Ford Mustang Forums banner
34241 - 34260 of 34378 Posts

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,090 Posts
Yeah they sure “looked” undersized but I am also used to 12v systems and not 24v where smaller gauge is acceptable. A 48v system would allow smaller of course. I know you know this Michael, but I am just restating for others who might read this later.

Those cables I used were functioning great but…. Safety is #1 I don’t want a house burning down!! Also adding a 150a breaker between the battery and inverter. The later HAS a built in 200a breaker but I want a cut off before that is approached.

·
Registered
36,966 Posts
As with most things Chris - I was able to find sources who recommended both approaches. I was never able to get clarity on what happens to the energy generated with no where to go. Heat somewhere my physics tells me….

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,090 Posts
I will keep researching thanks Michael. For the immediate future it’s not a big concern as I will be leaving out the panels only when harvesting photons & accumulating electrons.

When eventually I go fully externally mounted panels I will make sure my understanding is more complete.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,090 Posts
That’s how I’ve been looking at it ….. but what does a ceramic engineer who avoided electrical classes as much as possible know about such??

At least for I am learning slowly.

·
Registered
13,622 Posts
On the positive side, pulling panels in regularly will save them from being damaged, and slow down their degradation from the elements. Specifically, dirty is a big deal on them. so much so that there are companies that actually clean them like cleaning windows.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,090 Posts
Makes good sense. This is the first ”hobby” I’ve gotten into that the wife is Uber supportive of. What has happened to me?!?!?!

Once I update my cable wiring, I’ll make some brackets to support the panels so I can stand them in the yard and change their angle to follow the sun. I have a few ideas already And ways to somewhat anchor them to the ground to protect from light wind.

·
Registered
13,622 Posts
The 35 mile wrapper cobra on BAT? Sold for 94k. Didn't quite break 100k but got darn close.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
36,966 Posts
Good chance of rain this weekend - perhaps I’ll get it pulled back out. On the other hand, I got fitment of the upper torque mount finalized. Bit more trimming and some black paint.

·
Registered
13,622 Posts
Good luck on the surgery, make sure they video you coming back out of it. Giggles.

What starter problem, Micheal? Must have missed something.

·
Registered
36,966 Posts
Turns out my newer (early 80's) gear reduction mini-starter won't clear some webbing on my older (mid 70's) block. Another way to say - there's a slight difference between the block that came out of my car and the one that went in. The newer block that came out has smaller webbing in the area behind the starter. It was done to allow the gear reduction starter to fit. The older block I dropped in has larger webbing that the gear reduction starter won't clear. I thought I could solve it by switching to an older/larger non-gear reduction starter. So John and I went ahead and decided to put the engine in last Sat. and I ordered an older style starter from O'Reillys. Was going to install with the engine in the car. It got here yesterday and I learned a bit more about these engines. The difference between the older and newer set ups affects the block, the backing plate, the bell housing and the starter. I can't use the large starter I bought without sourcing a different backing plate and bell housing. The bolt spacing is different and the part that sticks into the bell (the gear support) is also larger.

So, engine has to come back out and I'll grind the clearance I need into the block. That's what everyone's been encouraging me to do but I've resisted because you actually end up with a hole in the casting. Not through to the crankcase -- just in this "ear" that sticks out to catch one of the bell bolts.

34241 - 34260 of 34378 Posts