Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1408 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

Of course, John is willing to build me a complete 351C 2v version complete with an aluminum intake that will allow a 4bl carb on it for free. I just have to supply the block, valvetrain and cover any machining costs. He's got completely redone 2v heads just waiting.

Doesn't look bad for $500.
What would the Cleveland be for, the old Bronco? I need to finish mine and my 73 Ranchero. I have parts for both a 351C(2V or 4V), and a 400. I planned it all almost 20 years ago, too long. I'll eventually build them and sell them after breaking them in. The 400 will get a 351 Torker intake and 4V closed chambered heads. I started some of it for a 70 Mustang that was too far gone back then.

The heater core should be a pain, but the hoses and restrictor are no biggie, stick the restrictor in the core hose inlet, or either. Regards,

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Brian, with your hoses just pull the restrictor out of your old hose and slip it into the new hose. It's a piece of steel about 3/8" thick, it was in my 86 Crown Vic.
I have a friend with two Ford trucks from the 70's, one with a 351C 2V, and one with a 460, 4-speed and Dana 60. They're good work trucks and simple enough to maintain forever.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Ah, you might just see if Ted Russell has the restrictor in stock. Call Mike Yount(at the truck store on Peter's road, I need to go say hello if he's still there).

My friend hasn't used those two trucks in a long time, I've tried to hint that he should sell one when the subject comes up. They have been good trucks for him for basic hauling to the dump, for the snow we don't get any more, and to go to junk yards. He has a 92 Crown Vic front frame/engine/trans in the late 70's truck. It hasn't been used since then(it's full), and he wanted to install that whole front chassis in the other truck. He hates the front I-beam suspension, it wanders too much. The 460 had some kind of issue a couple of years ago, I have forgotten but it may be a pushrod bent. He had wanted to keep the 460/trans and Dana 60, and I've suggested that he sell it complete and start with a truck he likes more. Time passes,

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I just don't want to take away my heating efficiency. Perhaps its why, but even just the couple days I drove it, the heat, all the way on hot would run you out of the car.
The restrictor was new in the 80's I believe(Michael?), it wouldn't be needed up North, but we don't need too much heat here most of the time.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Okay, that in my 86 Crown Vic was just the first which I had ever seen. I don't know that any of my Mark VII's had one, my 87 Crown Vic did. I know that my 91, 93 Explorer, 98 Mountaineer and 99 Explorer haven't got any restrictors in them. I don't know what to say, it hasn't come up very often, you could likely do fine without it.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
The roads were great at 6:00 this morning, and the drama was over when I got back on the road after 11:30 AM.

Brian, where are you coming from or to, on Chapman Hwy? I'm south here and go to Sevierville every day. I'd like to shoot or strangle the weather forecasters, idiots. With no prediction of the early morning precipitation, no one thought to need snow tires, or the salt trucks.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
For gas get a BP Visa card, they pay you 5% on BP purchases, which is close to 15 cents off per gallon.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Ah, near the bank and farmer's market at the light. It was too warm last night to freeze anything, much better than yesterday.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Wow, I'd like to see those "...tire busting spike strips placed in metal that are spring loaded..." I hope things do improve for you. Regards,

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Michael, did running resonators inline with your exhaust make yours quieter? I have to get the rear of my X pipe redone this week and was considering adding a resonator or bullet type muffler on each side to drop a few dB. My car is averaging 3dB to loud on the meter for the place I have to run events at locally. I have a Magnaflow catback and it came with 3.5" tips which I never cared a whole lot for. Do you think 2.5 or 3" tips would reduce the sound?
Try to get the tail pipes out from under the body first, then smaller tips are quieter, and resonators are better than bullet mufflers. I did what I could for my 99 Explorer, I tried a new muffler I hadn't heard reports on, an SDT Edelbrock, plus a real resonator. Regards,

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I'll try that, tips already stick out back decent bit. If you look down the bumper you can read Magnaflow on top of them. If they tucked under anymore it would melt bumper. I don't like soot on the back of my car if I can avoid it. I was thinking the resonators might be better, but wasn't sure if bullets in front of the Magnaflows would be better
Gotcha Jeff, I was hoping you had the tips under the body, that's easy to fix. I used a resonator which was one of the highest, I gather that the $20 versions aren't much better than a glasspack. Mike at Quicko isn't cheap anymore, but they are the easiest to work with. Regards,

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Ah ha. I never actually did the math on that one. Funny how it gets remembered one way on so many motors like that. Go figure indeed! :confused:
FYI, a 351C and 351W are both 352 sized engines.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
3. I haven't come up with a 3rd option.
I have a 3rd option for you, but I don't know about the fitment. I'm watching a pair of seats on eBay that I would like to try in my truck. They are from Japan and look like Recaros, and they come in vinyl, fabric, or leather. The seat tracks would have to come from your car. Regards,

These below are the leather versions, note the shipping;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=150227702447&rd=1

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Those are nice also, a more subtle shape. I like about half of the Recaro styles, some have too much of a race car flair style. The style I found is almost too wild, but if it is sized right it could work for my truck.

There is a company that services Recaro seats(out West), and sells new models. I found them from some Recaro searches I have done. They may be a decent choice for recovering original seats. Yes the price would be an issue, they were near the top in costs. At least they would be real proper covers and support parts. Regards,

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
... I've yet to see a Bullit on a lot around here, just magazine photos...
I saw what I believe was a Saleen Mustang today on my route, white with the light Saleen down the side. Do people still buy those things, Saleen has some awful customer support? Night,

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
How rare is a new Saleen Mustang these days? They're poor past customer service has hurt sales and the production numbers are down. I ask because I believe I have a customer with a white one, I see it parked in the driveway most days.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Well, I can scratch the Cobra manifolds off my "need to buy" list. I scored a set today. I'm getting closer!
Psst, you need 99-02 Cobra heads...

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Ditto, I'm watching some of the HHO devices being run and tested. The one I am most hopeful about is from an owner of a 4.0 Explorer getting near 30mpg before the HHO. He does his own PCM tuning and has the best chance to work out the A/F ratio issues.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
With bleeding brakes people forget or don't learn that the release of the pedal sucks anything back into the caliper.

Most bleed screws will allow air to get into the caliper through the threads, when the screw is open. It works perfectly fine when you do it manually with two people. But with a restriction from a check valve, the suction applied through the threads of the screw typically allow a tiny amount of air into the caliper. That's why I have always done it with two people, and avoided the speed bleeders, they may do the same thing.

I have a vacuum bleeding kit, it works okay. I would rather try the new pressure systems which attach to the master cylinder(cover). That seems like a very good idea.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
1 - 20 of 1408 Posts