Ford Mustang Forums banner
34741 - 34760 of 35220 Posts

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,404 Posts
Aaah. Sitting on the porch drinking coffee and enjoying the sun on the lake water and musical wind blowing thru the pine trees…. This IS my place of refreshment and soul relaxation.

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
Raising the level of the game. ;)

George Calvert Yount -- transplant from Missouri, whose family came from NC (origin of the Yount name in the US) married the MAID of a Spanish General who owned almost all of the NAPA valley. As a wedding gift, the General gifted George and his new wife 12,000 acres in the NAPA valley -- an area which eventually became the city of Yountville, about 9 miles (as I recall) from Napa, CA. Daddy did some genealogical research BEFORE the internet made it much easier.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
So, have you done an official lineage trace to see how closely you are related?

Wife's grandmother passed away, appreciate all the thoughts and prayers. She's in a better place now.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,404 Posts
I missed that note. My condolences to your family Richard. It’s a hard blow when one of our closest leaves. I lift your family in prayer for peace and comfort during this tough time.

Reactions: 93Cobra#2771

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
So, have you done an official lineage trace to see how closely you are related?

Wife's grandmother passed away, appreciate all the thoughts and prayers. She's in a better place now.
God Bless your families Richard at this hard time.

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
Hopefully -- much more relief than grief at this point Richard. That was a LONG life.

I know my father's lineage all the way back to 1721 when George and Anna Marie Jundt came as Huguenots from Alsace-Lorraine (then a part of Germany) to the States -- where immigration officials changed the spelling to Yount.

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Very cool! Dads family has been traced back into the 1700’s here as well. You know the James White Parkway in knoxville? Yep, that’s us.

Moms family came in from Germany in the 1800’s.And like you, the last name was spelled differently over here compared to in Germany.

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
On week number two of using "multi-focal" contact lenses. Basically, two prescriptions in one lens. I've not worn contacts in almost two years, as I just got tired of fooling with them, plus the computer work/vision wasn't that good. Even in the 3-4 years before I quit wearing them, I was only wearing on the weekend.

Early last week, eye doc suggested B&L multi focal lenses. Went about ten days with them and did a followup appt yesterday.

They were doing pretty good, but I felt the left eye could be better. Sure enough, the lens had rotated on the eye around ten degrees and had my astigmatism all out of whack.

Swapped to a new Rx on the left eye and woohoo! No more glasses shuffle from close up to far away work. Not only that, now I can actually see what I'm doing if working on a car, or other things where you have a broad range of focus required. For example, with my distance glasses on, I couldn't read sizes on sockets without over the top of my lenses or raising them up. With my close up glasses, could only see maybe a couple of feet out before things blurred. Gobs of fun.

I'm good to see from about 12" out to infinity now. Added advantage is that everything is physically bigger when using contacts, so that helps close up vision even more.

Figured I'd share with the rest of the old eyes in here. Oh, and if you don't have one, get a headlamp. They are awesome.

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
"Added advantage is that everything is physically bigger when using contacts...."

Note to self --- get wife some contacts.
No no no, it's just for my self esteem. My biceps are huge now.

On a side note, interesting read for Germany and their current energy situation.

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
I’ve been shouting it for 10 years Richard. The math won't even come close to working. 20 years and trillions of $ and globally - 3% of energy comes from renewables. We’re not even close. And storage of electricity - even further (much further) away from a solution. Math is undefeated. We’re on a path to bankrupt the country trying to “fix” a non-existent problem which we don’t have a workable solution for. Ludicrous.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,404 Posts
Those contacts do sound interesting. I gave up on traditional contacts about 5 years ago as they would not stay perfectly aligned (also astigmatism here). I used readers when close up was required.

These pst five years I’ve made do with progressive glasses which so suck when working under a car, otherwise they are fine.

Maybe I’ll try some of those contacts at my next visit. Thanks for sharing bro.

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
My fear is that there's a blue wave via those who control/organize/count the vote. I didn't vote in the primaries --- not sure yet whether I can muster the patience to go stand in line for that any longer. Not sure my vote makes any difference at all.

Did you read about Republican (in name only) Liz Cheney in WY actually encouraging registered democrats to register as Republicans so they can vote for her in the upcoming primary? Each day, you can't distinguish Babylon Bee news from the "real" news.

Reactions: MustangII460x2

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,404 Posts
I didn’t read that. Sad news. I too feel the same way about my vote. If I feel this election also is stolen it may be the last time I vote in national elections.

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
Just went through my physical cycle. Blood work damn near perfect. Good cholesterol could be a bit higher; bad a bit lower. But everything in range. Closing in on 70 - 6'2", 183, 110/70 BP, resting heart rate of 60, in the gym 4-5 days a week for 45 years. No drugs (prescribed or otherwise), no smoke, essentially no drink (glass of wine twice a year maybe), healthy diet - clean living. My wife strongly encourages me while at the physical to inquire about a baseline bone density test. The females in my family are overwhelmed with osteoporosis and osteopenia -- genes. Dr. is reluctant but agrees to request it and see if Medicare will cover. They agree - test scheduled a week later. Get the results -- spine, forearm are just fine. But I'm one tenth of a point into the osteoporosis score in my hip/femur. A -2.6 when -2.5 is the beginning of the range. Interesting.

Without any contact with me, I get a note from the pharmacy telling me my Fosamax (alendronate) is ready. If you're not familiar - pull up the list of possible side effects. The side-effect list is longer than the femurs we're trying to preserve and many of them persist even after you stop taking the drug. Some very severe. He also suggests I go on a 2000 IU daily dose of vitamin D and start an exercise program.

I point out to him -- In my PROFILE -- I take a multivitamin that includes 2000 IU's of vitamin D. Does he want me to take ANOTHER 2000? In my PROFILE - I do calisthenics and weights (resistance training) targeting legs 3 days a week and cardio-boxing/walking 3-4 days a week which also targets the legs/bones. Does he want me to do more than the 40-70 minutes a day I've been doing since I was 20? I eat foods routinely in healthy amounts that are vitamin D rich - dairy products, salmon, tuna, eggs. More of that? I explain that because of the possible negative side effects, I only want to take Fosamax if it's absolutely necessary - so I want to explore dietary and exercise/PT options first, with possible more frequent bone scans to see if we're holding our own, getting worse, getting better. Particularly since almost ALL the data about the disease is based on post-menopausal women. Virtually no data out there taken from men with osteoporosis. So, wouldn't it make sense to go slow on meds?

His reply sounds like an old Emily Latilla skit in Sat Night Live. "Oh, that's very different. Never mind." Your vitamin D regimen sounds fine. Your exercise regimen sounds great. Forget the Fosamax. Since you're barely in the range, we'll just scan again in 2 years.

Initially, he didn't want to schedule it. Reluctantly he did. Without consulting me, he a sent prescription to pharmacy. And when I focused his attention on info that was already in my profile, he did a 180. If I'd blindly followed his advice I'd be overdoing Vitamin D and starting a drug with lots of possible negative side effects that I probably don't need to be on at all yet. Is it me? My buddy thinks most docs are just hourly employees working for whoever is paying the bill - Medicare, Insurance company. I think he's right.

Reactions: CDW6212R
34741 - 34760 of 35220 Posts