Ford Mustang Forums banner
32221 - 32240 of 32456 Posts

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
With enough time and money, anything is possible.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
How tall is the 2.3 ecoboost engine? If that could fit, that would be tons of fun, and frugal too.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
The old stuff is cool - but the contemporary stuff has so much more potential. K20 or K24 Honda set ups the current rage into, well, everything. 200HP or so stock and with minimal work - 260-280 at the wheels naturally aspirated; with turbo - 400-500HP not difficult at all. Local guy has a first gen MR2 with a K24/transaxle swap - from the front of the Honda to the back of the MR2. Turbo, ARP fasteners on bottom end; E85 - makes 490rwhp at 8800 rpm. Sounds otherworldly.....

Reactions: 93Cobra#2771

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
The height on most of the fwd stuff can usually be accommodated - although, the Metro is small. The Ecoboost, Duratec boosted Mazda motors, the GM Ecotecs, the Honda K motors -- all of them have strokes in the 93mm-102mm range which makes them TALL - closing in on a 4.0" stroke. GM's new 2.7L turbo 4 truck motor is a torque monster - for 2022 - 420 lb-ft between 1700-4000 rpm. Not a typo.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
I decided to keep it old school in the Corolla and found/bought this locally (Gastonia) last night. Pick it up in a week or two - have to make garage room.
Combat vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
So under-hood will go from this
Car Vehicle Hood Light Motor vehicle

To something like this
Motor vehicle Automotive battery Car Vehicle Auto part

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
The old stuff is cool - but the contemporary stuff has so much more potential. K20 or K24 Honda set ups the current rage into, well, everything. 200HP or so stock and with minimal work - 260-280 at the wheels naturally aspirated; with turbo - 400-500HP not difficult at all. Local guy has a first gen MR2 with a K24/transaxle swap - from the front of the Honda to the back of the MR2. Turbo, ARP fasteners on bottom end; E85 - makes 490rwhp at 8800 rpm. Sounds otherworldly.....
A last generation MR2 is one of my favorite cars. Not sure I'd fit in it though. I like them a lot. I see huge potential in them.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
Nice Bob! I’ve still got that Alcon sticker to make, it has some unique elements to the font that are going to be challenging but it can be done.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
I watched that vid this morning Bob - they looked great! Slightly taller, but should clear.

Richard - non-US market 2TG - dohc 1.6L. But the block is the same as my 1.8L - so the topend will go on my bottom end.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
I watched that vid this morning Bob - they looked great! Slightly taller, but should clear.

Richard - non-US market 2TG - dohc 1.6L. But the block is the same as my 1.8L - so the topend will go on my bottom end.
Current motor is sohc, right? What kind of gains are you expecting?

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
5,548 Posts
You guys remember this?

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
Yes, it’s awesome. That’s the dream for
The Geo. Lol.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
Current motor is pushrod hemi Richard. The DOHC has bigger/better ports because there's no pushrod in the way. At the time the 1.6L pushrod motor was rated at 96HP, the DOHC was rated at 118HP, 142 lb-ft. But with a little clean up, and better induction/exhaust - ah, who knows. These also came OEM with EFI and turbo. Those at 1.8L - 140/160/180HP.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
Turns out my motor is a 2T-GEU. Originally came in, likely, a high end Corolla from Japan -- 1978-1985. It was originally equipped with port injection, EFI. 9.0:1 CR, hardened valve seats and larger ports/valves than the earlier engines as Toyota was trying to return a bit of performance that had been lost trying to achieve ever-changing emissions targets. Should be fun!

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
Nice! I had a friend with Corolla in that time frame. Want to say it was an 83. It was the high end Corolla, I think the trim level was a GTS? He put over 300k miles on that car. Lol.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
The GTS was the last "performance" rwd version of the Corolla here in the States - built from '85-'87 on what was the AE86 platform. It had the then-new 1.6L 4AG 4 cylinder, DOHC 4-valve engine -- same engine that came in the back of the MR2 from 85-89. Anything rwd from 80-84 would have had the 3TC in it - same engine that's in mine now. The GTS's are starting to command some serious money these days.

32221 - 32240 of 32456 Posts