Ford Mustang Forums banner
34801 - 34820 of 36109 Posts

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,670 Posts
I’ve often noted a strange coincidence that many of these mass killings happen at a perfect time to advance the “no 2A” agenda. I am not sure this one does but others sure have. I could go on but I’ll stop here.

On an AutoMotive note, I just ordered up a Planted base to mount the driver Recaro into the coupe. Next months discretionary spending may allow purchase of the passenger side system.

Can’t wait to try these out In the car.

·
Registered
37,857 Posts
Johnny Cash explaining how the 1st and 2nd Amendments work in tandem - “I cherish the rights we have - even a First Amendment right to burn a US flag. There’s also a 2nd Amendment right to bear arms. So if you burn MY flag, you’re gonna get shot.”

Clarity.

·
Registered
37,857 Posts
Read another article on a couple that used a new Rivian EV pickup to tow a vintage Mustang from Detroit to L.A. and back to test the set up. Their route was 2700 miles. Took 27 stops to charge -- averaged 100 miles on a charge. Spent 20 hours charging - let that sink in. And at all stops they were either blocking access for others with their trailer or they had to drop the trailer to charge.

Yup -- we should be all EV in the next year or two. No problems. Biden tells me between ice cream bites we have a great opportunity in front of us.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Yup -- we should be all EV in the next year or two. No problems. Biden tells me between ice cream bites we have a great opportunity in front of us.
A great opportunity for those investors (and lobbyists) to make $$$ behind the scenes. Follow the $$$ if you can find the routes, and all makes perfect sense as to what is being said by who. Every time.

·
Registered
37,857 Posts
"....behind the scenes..." -- hell, it's all right out in front of us. Look at Elon's net worth - much of it subsidized right out of our pockets. Sometimes I feel like I should break down and buy one just because I've already paid for most of it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
EV’s can kiss my ass! I heard somewhere that the powers that be were throttling hay production in the 20’s to force more people off horses and into cars…
I can’t find anything to back that up though

On a lighter note!
I think the pellet pizza oven is my new obsession.

Food Pizza Tableware Ingredient Recipe

Food Pizza Recipe Tableware Ingredient

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
Did a weight distribution hitch install on a fellow camper's truck/trailer this weekend. 2.5 hours work, $200. Now, if I could just line up four of those a day I'd quit my regular job. LOL

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
I noticed a crazy auction price from early June while browsing comic book values. Marvel made a title in 1992 called Marvel Milestones, which was just a handful of reprints of old popular issues. I bought at least two of most of them shortly after I discovered them, $1.75 cover price and cost $2-3 back then. They were nice to be able to pull out and read those original hot books.

Anyway, they made one of ASM 101, I don't know why, it wasn't a hot character back then(Morbius). I got it as another Spider-Man book for my collection. Now those reprints are selling hot, $200 and up for most. I still have one raw ASM 101, so I was looking for a rough idea of its value, it's about a 7.5 grade. But there were so many of the reprint copies being sold, I noticed several of the prices.

Somebody paid $660 for a 9.6 CGC graded copy, not signed, on June the 2nd I believe.
That is nuts, you could have bought as many as you wanted 10 years ago for likely $5- $10 each, raw not graded CGC books. I'd bet you could have bought all of those reprints that way. Now the 2020 world hits, and collectibles are way more popular. Stan Lee died and there are new collectors who are buying anything with his name on it, for way more than the value without the signature.

So any reprint book that someone got Stan Lee to sign, was dumb back then because he signed thousands per year. But now a new wave of collectors exist who pay premiums for signature books. All of those reprint books are now gold to those who had them signed and graded.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
My brother just broke the seal on a book (don't remember which one) to send off and get signed and regraded. He was pretty excited about the prospects.

The last 6-8 months he has changed his buying game. He's gone from more of a speculative buying/collecting mindset, to buying older stuff that he's always wanted and has an established history of never going down in price as well as showing increased value year by year.

One example was first appearance of Swamp Thing. He picked it up not too long ago. I forget the condition and such but it wasn't cheap.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Comics have been a decent investment in the long term only, with very few key issues being smart to buy for short term gains. I've been into ASM for 50 years so I'm used to the many great books, and the rest are mediocre for making money. That was always fine for me, because I was a collector, never an investor.

But now the economy has screwed up so many things. A lot of people are thinking comics are a sure thing to invest in. Tell your brother to be very careful, this past two years is a huge anomaly, and I think it's 90% from the 2020 turmoil with government. Things will calm down and tons of books will drop in price to lower more reasonable levels.

I have easily 500+ books that I'd love to have graded right now, and sell fast before the prices drop. Most are already leveling off that I'm watching(stuff I own). Many of those if graded would sell now for $200-$1000 each, which will next year, or the next, come down 20-50%. It's just crazy demand right now that people are reacting by grading as much as they can, fast, to sell. That will increase supplies a lot near future, and demand will drop slowly as the new collectors buy their books. Some are investors who are buying for sure, but I think the biggest demand change is a much larger number of collectors.

I still have some old ASM, so the newer collectors of the serious high grades, they will be looking for the most scarce issues for a long time. I have an ASM 11 in 9.2, which has about 15 copies at that or higher grades. There are way more than that number of collectors, who want those highest grade books. I gave $3986 for my 9.2 #11 in 2010, and 9.0's have sold for $15k+ lately. There are so few to find, many sell outside the auction or public venues. So putting a price on those is very hard. I've wanted to have this #11 regraded, it might be a 9.4, which doubles the value.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
Yeah, he's very cautious and not jumping on the escalation bandwagon. He's only buying on ones with a proven track record and nice steady growth.

He's actually a collector first and investor second. He collects because he likes them, and if they continue to rise in value, it's a win win.

He's been collecting since he was 8-9 years old, and is 45 now. I'd say the last ten years is when he really started getting serious about collecting. Comics are his "discretionary spending" and he really doesn't spend money on much else. Other than gasoline. LOL

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
37,857 Posts
Lost our internet cable drop in storm Sunday - they can’t get to it til Wed….at least I know what the problem is. And a garage door spring broke Sat. Had them put longer, bigger diameter wire springs on. Big difference for the opener … everything should last longer.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
Confirm they adjusted the spring correctly - when door is half way up and disconnected from opener, door should remain stationary and not move.

Too much spring for the opener is as bad as not enough spring. From what I've seen, though, most doors are under sprung. Mine was.

To be as expensive as they are, door openers are a wear item, as well as the doors themselves. You can rest assured, something will have to be replaced at some point.

I still have a lifetime warranty on my Genie opener from circa 1997. At least until they quit making parts for it.

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just had one spring replaced with dual springs, $600. When the single busted the door was down, thank goodness. Sounded like a plane landed in my garage. Couldn't imagine it free falling on something.

On a lighter note I pinched a nerve in my neck, miserable feeling. Went to a chiropractor instead of the ER, it worked. Im feeling ok now and might get some sleep after 3 nights. The whole neck snap thing scared me but turned out not to be a big deal. Glad I did.

·
Registered
37,857 Posts
Hope it stays feeling better for a long, long time Frank.

Yup Richard -- not my first garage door/opener rodeo. I've installed more than I care to think about over the decades. In the 16 years we've been here -- the opener has had to be replaced once, and the track drive/belt has had to be replaced once on the latest opener unit - broken belt. I think the problems with the opener was because the door was under-sprung. With the track disconnected (like in a power outage) I could BARELY lift the door up. Springs were replaced 6 years ago when one broke while we were home. Sounded like a shotgun being discharged in the garage. This time we had a long talk about spring rates and rated cycle/life. I spent a bit more but went with longer/bigger springs that can provide the required lift force while working much less hard. They should last longer - rated at 20,000 cycles (one up/down is one cycle) as opposed to the 10,000 that the previous units were rated at. Of course, that assumes you keep them lubed properly (quarterly). And life for the opener motor and belt is now MUCH easier. The guy who did the install was a veteran installer - did a great job setting equal tension in the cable hubs side to side and setting the lift force, as well as resetting the stops.

Actually, resisting too much lift force doesn't cause much of a problem for the motor - the motor has to "resist" the door's drop every time you close it as the door from halfway down is 'pulling' on the motor. But too much lift force wreaks havoc on the drive system because then the door/springs are trying to "push" on a chain or belt drive. And they're not made to transfer power that way.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
Spot on, as usual. As you probably guessed, not my first rodeo with springs/doors either. And attachment angle of the openers to the doors varies by manufacturers, and they often don't match with the door requirements. Some like a high angle, some like a low angle. The lift arms are angled differently according to different manuf, so forces can do some weird stuff on the top panel if not set up correctly, such as pulling down at same time as pushing the assembly along the tracks, etc.

Original door on my house lasted maybe 15 years. Undersprung, not adjusted correctly, nor installed correctly by the builders. They put it WAY too tight against the jam. Didn't realize it till I started having problems, way past home warranty of course.

Once I started going through it, found all kinds of stuff they didn't do correctly. By then, it was too late, several of the door panels were compromised. Ended up replacing the entire door after the top two compromised panels were bent during a severe storm that blew threw around 2011 or so.

Got a good quality Hormann solid foam door, and me and a buddy did the install, including the torsion spring assembly. Plenty of spring now. Reworked the tracks and everything. Wish I had caught all that during the house build, but didn't know enough to know what I they were doing.

Had to replace the carrier on the opener in that time frame. Due to being too tight to the jamb and under sprung.

May remember my most recent adventure when the run capacitor died on the opener. Cap got replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,670 Posts
Pinched nerves or back problems are no joke Frank. Glad you got relief. I swear by acupuncture/ Chiro and even professional massage therapy For pinched nerves and even scare tissue help with decades of weight lifting.

Aging isn’t for the weak.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
Indeed, after my recent battle with my sciatic nerve, not a bit of fun. Chiro helped me as well, mainly I think the electro stimulus on the muscles surround the nerve did the ticket.

I have found since then that my sciatic will get a bit sore when I'm slacking a bit in the gym. Exercise has been a big deal to keep it healthy. That and specific stretches. Do some google work and see what stretches you can do that might strengthen the area around the nerve.

·
Registered
37,857 Posts
During our 2 year at-home stint, I found it difficult to get the kind of leg workout I wanted in the garage. Noticed my knees would start to complain every now and again. Got back in the gym in April --- restarted my leg work. Within 2 weeks, all knee complaints gone. And upped yoga to twice a week. As Richard alluded to - use it or lose it.

What really gets me Richard is the number of garages that are built with framing/drywall so close to the garage door shaft that you can't slide it one way or the other to remove/replace springs, bearings, cable hubs, etc. You have to unbolt the whole mechanism from the wall and take it down -- work on it on the floor, and then re-install it. PITA. Luckily, my garage is not that way.

34801 - 34820 of 36109 Posts