Ford Mustang Forums banner
36081 - 36100 of 36135 Posts

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Basements make it super easy to fix water leaks, or run wires, add a receptacle, etc etc. Plus, gives a great spot for mechanical room, hvac, and gives a nice conditioned spaces between house and ground.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
To give an ide aid how the projectors look, here you go. Pic is from the guy I bought them from but still accurate.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Grille Hood

·
Registered
37,868 Posts
Does that matter? ;)

She's always been creeped out by them. For me - often there are water intrusion problems - water inside the house and outside the pipes is always a problem. Besides that, especially as we age, stairs are at best an inconvenience and at worst the beginning of the end of your life. Just us though.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
I can understand that. Due to how the slope of the land is we should be ok with a walkout basement (open on one end). No guarantees, of course. It will be unfinished, so even if it does get wet it won’t last long.

I hear you on the stairs. When it gets to that point, I’ll put the kids using them. Should be a while for us, though.

When you know you are going to have a 6’ crawl space, an extra couple grand will net a full basement and add significant value to the house as well as an extra air space to help mute temp extremes.

·
Registered
37,868 Posts
This is my wife’s idea of a proper wall-to-glass ratio — another reason basements don't work for her, too dark.
Furniture Window Wood Fixture Chair

As for value - I get that. However, if/when we ever build, it’ll be the last house. I won’t build for value going into my estate. My daughter will just have to sell it for a little less.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
If a person had a crystal ball, he'd have scarfed up as many oem quarter glasses as possible. But who could have know that they'd age terribly and good ones would be super rare to find.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
And headlights. Sheesh
I was going to say the six piece headlights but changed to quarter windows. Either is crazy hard to find and essential to look good.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
And headlights. Sheesh
It's all crazy rare. Try a Mark VII headlight, and then the cornering lights, and last, the non existent turn signal lights. I have five of the six as NOS, but most now if they popped up, would run $300+ each.

You have to get great at restoring the old plastic parts, and protecting them from UV rays in the future.

Reactions: 93Cobra#2771

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
It's all crazy rare. Try a Mark VII headlight, and then the cornering lights, and last, the non existent turn signal lights. I have five of the six as NOS, but most now if they popped up, would run $300+ each.

You have to get great at restoring the old plastic parts, and protecting them from UV rays in the future.
My cousin and his 86 SVO. Headlights for that car are more rare than pretty much any others due to such low production and being unique to the SVO.

Meanwhile, for my 11F150, there are 100's of choices out there, from OEMs to repros. Of course, there were 100's of 1000's of those built from 09-14, MUCH bigger market.

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Yes, and you have to learn to collect certain parts from any vehicle you keep over 10-20 years. The late 90's Explorers were among the most popular SUV ever made, but those parts began to be obsolete over ten years ago. Some parts you just can't get any more, and we are talking about stuff less than 25 years from when new. Imagine how the really old car market evolved, old car dealer inventory became spare junk, and precious.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
The rare items for my geo are
side mirrors
window cranks
front suspension knuckles
multi function switch
fusebox cover
aero headlights (mine are the sealed composite style)

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
The multi-function switch, whew, those are fragile and critical for every car.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
We are very close on house plan finalization. My wife says she's through looking. And it's not the last plan I showed LOL. Even though it might seem we've moved quickly or rashly, we've been looking at them for over a year now. The process has gotten easy enough that I can rule one out with a couple of quick glances, generally. I've gone through hundreds of addtional plans in the past week. One site alone has over 40k plans. However, that same site also has an excellent database and search engine, and tons of parameters to help narrow the searches down. Pretty impressive, actually.

Here's our current front runner.

Reactions: Michael Yount
36081 - 36100 of 36135 Posts