Ford Mustang Forums banner
2441 - 2460 of 35222 Posts

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
There were 2 guys from the forum there - Jeff in a 97 (I think?) Cobra, and Tony in the white GT. There was also a Rousch (how do you spell it?) -- some model number I don't remember - 380 maybe? -- Mustang running as well. What I noticed most about the Rousch was how it punished it's front tires - mega understeer, unless of course you tip into the throttle. Watching as a spectator, Tony's mostly stock GT, and Jeff's Cobra seemed better balanced than the Rousch did - even if they did have a bit more body roll. I was there too, but I rode the bike out.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I was there. I didnt see you Michael, but I saw Tony. I'm pretty sure the Roush was a 380. The white Cobra sounded good. I though with the rain there would have been more spinouts.

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
I was on the motorcycle Chad - I only hung around for about 45 minutes after they started running.

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
No - Jeff's was an older cobra - 4 valve normally aspirated. Black. I know there was more than one Cobra in the lot; didn't stay long enough to see which ones were running other than Jeff's.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The black one ran in the first heat while the white ran in the last heat. I was around the trailer/running cars during the first heat.

One of the officals tried to catch a motorcycle spinning the tires when the event was over. I was looking for the Volvo next time I will look for both.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Does any body have any 16 inch 5 lug wheels off a mustang for sale locally?

Chad

·
Registered
37,232 Posts
I left about 12:45 without any tire spinning. It's all I can do to stay up on 2 wheels - don't need any tire spinning to make it more complex!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I want all four. I want to take the 14 inchers off the maverick. I like the Bullet wheels but have a feeling I wont want to pay that much for them. For the most part curb rash/finnish doesnt matter aslong as they are not bent.

Thanks
Chad

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Well guys,
Got my chrome rad. hoses, 180 tstat, stock shroud and fan installed over the weekend. Short list of notable events includes:

• 3 minutes into the job, slit the end of my left index finger really nice by removing the radiator cap (FMS alum radiator w/plastic tanks evidently has a sharp edge somewhere directly beneath the rad. cap). Had just removed the cap and I say to myself "what's that red fluid and where's it coming from?". Then I look at the end of my bloody finger and figure it out real quick.

• Chrome hoses were a bear to install since my non-stock radiator is about 1" thicker than stock. Had to keep shortening the hoses a little at a time until I got them close to the right length, what a PITA.

• Took one chunk out of my left thumb, don't know where it when to...

• Had the fan most of the way installed, thought "why are these dang bolts so long", then realized I forgot to install the pulley, DOH!

• Cracked myself in the cheek with my own fist when reinstalling my drive belt - cranking the tensioner up with my 18" crowbar, thinking to myself, "I think I got a pretty good grip on the pulley, if I didn't that could be bad" - THUD - it slipped out. Luckily I had the pointy curved end facing away from my face and my knuckle was the only thing that made contact with my face.

• Got to use my new Craftsman ratchet end/open end wrenches - made it VERY nice when doing the thermostat housing bolts and the fan to waterpump bolts, as a ratchet/socket combo will not fit, and the stat housing is a PITA as you all know.

In other words, just a typical Saturday spent wrenching on the car. :D

Quick question:
How far out does the stock fan stick out from the shroud on a stock setup? I'll probably end up spacing mine back so it will be in it's stock position, right now it is about 3/4 inside the shroud.

For sale: Black Magic Electric fan, less than 1000 miles, origial box and instructions included.

Wanted: Chunk out of thumb, preferably left hand. :D

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,453 ·
ttbit said:
Damn good time for letting off!
I was happy yet disappointed at the same time if that's possible. It's the first time my car ran like it should, but now the transmission is definately my biggest problem. It looks like I've got the tune about right. I'm confident with a good transmission and some tires it will run a 7.90. Not too shabby for heavy convertible with a bunch of junk on the engine? :D

Scott? :D

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
5oh,
That's some good times. Out of curiosity, when lauching with your radials, are you bogging or spinning a little off the line? If you are bogging, then that's prob. where your mph went to. Best launch is with a little bit of spin off the line, and hoping you don't blow them off when you hit second.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,455 ·
My mph went away because I was off the gas in second coasting through the lights. I'm happy with the 60' time. I think a 2.04 is pretty respectable for 411. Especially in an AOD equipped convertible with a stock convertor. My car isn't a light weight and I didn't drag a bunch of junk out of it when I got to the track either. Still had my spare, jack, and speaker box in the trunk. I pulled up, let the car cool off a little, put the top up and made my passes. Stopped, picked up my wife, put the top down and headed for Gatlinburg. :D

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Nobody but Michael even realized my car was at the autocross. Sorry I didn't hang out more Michael, but as you know I was in the first run group. I'm pretty happy, my best run was 39.41 in raw time #55 out of 88 people. Not too bad for a stock 96 Cobra on street tires to the wear bars and no rear sway bar. My goal was to get under 40 seconds and I did that.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
From the SCMC site regarding the show at Ted Russell October 4

So far, these are the confirmed sponsors for the event:

Ted Russell Ford: trophies and lunch
Ford SVT: SVT products including tees, caps, etc...
MAC Products: Tees and caps
Need For Speed: ?
Hi Performance Mustang: Billet aluminum accessories
Downs Ford: Cobra key chain and caps.
Air Cooled Classics: Dyno Certificates

These are unconfirmed but will probably be donating:

Summit Racing
Jegs Racing
Laurel Mountain Mustang
MV Performance
Mustangs Unlimited

2441 - 2460 of 35222 Posts