Ford Mustang Forums banner
35681 - 35700 of 35761 Posts

·
Registered
37,444 Posts
Yup - that's exactly what I was getting at Richard - a lot of that sheet metal is just "hanging out there".

'Course, the upside of the additional weight/structure is that the contemporary stuff is much safer, much stiffer/better handling and because of that stays tighter/quieter for much longer than the old stuff did. It's all relative -- back to back I drove the Corolla and then the Volvo last week. Getting out of the Corolla and into the Volvo my overwhelming thought was "Jeez, this thing is like a Lexus!" Then I got in my daily and thought '....well, maybe the Volvo isn't like a Lexus....'

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
You should go from a Geo Metro to..... ANYTHING!

Even going from the 2011 Sonata to the 2021 Kia Soul is a bit eye opening. I'm still very impressed with the ride of the Kia. Firm but not harsh. Of course, the tires likely have a lot to do with that. Low profiles on the Sonata vs Soul. Well, that and almost half the miles.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Yeah the old cars were a lot bigger. My old Gran Torino was called a mid sized Ford back then. But I remember how big that was, and to parallel park it every day at UT was not fun. That one had manual steering, and was a work out to park quickly with it. So one early project with it was to install power steering, that helped a lot. I've wished it was possible to cut a foot out of the front fenders to shorten the front end, most old cars were too long.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I think they were for some models, I had family with lots of 60's cars, the Marauder comes to mind of one friend. Those were as big as any 70's stuff, but the typical 70's Lincoln was a monster, while a 1973 LTD was big but not quite that huge. They all had just adequate suspension and brakes, and few comforts that we all take for granted now.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
I remember my elderly neighbor had a early 70's 4 door LTD. That thing was HUGE. Trunks on those cars could easily fit two people without shoulders touching. I have fond memories of those cars while loading groceries during my retail career. Why? Because you ALWAYS knew the groceries would fit without much effort.

I can remember opening a trunk on one of those and there being a full set of tires/wheels in there. Yes, the groceries still fit. LOL

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
My dad's 73 LTD had a 351W in it, while my best friend had a 71, with a 390 in his.

Reactions: 93Cobra#2771

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Parents had a 76 tbird. Monstrous. 460 big block, factory dual exhaust, wire wheel caps. Didn't have the hideaway headlights, which was my favorite (I was four years old).

Enough chrome to blind pedestrians, inside and out. Auto headlights, power EVERYTHING, that thing was awesome. White with white leather interior.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
LOL I was going to guess 185hp. That puppy had decent torque, though. And man, that car road like it was on clouds. Because, you know, two ton car on 15" wheels and super soft suspension. I bet it would get .75g on skid pad. HAHA.

·
Registered
37,444 Posts
I think it was rated at 370 torque. No shortage of torque with the big V8’s. They were just all done by 4000 rpm - hence, no power. They could float down the interstate though.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
552 Posts
My dad had a 79 Lincoln 2 door, can't remember the model, baby blue with white trim! The coolest thing I remember about that thing was it had automatic dimming headlights!! I can remember him using a stop sign to get the adjustment right on them! Years ahead of their time even back then! How many cars have that feature now??

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Parents had a 76 tbird. Monstrous. 460 big block, factory dual exhaust, wire wheel caps. Didn't have the hideaway headlights, which was my favorite (I was four years old).

Enough chrome to blind pedestrians, inside and out. Auto headlights, power EVERYTHING, that thing was awesome. White with white leather interior.
Those were nice, I saw many in local junkyards and bought a few parts I could store. I think the power window wiring I have came from one of those. If you liked that interior, you should browse the GranTorinoSport.org forum.

That forum is mainly for the many intermediate 70's Fords, but they welcome any old Fords. The 72 Gran Torino began that interior, and it was in all of those intermediates, the Thunderbird got it in 1974 or 75, and through 1979. All of the interior parts swap among those, the shapes of the external parts were the main differences. So a Montego, a Cougar, an LTD II, the Starsky and Hutch models, plus the Ranchero's, they all share interiors. You can mix the door panels, dash, seats, consoles etc. So a Cleveland will bolt into a 79 Thunderbird etc, the 385 series big blocks too.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
My dad had a 79 Lincoln 2 door, can't remember the model, baby blue with white trim! The coolest thing I remember about that thing was it had automatic dimming headlights!! I can remember him using a stop sign to get the adjustment right on them! Years ahead of their time even back then! How many cars have that feature now??
Yeah, the 76 tbird had those as well. It also had, GASP, a clock right in the dash. Man, were we spoiled back then or what?

IIRC, the 79 Lincoln was on the same chassis as the 76 bird. Two door version. And it had the hideaway headlights that I wanted so bad. Loved to see them operate. LOL

Also had a 9" rearend as well. Never even came close to enough power to damage that rear. I can't remember if it had a limited slip (I don't think it did) but I do remember dad smoking the tires a time or two.

·
Registered
37,444 Posts
Its “limited slip” was the hp rating of the engine. ;)

Dad’s 69 225 was before emissions began to strangle output. 430 cube, 360HP, 475 lb-ft. All the action was below 5000 rpm.

·
Registered
37,444 Posts
My replacement (warranty) O2 sensor for the AEM a/f ratio gauge came in. Pretty interesting - an actual Bosch marked sensor. The one that lasted 2 minutes had no markings of any kind on the sensor or the plug. I’m thinking they cheap out with cheap O2 when they sell the kit and then hope they don’t have to replace.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Yeah, the 76 tbird had those as well. It also had, GASP, a clock right in the dash. Man, were we spoiled back then or what?

IIRC, the 79 Lincoln was on the same chassis as the 76 bird. Two door version. And it had the hideaway headlights that I wanted so bad. Loved to see them operate. LOL

Also had a 9" rearend as well. Never even came close to enough power to damage that rear. I can't remember if it had a limited slip (I don't think it did) but I do remember dad smoking the tires a time or two.
The Lincolns were all on a different chassis, a hair larger, plus rear disc brakes. The LTD shared some parts of the Lincoln chassis, until the LTD was down sized onto the intermediate chassis, thus the LTD II of 1977-79. The bigger chassis also had 5x5" bolt pattern wheels. The police versions of 1973(mid year) to 1979 got 5x5" wheels too, just unique rotors using the larger caliper brackets from the bigger Ford chassis cars. I've been looking for the police rotors from 1972 to mid 73, they are obsolete at the moment. Those can be upgrades if you swap the caliper brackets on those early cars.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
552 Posts
Its “limited slip” was the hp rating of the engine. ;)

Dad’s 69 225 was before emissions began to strangle output. 430 cube, 360HP, 475 lb-ft. All the action was below 5000 rpm.
That's one of the great things about a big block, you don't have to rev it to the moon to make all kinds of grunt!! I'm still gathering up all the parts for my 460 build, just got a performer RPM intake, and about to make a decision on the heads... 🤔🤔

35681 - 35700 of 35761 Posts