Ford Mustang Forums banner

28881 - 28900 of 28957 Posts

·
Registered
35,173 Posts
Which one? Both! LOL...

Chris - messed up where it goes into the lower or where the nut goes on? Coarse probably means lower. Since threads are steel and lower is alum - check female threads, they’re probably messed up as well. May take a thread insert to fix.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Some intakes will have enough material below the carb thread holes to deepen the holes and use a longer stud. But using an insert is likely required.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Sounds like your car Michael will be running better than ever in no time.
Delivery on Sunday? How’d you manage that?

Luckily the stud came out no problem. The Edelbrock studs are coarse into the lower intake and finefor the upper end.

Napa had some similar but coarse on both ends. So I am using one of those instead. And tonight one more got messed up. Back to the parts store tomorrow.

Almost ready to start up again.

Thankfully I used plenty of anti seize here.

·
Registered
35,173 Posts
I think he's EFI Don, not carb.

Chris -- I signed up for Rock Auto economy shipping -- $7, and they said Sunday but "date may be updated when FedEx receives the package. I'm doubtful I get it tomorrow. I think they have a built-in program algorithm that looks at zip codes and estimates days. But I have a feeling FedEx won't "get" the package until Monday.

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
I read some stuff on Sunday deliveries a while back. Being driven by amazon and such. Mainly big cities. Also heard there is mail service happening on sundays in some large cities as well.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Well Charlotte is a big city compared to Knoxville isn’t it? Drone deliveries seven days a week would be interesting.

Yesh Don I am EFI but your point likely still is relevant. Those holes could go deeper on mine as well.

·
Registered
35,173 Posts
USPS doing Sunday work as well for a while now....notwithstanding the original note about Sunday, I don't think it's showing until sometime next week.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I saw the picture of the stud and it looked like a carb stud. I've always been amazed that people lift an engine with those studs, using a plate made for them. I never did that, I use the head end bolt holes.

Shipping has been driven by the USPS for a long time, and the Sunday Fedex thing, plus Saturdays, is new. The PO began Sunday delivery here a few years ago, but the huge failures of UPS and Fedex a couple years ago changed their businesses.

They had countless failures to deliver parcels right at Christmas a couple years back, they were not equipped or manned to handle the volume increase that year. I had a parcel the myself that UPS could not find when I went there to pick it up, and that was about the 20th of Dec. I went back two days later and they found it.

So this year it seems common to see UPS and Fedex trucks on the roads both on Saturday and Sunday. I received something last Sunday by Fedex, just a normal ground shipped item.

They had to hire more people etc, no doubt, for the holidays. But it looks like they are also adopting the limited deliver on weekends like the PO began in bigger cities. We do all Sundays in Sevierville now, but not in Pigeon Forge.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Wow! GREENEVILLE is way behind the times it seems.

I think the coupe is all buttoned up now.... soon the restart attempt.... I always get nervous here at new start ups.

I suppose it was related to those two cranks that were wiped out within my first 500 miles of my 331ci motor. That fiasco lead to Noes Performance taking over and my displacement being upped to 333ci lol.

Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Well I just did what I’d thought I’d not do. Got distracted and sucked a blue paper shop towel down the lower intake.
Using a scope in spark plug hole to see if I can find it.
Upper intake off and I only left a bit in there. Most isn’t in intake and isn’t on back of valve.

I was nervous about dropping a stud down the intake so I used a blue paper towel to make sure nothing dropped. Then forgot to remove towel.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Yep can see part of it here.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I cranked it once and it didn’t fire and it didn’t sound good. Lol. Then I cranked again a second time for about 2-3 sec.

So.... how to get it out? Does intake need to come off? Any ideas?

How will I know I have messed anything up/ bent valves? Compression test I suppose or will I have a good idea upon running?

I suppose I can take off valve cover and rotate CW or CCW till intake valve is open and try to get it out?

Not sure what can reach and grab this- maybe a three prong grabby tool I think I’ve seen at Harbor Freight. I used to have one. Flexible and bendy.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Try to keep track of how much of the paper towel is still not retrieved. A tiny bit won't hurt much, but a chunk could hang on a valve and might keep the valve open long enough to hurt the seat if it ran that way for long. Paper would burn up in the exhaust if it got that far, but accumulating on the valves is the issue I think.

Try to use a scope and the long flexible three pronged tool. If that can be guided to the places where the paper stopped, and can grab it, the intake can stay on. If that seems unlikely, then the intake is the next step.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Yeah that pic is poor. It seems to be caught on the valve half in half out. I have a better wifi camera that I’ll try to take pics with tomorrow now.

I am seriously kicking myself here. Knucklehead.... we were just talking about NOT doing that!! I was installing new upper to lower intake studs and I had one lubed up with ARP assembly anti seize lube and I didn’t want to drop it down the intake..... so I used one shop towel. Can’t believe I forgot to pull it out.

Not sure how much made it out of the head. A small corner of the paper towel didn’t get sucked down but 90% did it seems. I’ll see if I can rotate the engine by hand to open the valve and see if I can grab what remains out.

Just hoping and praying I didn’t do any valve damage. Typical paper shop towel material fwiw.

·
Registered
35,173 Posts
LOL - so, still don't know what I'm looking at. If you put the camera in through the spark plug hole, is that picture from inside the cylinder? If so - you can forget about trying to pull that out with a tool of any kind. On the other hand, if you pulled the upper off and put the camera into the port - you might be able to get a grappler of some kind in there to remove remnants. Lost fasteners/washers, stripped threads, paper towels left in the engine - we might have to have you re-certified Chris! LOL -- we've all done it brother....hang in there.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Thanks for the support.... :)

Yeah that pic is looking down thru the lower intake at back of the valve.

At first I checked the spark plug hole and could see only piston with nothing down there. Then I pulled the upper off again and looked down and saw nothing at first. Then I rotated the engine slowly and saw the paper towel. It must have been hung up behind the valve in the head. Now I see part of it and it seems stuck on the valve seat.

Hopefully it’s done no damage as it’s not a rag but paper towel. Maybe some is even down in the header?

I don’t know why it didn’t fire up at all. It made me wonder at first if I was 180deg out in my dizzy, hence the repeat start trial with the key.

I'd further forgotten to hook up the vacuum lines at the upper intake but that shouldn’t have prevented it from firing up. I dunno maybe a paper towel in one cylinder does act like this? I just feel I must have done something else wrong. I could hear the fuel pump energize and I powered it up three or four times to be sure I had pressure in the lines. If there was another problem it would have to be the spark.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Pics from spark plug hole. I can’t see anything down inside. Using a 45deg angle mirror to look up. Can’t see whole of both valves but looks ok so far...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I think it’s all gone out the exhaust. I can’t see the entire underside of valves but nothing I see so far suggests damage.

What do you guys think? Bolt her back together and fire her up?

28881 - 28900 of 28957 Posts