Ford Mustang Forums banner
32821 - 32840 of 32930 Posts

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
5,666 Posts
I’ve always said one needs to compare gas versus electric from cradle to grave OR mining cost to disposal cost. Does one recycle Li ion batteries even at all?

Great to have that number Michael if 70% more carbon up front for e-vehicles.

·
Registered
36,475 Posts
Well, this thing just keeps getting better 'n better. A little detail needed for a full appreciation of what I discovered tonight. The 2T engine that powered millions of these old rwd Corollas was a 1588cc engine -- 70mm stroke, 85mm bore. It came in a hemi-head pushrod version and a hemi-head DOHC version in a few high performance models (non U.S. markets). In 1980, struggling with emissions rules like everyone else, they stroked it and put a 78mm crank in the engine creating the 3T - about 1760cc - to try and get back some power lost to emissions controls. In Japan, that version also got the DOHC and a turbo. My car was built originally in '73 with the 1588cc pushrod engine - 2TC. But the guy that resto-modded it put the bigger 1760cc pushrod engine in it - 3TC.

The guy that sold me my DOHC engine recently sold it as a 2TG -- that's a 1588cc with the Yamaha DOHC head. My plan was to put that DOHC head on my 3T 1760cc block. As I dug into more detail on my head with it off the engine, I discovered what I actually had was a 2T-GEU -- the fuel injected version of the Japan-market engine from about '78-'80. This version of the engine has the largest valves, largest ports and dual valve springs. So once I swap the DOHC head onto my 3T block, I figure I'll have my current pushrod hemi-head/camshaft/rockershafts to sell, along with the 1588cc short block from the 2TG engine to sell. I was trying to get a sense for what compression ratio the 2TG short block has so I could let potential buyers know that. Rotated #1 up to TDC and took a few detailed pictures of the piston tops. Posted them in the 2TG facebook user group and asked the gurus there "what do you think the CR is on this 2T-GEU"?

A guy I met from Finland who rallies these things replied -- "Michael, the edges of the valve reliefs are too sharp for that to be a cast OEM piston. Looks to me like it's an aftermarket forged piston with fly cut pistons." That got me curious. So I grabbed my calipers and headed to the back garage. Put #2/3 at BDC and measure down to the piston top. 77.95mm.....which is pretty damned close to 78mm. Further - I look inside the block -- there are 4 clearanced areas on the driver's side to allow the rod ends to clear the block -- a necessary mod when putting the bigger 3T crank in the 2T block. So, confirmed, the long stroke 3T crank has already been put in the block of the DOHC engine I bought!

Realizing the guru on FB thinks the pistons have been changed -- I take the calipers and measure the cylinder bore. 88.93mm -- 89mm. This is the max overbore these engines will take. 89mm bore x 78mm stroke = 1940cc!!!! This IS the dream version of one of these vintage DOHC engines that I would have built if I'd been building one from scratch -- and it's already done for me. The seller didn't know what he had -- and I didn't either until just tonight!

But wait (Ginzu knife commercial) - there's more! I get to looking more closely at the engine internals. 3 of the 4 pistons have had material removed from the underside. And all 4 rods have ground areas on the little AND big ends. The rotating assembly has been balanced!

So - all I have to do is clean up, make cosmetically nice, put it back together. Then put my intake/exhaust/distributor/accessories on it and swap the motor into the car. Then I can sell my current 3TC long block as a unit. Don't even have to take the head off.

Man am I pumped tonight -- Santa Claus came early at the Mikee household. An aside - I called the guy who sold it to me tonight to see if he knew anything about the history or the guy he bought it from. He didn't -- an intermediary sold him the engine and told him the story about '....the guy who had it ran one race in NASCAR's MiniStock class - he wiped the field but they told him not to bring it back'. Now we know more about just how much he was cheating -- 1940cc engine that was supposed to be 1588cc AND the DOHC head. He just cracked up when I told him what I discovered tonight. He's like "I wish I'd pulled the head!"....instead of $1500 -- likely $3-$4K. But he thought it was 1588 and I thought it was 1588. Go figure.

Long story short -- this is like thinking you're buying a 5.0L motor with a nice set of AFR heads on it and discovering when you take it apart that it's actually a 347!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Truth in advertising. And let’s not even talk about winter operation and the bigger/heavier/more powerful cars that most everyone produces. Electric Cars Not As Eco As Policymakers Claim, Says Executive Who Developed Nissan LEAF
Partial truth. If you read the Volvo papers that's the source of their numbers the 146,000Km is if charging with electricity from natural gas/oil/coal. If you're charging with renewable/non carbon electricity the break even for carbon footprint is 47,000Km. So depending on where you live and how you get your electricity makes a big difference.

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
Haha, that’s awesome! I knew that motor was way too clean not to have been apart at some point and not too many miles ago. I’m sure you did too. Now you can tell people you have a stroked hemi.

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
The 2.3L ford guys know about those stout four cylinders - my uncles and cousin ran those motors for years in dirt track. Over 9000rpm and aftermarket head, made serious power. Enough to carry the RIGHT front tire half way down straightaways - they made the motors reverse rotation for the circle track work.

Four cylinder blocks have so much block around them, they are very durable.

·
Registered
36,475 Posts
That SOHC 2.3 is particularly stout. If I remember correctly it has SIX head bolts around each cylinder as opposed to the normal 4. You get incredible clamping force and can throw insane amounts of boost at them without lifting the head.

Reactions: 93Cobra#2771

·
Registered
36,475 Posts
This was the ultimate incarnation of the little engine I'm playing with - the 3T-GTE. 1760CC, EFI, twin plug, twin cam, turbocharged. Of course, never imported into the U.S.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Mode of transport Automotive exterior

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
Dual plug too. Very cool. Intercooled as well?

·
Registered
36,475 Posts
I’ve no idea Richard. I’d give it 50/50….in the early/mid 80’s there were many that weren’t intercooled.

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
SVO was. Want to say the co quest/starion we’re. Too lazy to look up. Lol

·
Registered
36,475 Posts
Most started as non-intercooled turbo motors (Volvo and Saab included) in late 70’s early 80’s and then intercoolers began to be added in mid 80’s. That’s the point I was trying to make.

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
True.
And believe it or not, I’m not as illiterate as my typing suggests. Fat thumbs and apparently my less than ideal closeup vision, a healthy dose of auto correct, and finally a lack of proof reading makes me look like a third grader lol.

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
True.
And believe it or not, I’m not as illiterate as my typing suggests. Fat thumbs and apparently my less than ideal closeup vision, a healthy dose of auto correct, and finally a lack of proof reading makes me look like a third grader lol.
You're good. You just need to capitalize a lot more, YOU KNOW?

• Haha
Reactions: 93Cobra#2771

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
SVO was. Want to say the co quest/starion we’re. Too lazy to look up. Lol
I've got a turbo from a Conquest or Talon someplace, and an intercooler from a Super Coupe I think. I was collecting parts to put turbo's on a 302, back when the Eagle Talon was the hot street car of the day. I had a ride in one that went 11's in the quarter, just a plain looking compact car. I bought the one spare turbo he had, what he had begun with. Things change, now parts like that just fill my storage shed.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
36,475 Posts
Along with the Thunderbird turbo coupes - the first were 150HP with no intercooler. As fate would have it, on the Motor Trend channel last night Angelo and Lucky took an '86 turbo coupe (non-SVO 2.3 SOHC, turbo, no intercooler) - and completely updated it --- mild cam replacement, ported intake, bigger throttle body, custom turbo header, Garrett water cooled contemporary turbo, full exhaust replacement, big intercooler, a new engine management system (Maybe Esslinger?) with distributor delete and separate coils per plug. After tune, at only 15 psig, put down 280 at the wheels. Pretty impressive. "Hot Rod Garage" Modern Turbo Tech! Updating and Upgrading a 1986 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe! (TV Episode 2019) - IMDb

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
I've always loved those turbo coupe cars. The pinnacle being the 88 model, in my opinion. The styling, the wheels, the turbo, manual trans, interior was nice, etc etc.

Oh and pretty much everything on them was fox spec, so you had a ton of parts to upgrade with. Friend of mine actually pulled the 16" TC wheels and put them on his 84GT. It looked crazy good.

And when typing on my phone, for some reason it won't automatically capitalize the next sentence if I do a double return. Very annoying. I blame the corral interface. I'm not using the mobile version on my phone either, as it bites.

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
You're good. You just need to capitalize a lot more, YOU KNOW?
You don't want to know how many typos I found in that last post before publishing it. LOL

32821 - 32840 of 32930 Posts