Ford Mustang Forums banner
35701 - 35720 of 35761 Posts

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
That's one of the great things about a big block, you don't have to rev it to the moon to make all kinds of grunt!! I'm still gathering up all the parts for my 460 build, just got a performer RPM intake, and about to make a decision on the heads... 🤔🤔
Here's my friend's old 74 Maverick, his son driving it at our 1/8 mile track(411 Dragway). He sold the car but kept the 521 engine. The tunnel ram was the real deal, big ports and two Holley's. They never got the torque converter sorted out, so they never got to the chassis, or the engine to final adjust and tune. It ran great but took forever to R&R the power glide and have the TC sent off to rebuild three times.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
552 Posts
That Maverick looks sweet!! And yuppers, since all the V-8's from the late 70's were so smogged and choked out that was the only thing they could do with em... Tune for torque to try and make the great EPA gods happy and try to keep the public 1/2 way satisfied with em... I had a 79 F-150 2wd long bed w a 4 speed... That thing even a smogged as those were had all kinds of torque!! Ran really well, I even got about 16-18 mpg out of it as long as I didn't run it hard.. Finally sold it cause the rear main was going thru about 1 qt of oil every 50-100 miles. Guy I sold it to fixed it and drove it for 10 more years!! I've always been a firm believer in the 351M and 400 series. Those engines just came out at the wrong time, could a been a real powerhouse in Ford's stable if they were done right!!

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
That Maverick looks sweet!! And yuppers, since all the V-8's from the late 70's were so smogged and choked out that was the only thing they could do with em... Tune for torque to try and make the great EPA gods happy and try to keep the public 1/2 way satisfied with em... I had a 79 F-150 2wd long bed w a 4 speed... That thing even a smogged as those were had all kinds of torque!! Ran really well, I even got about 16-18 mpg out of it as long as I didn't run it hard.. Finally sold it cause the rear main was going thru about 1 qt of oil every 50-100 miles. Guy I sold it to fixed it and drove it for 10 more years!! I've always been a firm believer in the 351M and 400 series. Those engines just came out at the wrong time, could a been a real powerhouse in Ford's stable if they were done right!!
The Cleveland 2-barrel heads were on all of the 400's and 351M's, those were as good of a small block head as any Chevy or Dodge SB head. They had relatively large ports(compared to all small blocks except the 351-4V's), and can support 400hp with ease(and no porting). They are very under appreciated, they had 2.07" intake valves BTW. Almost all aftermarket Cleveland heads are based around those stock 2V intake ports.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
The Cleveland 2-barrel heads were on all of the 400's and 351M's, those were as good of a small block head as any Chevy or Dodge SB head. They had relatively large ports(compared to all small blocks except the 351-4V's), and can support 400hp with ease(and no porting). They are very under appreciated, they had 2.07" intake valves BTW. Almost all aftermarket Cleveland heads are based around those stock 2V intake ports.
351M and 400 were the 2 most underappreciated and kicked around engines Ford ever made... With just a few parts and some TLC they make really good power and gobs of torque for the cubes!

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Their big negative was their weight, the block is virtually as long as a big block, and the 10.2" deck height is right their too. I'd say the weight is within 50lbs of a 460 engine.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welllll ya gotta remember a 460 has a 10.3 deck, so yeah not a lotta difference there.. they are almost 4 in shorter in length tho, since they didn't have the huge bores the big block have. According to the scales on T Meyer's website a complete 400 - the carb was 575 lbs.. From the 460 Ford forum, A stock iron headed 460 is 640 lbs.. with aluminum intake, heads, and water pump, you can get that down to 576... For comparison an iron head and intake small block chebby comes in at 525... Another lil reality kick... A bare 460 block weighs less than a bare iron LS block.. That's one reason why I'm not really too concerned about weight on my big block swap I'm doing. If I do it right, counting moving the battery in the back it's not gonna handle all that bad I don't think... Not counting the massive right foot induced oversteer....

·
Registered
37,444 Posts
Well, actually, with bigs and littles and enough traction at the back and a bunch of lock at the front, you can induce right foot understeer. But it's not usually what happens.

You can find all sorts of listings of engine weights on the web. But it's pretty hard to find someone that's actually weighed stuff and can post their findings. I finally got to do that with the 5.0L and the LS3 in the Volvo, and with both engines in the Toyota. No huge surprises.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Currently I've got a 235/60R15 on the front and a 255/60R15 on the back, imma keep it somewhere similar to that, maybe a lil fatter from an back if I can get away with it in the future... The skinnies may be ok for the strip, but to me they just look dangerous for street driving.. (IMHO) here's a cpl of pics on my Cherry Bomb from today, FINALLY got the [email protected] hood on it I ordered 1 1/2 years ago today with some help from a cpl of friends!!!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Those are original Ford 15x7 front and LMR 15x9 rear wheels.. I had a set of those old 10 hole wheels on a 79 Mercury Zephyr I had back in the 80's and loved the look, so that's why I'm sticking with the 15 in wheels...

·
Registered
37,444 Posts
Keep in mind -- there are some general guidelines about how much tire (section width) you should put on what width wheel. You get to a point where, while you might be able to mount a wider tire, it won't actually help you much with grip/traction if the wheel you have it on is too narrow.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Point of no return, too much width and not enough ground pressure 😉 maybe a 245/60R15in the front and a set of 275/50R15's or 60 series in the back when I change the exhaust pipes!

·
Registered
37,444 Posts
Rule of thumb -- wheel width + 2" = maximum section width. 7" + 2" = 9". 9" x 25.4 mm/in = 228mm section width
9" + 2" = 11" ---- 279mm section width. So on those wheels -- the 275 in the back is at the limit. Going bigger than 225 section width in the front (7" wheel) is probably just adding tire weight.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Welllll ya gotta remember a 460 has a 10.3 deck, so yeah not a lotta difference there.. they are almost 4 in shorter in length tho, since they didn't have the huge bores the big block have. According to the scales on T Meyer's website a complete 400 - the carb was 575 lbs.. From the 460 Ford forum, A stock iron headed 460 is 640 lbs.. with aluminum intake, heads, and water pump, you can get that down to 576... For comparison an iron head and intake small block chebby comes in at 525... Another lil reality kick... A bare 460 block weighs less than a bare iron LS block.. That's one reason why I'm not really too concerned about weight on my big block swap I'm doing. If I do it right, counting moving the battery in the back it's not gonna handle all that bad I don't think... Not counting the massive right foot induced oversteer....
The 400 and 460 block are virtually the same length, by my math in my head. The bore spacing is 4.38" for all SBF's, the 460 has a 4.90" spacing. So the difference is about 1/2", times four cylinders, so it's 2" more. The Cleveland engines(351's and 400) all have a thick cast iron extension at the front covering the timing chain set. Their timing cover is a thin flat steel plate. The meat of the 460 block does make it heavier, as do the heavier crank and rods. I'd call 65lbs a decent estimate difference. I weighed my 351C crank as well as my 400 way back in the late 80's, I think it was about 7lbs difference for those. The intakes are very heavy, as are the heads.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Oh yeh, those old iron parts were heavy as hell I'll agree! I'm planning on investing in aluminum a bunch in the near future... I've already got a performer rpm intake, ordered 1 SCJ bare head,(I'll order the other one when I gots the funds!) And planning on a aluminum water pump... That cast one surprised me on how heavy it was... The 93-97 ones has extra support cast in em...

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Just because I haven’t posted any lake lot pics lately, here you go. Two looking up the lake and one uphill - lot at the top. Cloud Water Sky Plant Natural landscape
Water Water resources Plant Sky Natural landscape
Plant Natural landscape People in nature Wood Tree

35701 - 35720 of 35761 Posts