Ford Mustang Forums banner
35081 - 35100 of 35255 Posts

·
Registered
13,831 Posts
Realistically speaking, we all know that our cars aren't going to be jumped in and hotwired. They are at the age point where people hope to see them parked somewhere and will grab them and simply tow them away.

·
Registered
37,245 Posts
Yup - if it's out somewhere (I'm always with it) they'll just roll up with that wrecker that has the "arms" that reach out/down and grab the front tires, lift it up and roll it away.

Reactions: 93Cobra#2771

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,425 Posts
Does make it harder than just walking up to it and driving off however. If a criminal REaLLY wants something I have theres no stopping them.

·
Registered
37,245 Posts
Found the right wire; cut it; stripped both ends back; clipped em together with an alligator clip; cranked car (man that sucker starts QUICK!); pulled wires apart - engine immediately shut off. Headed to Advance Auto for toggle.

·
Registered
13,831 Posts
Sweet!

·
Registered
37,245 Posts
The bad news -- it leaked under pressure. The good news -- it was from the little tapered plug in the top of the t'stat housing. Pulled it out, cleaned it up, RTV'd the threads and screwed it back in. Feel confident enough that I started putting the front end back together.

Car Bicycle Tire Vehicle Grille

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design

·
Registered
13,831 Posts
Man, that looks GOOD sitting in there. People will definitely be doing some double takes when they see that monster under that little hood. Now that Michael has his confidence in RTV, it's "RTV the world!!!". :p

I like the cribs on the rollers.

Looking forward to hearing about the test drive. Don't forget the missing bolts in the firewall portion of the strut tower brace.

·
Registered
13,831 Posts
Figured as much - just didn't want you to hear the loose STB knocking against the firewall, mistake it for the motor knocking, and driving the whole thing off a cliff... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
37,245 Posts
So far - Houston, we do NOT have a problem. 30 minutes after drive, floor dry. No untoward noises/smells. No smoke in mirror. 60 psig at 3000 rpm with temp at 195F. Feels strong, but don’t want to cut it loose til final tuning done. 😎👏

·
Registered
37,245 Posts
And 5 hours after drive - floor still dry. Planning on taking it to Cars/Coffee Sat morning weather permitting. Gotta clean 4 months worth of dust off of it!

Need to explore timing curve a bit. I don't think I'm getting quite as much mechanical advance as I thought I would. May not be an issue worth messing with. The other engine liked 32-34 degrees total advance. I'm told by several that the DOHC version only needs about 28 degrees total. Also need to explore how much advance the vacuum canister is adding - I hooked it up for the first time for the drive -- and would have expected my idle speed to be higher than I left it -- because more advance. But that didn't happen. May have to swap my known-good canister from the other engine's dizzy to this dizzy. All easy stuff though - I've had these dizzy's apart so many times.

Once the timing curve is nailed down I'll get back to carbs. Each manifold runner has a 3/8" barbed fitting in it -- and those are all joined together with tubing for balancing and to create a more stable vacuum signal for the brake booster and the vacuum advance. So one cylinder at a time I'll block off 3 of those fittings and use a vacuum gauge on the 4th to set the idle mixture one barrel at a time. There'll be a little "range" where max vacuum occurs - put the screw in the middle of that. Once all 4 are done, I'll check the balance between the carbs with the flow meter - they're balanced right now. If the balance is thrown off by setting the idle mixture - rebalance, and then go back and check the idle mixture with vacuum again. Rinse/repeat - keep iterating that process until one change doesn't impact the other.

And then -- recharge the A/C!!!!

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,425 Posts
Awesome, five hours! Yes!! I’ve never done anything with carbs, I learned cars in my first ‘86 GT which of course was EFI. But it doesn’t sound difficult, just iterative.

·
Registered
37,245 Posts
Well, I haven't put an O2 sensor/A-F gauge yet -- that'll tell what, if anything, has to be done about various jet, air bleed and emulsion tube sizes. If I'm significantly off there - I'd probably rather switch to efi than start the next iteration game.

35081 - 35100 of 35255 Posts