Ford Mustang Forums banner
32161 - 32180 of 32513 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Email the CEO of 3M too…

I thought the Stangs came with 3” - but ya’ll are the experts. I think the aftermarket AL units are usually 3.5”.
Pretty sure this is right. 3" stock steel and 3.5" aluminum FMS unit.

Agreed on the use of a jack. It is to lift. Stands hold. And I always have the jack or a tire under the car. The jack is usually under the pumpkin or bell housing.

·
Registered
36,299 Posts
Decided before pulling the DS out tonight I'd set up the dial indicator and get some runout readings. At the back with the dial on the 11/16" pinion spacer I installed to "lengthen" the driveshaft, I got .006". At the middle of the driveshaft I got .008". Seems most are looking for a max runout of .005"-.010", so far so good. Then I set it up all the way at the front, right behind the weld for the u-joint loops. .016" - which likely means Houston we have a problem. It makes sense -- I know it sounds odd, but it feels like it's right under the seats -- and this part of the driveshaft sits right under the e-brake handle. Not gonna mess with this one anymore -- time for a new DS.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Vehicle Tire

Reactions: 93Cobra#2771

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
5,571 Posts
Jeep update-

I just got a call and the shop pulled the rear end to get enough access. They got the broken part out and believe the hole might not have been drilled/tapped deep enough originally. They could tell I tightened it (lol) but clearly the bracket wasn’t anchored down on that corner/ inspite of me torquing it and believing it to be so.

They drilled/ tapped the hole and at my request installed studs instead :) with lock tite. I should never have this problem again. I’ll double check nut torque in a few days to make sure all is snug.

Also at my request they thickened the bottom bracket piece from 0.200” to 0.250” and put in a couple more gussets. They also said the bracket would NOT have failed if bolt wasn’t first a problem.

I’ll have a pic up this evening or so to show the improvement.

·
Registered
36,299 Posts

·
Registered
13,070 Posts
The article mentions the XFI model. Those were fairly rare and were a "factory fuel sipper". LOL. They had a different engine calibration (computer), a cam that enhanced low rpm torque, and the trans had a taller gear in fifth to get those rpm down (2500rpm at 50mph stock). I don't think they went as far as the Hondas with their "lean burn" cars in that same period that used an actual Wideband sensor to really lean the a/f out during low load conditions, though.

I want to say they also came with the 12" wheels to make the car even lighter than it's 1800# normal weight. A "hot" swap is to put an xfi cam in a non xdi car. Trans swap was also hot.

My car is rated at 40ish mpg, and I can routinely get 50mpg out of it. If the XFI gets 50mpg already, I imagine I could improve upon that rating as well, likely close to the 60mpg range.

Always wanted an XFI cam, as the car is an absolutely slug out of the hole. And in the midrange. And in the top end. I routinely have to turn the AC off if I'm on a hill and have to start off (5 speed).

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
13,070 Posts
Yes, it's a pretty interesting background on the car. My car (96) model, is fully badged as "Geo". However, the owners manual shows "Geo Metro by Chevrolet". That's the only sign of Chevy, nothing on the car is badged Chevy.

Had a friend in high school with the Suzuki Sprint version of the Metro. I want to say maybe an 87 model. It was the turbo three cylinder car and was a hoot to ride in. It had stiffer suspension/sway bars, etc. It was surprisingly quick for what it was. 1800 pounds and I think 88hp range.

Like driving a roller skate is pretty accurate. LOL

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
36,299 Posts
Yup - I was a front wheel drive VW fan as a very young man. The early Rabbits weren’t far from that Richard. Around 1900-2000 lbs and about 80hp net rating. With suspension, wheels and tires - a blast.

Reactions: 93Cobra#2771

·
Registered
36,299 Posts
It was pretty interesting to watch them hauling ass around Road Atlanta with the inside rear tire about 6” off the ground in every turn - all you heard was 155SR-13 tires howling in protest. SCCA Showroom Stock C - slowest class on the track.

·
Registered
36,299 Posts
My comment earlier about all men marrying up had nothing to do with appearance. More about this - women are complex - emotionally and intellectually. Men? As one comedian put it - ‘Ask their basic needs and you get - “naked woman and food” - and the food is optional.’

·
Registered
36,299 Posts
Broke down and ordered a custom 3" x .125" wall aluminum driveshaft from Shaftmasters today. Shoulda done it long ago. It'll sit 1/8" closer to the tunnel than my 2.75" does -- so I'll raise the ride height of the car by 1/8". Voila.

·
Registered
13,070 Posts
Broke down and ordered a custom 3" x .125" wall aluminum driveshaft from Shaftmasters today. Shoulda done it long ago. It'll sit 1/8" closer to the tunnel than my 2.75" does -- so I'll raise the ride height of the car by 1/8". Voila.
Hopefully that solves the problem. You think the new one will hit with only 1/8” difference? Of course, 1/8” ride height change is pretty much nothing.

·
Registered
36,299 Posts
The current one has never hit. I’d like to give myself the best shot at not bending the $600 one. I lowered the car 1/4” for the Eurofestival a few years back. Maybe put it back up 1/4”.

32161 - 32180 of 32513 Posts