Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 3859 Posts

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Hey All!

Broncobudda Brian suggested I get on this thread. I am new to the Greeneville area (btwn Kville and Bristol) off I-81.

I am interested in getting with some local mustang groups and have my '93 coupe up and running. K-ville is a little far to drive for an every weekend thing, but once a month or so would likely float with my better half.

Also, are there any groups getting together over here in Greeneville or Morristown?

Definitely missing hanging out with some stang guys. Count me in for track visits at Bristol too.

God bless!
Chris

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Guys- I am not familar with the area to know where Clinton HWY is. I'd like to know though.

Just got a second driveway poured yesterday for the downstairs garage and I'll likely be installing a new garage door opener. Finally! Now I have 2+ car upstairs garage space with 1800sg ft downstairs. And, 10ft ceilings plenty for pulling engines!! Yahooo!!

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Richard:

No I didn't completely figure out the pinging between shifts. I think the tranny just needs to be replaced. Would like a manual Lentech AOD. We'll see. For now I use my PMS to majorly dial back my timing. Car definitely needs some work. I do need to double check my TDC and distributor position to make sure I'm not off a tooth...

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Michael:

What have you experienced with your PMS? When I was using mine to try to customize my timing via Rick Anderson's advice, I found that on a dyno my power was erratic. Changing back to stock improved it. Now I am not sure how to use it best, but am trying to pull out timing at lower rpm/higher load conditions.

I would like a custom chip eventually to do this right. The PMS is a nice window tool I call it to look into the engine and see how things are running.

What are your experiences?

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
As far as I could tell when I interviewed at the autolite plant in OH, the autolites and motorcraft are actually the same plug. Definitely made in the same plant and are very nearly identical if nothing closer.

I swear by autolites- cheap, *consistent* and reliable.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Michael:

Bob's idea of the spring allowing in fresh air is possible depending upon how the spring is set up I think. You could set it up to be open all the time until pressure inside the tank closed it. Makes sense to me. But it would not be a faulty cap..... read on.

If his solenoid which allows pressure to vent to the charcoal canister is shot, then vapor pressure would build in the tank, and eventually make it VERY difficult for the fuel pump to pull fuel out.

Paul- I'd try disconnecting your charcoal canister solenoid and see how she drives with it vented to atmosphere. Just make sure the fuel doesn't pour out. Shouldn't! :cool:

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Brian- what thread is that? I am interested in checking that one out too. Following your results closely as this engine in my "new to me" AOD coupe is pinging quite a bit as well where it didnt' in my old '86 GT with T-5 and manual computer....

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Yes ttbit, '93 was the start of hypereutectic pistons. Silicon content is higher which allows for less expansion in size as the temp rises. This allows tighter piston-wall clearances, less piston slap at cold start up and better oil control.

Hyper pistons are much maligned but actually are quite good provided the tuning is right. The are NOT forgiving at all where as forged pistons are more ductile and hence forgiving of error. Many hyper pistons are actually stronger than forged- just brittle.

How does this affect broncobudda? It doesn't as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
= = = = Side discussion on chip tuning = = = = =

If anyone is interested, on Sat July 24th there will be a dyno chip tuning by Superchips Tuning in Charleston, TN

Apparently it works by paying $300 up front for the chip with your
tune and when the Dyno day comes you will pay for the Dyno time - $75 for as many runs as it takes

Jerry Wroblewski or possibly Chris Johnson will be tuning the cars.

Call Rob Collins at 423-745-3982 if interested to set up appointment.

I am going to go if they have enough people signed up- they are looking for 7 minimum. Mine needs a serious tune as I can't seem to get it right to save my backside. Not sure how many are interested at this point except for myself.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Have you checked your EGR solenoid? I don't recall from your past posts Brian. I just replaced my entire EGR system to finally get rid of that 33.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Brian- sorry, I took so long to get back with you. Yes, the EGR solenoid that controls vacuum timing to the EGR valve. Sounds like you'vee been into that option already.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
I am running a nearly identical combination to broncobudda and dont' have any of his driveability issues. Same size injectors, heads, and similar FTI cam most likely. I've been running 30# injectors for years, even with GT40 iron heads and B303 cam (so I could be more sure about running enough fuel for dry NOS system).

Works great for me personally, FWIW.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Sorry Brian, I sure didn't mean to make it sound the way it seems .... 8-/

Just trying to keep the focus where it needs to be.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Fwiw, when my TFI died the ignition was not happening at all. Would died when the TFI got hot. Either let it cool down for 15 min and it would run or, pour 1 gal of water on it to cool it down quickly and it would drive.

I agree with Rednels, don't spend any more money on that. I may even have a spare around you can try if you are really leaning that way.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Guys:

My MAF is a Pro-M/ Best 75mm unit matched for the 30# injectors. I have not messed with the computer programming at all to match the voltage curve they sent to me. I should probably try to dig it up to make sure I haven't lost it already.

The injectors I bought used 4 years ago and have been using with this meter ever since.

Brian- when is a good time to try to get together? Tonight's not good as I have the truck with me and have to pick some stuff up after work. Could try to meet some night after work or over the weekend, let me know and I'll see how I can work it out with my better half and dinner plans. Maybe we have you over for dinner to do it right?

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,219 Posts
Brian- Glad to help. Have a good weekend and see you on Tuesday night.

Michael- sounds like those headers would be perfect for a DIY twin turbo project.... Hmmmm.... :cool:

1 - 20 of 3859 Posts