Ford Mustang Forums banner

28901 - 28920 of 28957 Posts

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Here’s what I used tonight. I bought this back in July as it looked SO helpful. Little did I know.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
That looks very promising. You might as well put the top end back on it, it looks like the rest of it got through the chamber and into the header. If it starts okay then watch that header pipe and the collector closely, down to the cat. If you perceive any overheating, shut it down quickly. Unless the paper stops flow in the exhaust completely, it should burn up fast.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I am cat-less so I expect it’ll blow out the back end unless it gets caught in the X cross over.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Don

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Excellent, the cats would be the smallest holed object going out. The mufflers will have small holes but the paper will be spread out enough it cannot block airflow, so it will burn up there no matter what.

Put it back together, I'm sure you're fine now.

·
Registered
35,173 Posts
Working on the plastic that surrounds the steering column. An upper half and lower half that bolt together and should bolt to the column. Prev owner had the tach clamped to this plastic with a big stainless clamp, which had, of course, cracked various bits of the column cover. So, JBWeld gone wild to the rescue.

Step one - secure the tach without the clamp. It's a very lightweight, plastic housing tach. So I reinforced the bottom of the cover, and bolted the tach mount to it.

There were two pedestals inside -- two screws came through them from the bottom to secure the bottom half of the cover to the column. Well, one pedestal was missing it's top (screw head had nothing to hold to), and the other was split half in two. So I epoxied some nuts in there to rebuild the pedestals. The hole in the nut is larger than the screw that goes through them into the the threaded holes in the column. Doesn't look pretty on the inside -- but it works! And outside looks stock.

Some foam padding to secure/quiet down the end near the dash.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Fire in the hole! :)

even though Michael is retired, he’s still in the “engineering” business, it seems.

Made a doc appt for a physical today. Found out I haven’t been to the doc since 2014. Whoopsie.

Actually considered a new patient since it’s been so long. Lol

guess I need to do a little better than that, getting old (47).

·
Registered
35,173 Posts
Don't worry Richard - you're about to enter the range where your body will take over for your mind when it comes to needing/seeking medical attention. ;) Epoxy - the new duct tape.

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
LOL

In other news, I’m a college student again. Decided to go back and get my bachelors degree. I need 11 classes to get my BA in business management with emphasis in Marketing.

My wife, through her job at Tennessee Wesleyan, gets free tuition with over 200 other schools. Found one with 100% online classes and there you go.

I expect to get my degree in 1.5-2 years, give or take. Planning on a couple classes per trimester (first school I’ve been in that used trimesters).

Should help me advance at my current job. At what capacity, it’s hard to say. Double digit growth every year for last five years says it’s only going to allow for more opportunity.

My goal would be a marketing manager, or something along that line.

I’ve gotten a roughly 8% raise last two years in a row, so I’m doing something right I guess.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Woo HOO nice raises three years in a row! More than makes up for actual COL increases/ inflation. Keep it up!!

·
Registered
35,173 Posts
As part of doing the best I can setting up the carbs/tune, set about checking valve lash today. And my new dizzy showed up -- EXACTLY like the one in the car, same electrical plug and wiring - even the same color plug and wires! Car is a 73 Corolla powered by a motor out of an 82 Corolla (1.8L vs 1.6L that came stock). Owner told me he put in a later model 1.6 dizzy with electronic ignition. So I guessed 78 Corolla. I guessed right!

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
That’s an absolute win for sure.

·
Registered
35,173 Posts
Flat blade screw driver and a 12mm wrench to adjust. So simple, elegant. Set to .007" intake and .011" exhaust, both cold specs. They weren't far off at all. Got a new dizzy cap, rotor, valve cover gasket (including the spark plug seals -- because, it's a HEMI) and 4 Iridium Denso spark plugs -- $28.

·
Registered
35,173 Posts
Now - confused. Reading lots of stuff that says for cast iron block and aluminum head, subtract .006" for a cold engine. And, of course, check/set hot. That would put me at .002" intake and .006" exh cold. I also think that those guidelines are for a traditional small block/big block Ford/Chevy/Mopar where the blocks and heads are much bigger physically than this little engine. So the gap change would be bigger on those. I think I'm gonna set 'em at a tight .006" and .010" and then check 'em hot. Learning all kinds of good stuff!

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Close enough for government work! That's what dad always said. He worked for TVA for 35 years. :)

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Those headers look nice Michael are they ceramic coated also? Good guess I’m dizzy.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Very worthwhile investment imho. I think my coated headers are nearly 20 years old and still look pretty good, not like new but still good.

I’d love to learn what the coating is made of ceramic wise.

28901 - 28920 of 28957 Posts