Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just happened to me this morning. Did serious damage to the cowl section and put a couple of small dents in the roof. I was wondering what estimates/costs did you have to get this kind of damage repaired? I have heard that most body shops will try and repair the cowl portion instead of replace it since it's welded in place from the factory. Looks like I'll be throwing on hood pins with the new hood!!! What's the deal with the latches on these damn things? I know of quite a few people who have had this happen, just never suspected I'd have it happen to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had that happen to me a couple of months ago but the roof was not damaged just the cowl! Looks good after words doesn't it? I replaced mine myself not that bad of a job. And installed the Ford SS pin Kit the next day. I had that happen to me with my 3 inch Kaenen hood!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Remember that hood pins don't work unless they are in. Yes it happened to me at 85 mph. I also had a fuel pressure gauge mounted on the cowl. End result was a broken hood, broken cowl piece, cowl pushed down into the wiper mechanism, and a smashed windshield. Progressive quote of $1400.

The autometer fuel gauge still freakin worked!!! Stainless steel line got pinched, didn't break, gauge was all bent and smashed. Quality stuff I must say.

I "repaired" the cowl myself. It looks like ****. It was winter in MI, my only car at the time. I had a windsheild put in a work. I also repaired my hood with that fibergalss repair stuff. From 20 ft. you can't tell anything happened, but up close it really pisses me off. And the stupid part was that I was completely sober when all of this happened. A buddy at the gas station standing in front of my car didn't notice the pins hanging in front of the bumper. Didn't fly open at 45 mph for 5 miles. hhhmmmmm.......

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
All of you that this happened to, can you post WHY it happened. I have a friend who it happened to 3 times. Every time he just forgot to put the hood pins in. I have a 3" H.O. Fibertrends hood and refused to get hood pins. I like the clean look. Not that hood pins can't look clean, I just prefer not to have them on my car. Anyway, I have the stock hood latch and the safety hook on my hood and haven't had a problem so far. I've had it to 130 mph. Are the stock latches breaking off of your hoods, or is it user error?

Frank

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
OH, complete user error. I removed the safety catch when I installed the hood pins. I was adjusting fuel pressure that night, a buddy came over, got to talking, just set the hood down but didn't latch it. The latch works, hood pins are the "safety latch". Now I have the latch, the safety catch, and the hood pins.

A buddy of mine had the same problem with a Cervinis hood. He had to move it forward because it interferred with the cowl when opening, and didn't latch properly.

My hood fits and works perfect, and doesn't need hood pins at all. But it does need to be latched. The thing was that the hood pins were hanging down in front of the car and 2 people didn't even notice that night before it happened. Damnit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest, I have no idea why they are letting go so easily. I thought my hood was securely latched, and I know the safety latch worked fine, at least it did every time I popped the hood. Well, I can possibly assume the hood may not have been fully latched, BUT, the saftey latch didn't do ANYTHING. I always assumed they caught and the force of the wind ripped the screws right out of the fiberglass, but mine didn't even grab. Maybe it lifted SO fast that it couldn't catch in time. Who knows. I haven't had my estimate yet, but hope to soon since I can't stand seeing my car this way. Oh, BTW, it was a 2.5" Kaenen Hood.

BLUGT88, how did you replace your cowl yourself? What all is involved and how much did the new cowl cost you? I would think that it is pretty involved to replace it since you have to cut out the old one and weld in a new one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this happen while racing. had a 4inch cowl was on for about 2-3 week. I had gone through tech went to the pits and made pre race checks. Hood was completely latched checked twice. When I hit third gear the car shook and the hood blew off.
It cost $2500 to repair cowl and roof of car. Cowl was smashed completly down and roof smashed about a third of the way back
and almost all the way across. They reskinned roof and replaced cowl. Possible cause body twist don't really know.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have a stock hood but my safety latch is really sticky, it won't engage on its own. When I close the hood I have to reach in there and move the latch into the secure position. This might be why some people are having their hoods fly up.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mine happened the same way as Roberts! Had the hood on the car for a year with no pins and all of a sudden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cowl repair was pretty involved, but with a lil time on my side and with the help from my friend Bob we did it in about 4 days from taking the old one out by drilling out all the spot welds removed the windshield and fenders to get at it better being carefull while welding with the dash still in but with the help of flame retard blankets. And a small amount of filler andprimer and then spot sanded. Ordered all new molding for the windsheild and a new cowl new wipes new wiper transmission parts. Probably wouldn't do another cowl replace again though!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm gonna get a Cobra R hood this summer and I really dont want my hood to fly up so is the best bet to have hood pins as well as the hood latch and safety latch? What are good hood pins to get? FMS?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Jeez, is any fiberglass hood safe? I'm looking to use a bolt on Cervini's and retain the stock latch and safety mechanism. WOuld I be on borrowed time w/o pins?

·
Registered
660 Posts
hood fly open

I had it happen to me a month ago, going about 35 mph. It flew back, chipped my hood, ruined my cowl between the windshield and hood. It was a mess, the hood wouldn't close.
It cost me $4.99 plus tax for the cowl off another mustang at the junk yard, and seven dollars for a set of chisels, and 8 dollars for some sheet metal screws. I drilled all the spot welds out, used a dremel to cut along the windshield. It took two days of stop and go work to get it put back together. You couldn tell it was damage except for the mismatch paint. I painted it black instead of green like the car. If you love working on your car, then that will be a great project.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just forgot to put in the hood pin's. Drove off and wham! (55mph)
There was no saving that hood. Went over the car and had been ran over. It was a early small hole Shelby hood. Had to replace it with a aftermarket one. Now I always check the hood. Lable inside car. " PLEASE CHECK HOOD "

·
Registered
308 Posts
Here's my train of thought...what's cheaper, a $40 set of FMS stainless steel hood pins, or $1000+ worth of repairs when the hood blows off? I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of putting hood pins on my 1994 high-rise Cobra R hood, but at least it's one less thing to worry about. I spent several hours installing them (measure several times, drill once), and they look pretty good. That's just what you have to do, folks...plain and simple.

I highly recommend the stainless steel Ford Motorsport pins. They cost twice as much as el cheapo Mr. Gasket or Moroso pins ($40 vs $20), but they are beefier (1/2" diameter) and are stainless steel.

Everybody buy pins TODAY.

Mark -aka- Short Bus

1 - 16 of 16 Posts