Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to swap rear axle assembly out of my 94 to the 95 because I have the 3.73's in it and they are set up right with no whine and I am going to rebuild the diff while it is out. Anyone done this job? I will have to get them both out and back in in one day. Any tips, hints etc? How big a job is it?

thanks guys

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's really easy... even easier if you have a buddy to help. One thing to look out for is where the brake line attaches from the rear to the chassis... somewhere above the pumpkin. remember to unhook that before you lower the rear down. Also, sometimes the abs sensors are a mofo to get out! Spray them down with some wd40 and lightly tap them out... worked like a charm for me!

Now would be a good time to replace the brake pads in the back... if you need them,, gotta take them apart anyway.

You should be able to do it in a day easily. Having 2 jacks helps also... jack stands etc..

if you get stuck... email me or post. But you should have no problem. I did it by myself already... not that bad.

good luck,
Bill

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have done this many times. Simple process, but like stated be careful for the brake lines. Also make sure that the bolts on the control arms are torqued when the vehicle is sitting on the ground. If not the bushings may be loaded incorrectly.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gt94...If the car is on the ground I couldn't get to the CA bolts...I assume that setting it down with jackstands under the axle accomplishes the same thing?

Thanks for the input guys. I crawled around under there last weekend and it didn't look that hard but just wanted to make sure since I basically have to do 2 in and out in the same day and rebuild one diff.

I will keep and eye out for the brake line.

As for theh ABS sensor, is there a disconnect or do I need to remove the sensor before I can drop the axle?

thanks again,

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, it could be tight. I was able to access mine from crawling under from the rear. If the car is on jackstands under the axle and the front was raised a little you will be fine.

You should be able to unplug the sensor. The wire is about 12" long. If you can follow the wire for that length it should lead you to the connector.

Good luck

·
Registered
133 Posts
Join the club!

Funny things is...i'll be doing the same things for the same reason this weekend.

Good luck TJ.

Josh

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am prolly going to put it off till next weekend since Mom's Day is Sunday. If I am still under the car on Sunday for any reason I might as well not bother going upstairs when I am done!!! Could be a COLD day in May. LOL! :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But let me know how it goes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts