel budget for my engineering group was sent out yesterday and my name was not on the list. This is definitely curious as I think they may be trying to finagle things to keep me. I am not saying no of course before hearing them out - I am always open to a better arrangement than I could come up with on my own. But finally we may be of getting down to a decision point. I can't wait to get this behind me one way or the other.

Without knowing what they will suggest, I am hoping to get them ok with either moonlighting or part time. But full time DIY is certainly on the table and will motivate me like Ghost Rider on my six.

· Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,744 Posts
I am hopeful things will indeed be better in 2023 for me. One way or the other. Could well be more strapped financially but feeling more worthwhile and appreciated as a result as well. Time will tell! All I know is if I don't begin this journey that I could regret not taking the risk in the end. Moonlighting might make everyone happy. TBD.

· Registered
14,542 Posts
Update on my buddy: moved into a regular room and off the ventilator. Doing a lot better. Had a 15 minute phone call with him last night and he was mostly "there". In other words, he was about 85% normal, with occasional "processing" moments, or perhaps an odd phrase or two. Still on some good drugs. Expectation is he will be released late this weekend or early next week.

Still has a long way for recovery, and will have to have the colostomy bag removed at some point, but on the general road to recovery. Super glad to hear his voice, as I had already prepared for the worst.

Side note, during our brief conversation, he mentioned he had no will, no living will, sole proprietor for his business, etc etc. In other words, if he had passed, his wife would have been in a real pickle to keep the business running, putting everything through probate, etc etc. Just a reminder to everyone to get this stuff taken care of, if you haven't already. That way your family is aware of your wishes should a life threatening event occur.

I've already told my bunch, they better not spend a bunch of money putting me in the ground. Least expensive route is the way to do it. Simple cremation and scattering of ashes or similar.

· Registered
38,002 Posts
Good news Richard and wise counsel. Most states also have something called a MOST form - it’s a medical order for scope of treatment document prepared by patient/power of attorney and doctor. Spells out exactly how you want things handled. Much clearer/preferred for the medical field…many times powers of attorney and living wills have been ignored while they’re trying to sort out the details. MOST form helpful as you get older. And keep a certified copy of those medical POA’s and living wills handy…

· Registered
14,542 Posts
Buddy got to go home yesterday evening. Doing remarkably better. Will still have to have the colostomy reversed at some point but at least he will have time to get some strength back.

· Registered
38,002 Posts
Ironically -- even the medical professionals want you out of the hospital as soon as possible. No other way to better speed up your rest and healing. I got virtually no sleep at all over my 7 day stay. Vitals and blood draws every 2-4 hours. You've got to be kidding me.

36401 - 36420 of 36487 Posts