Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this large of a wheel/tire combo on the back: 335/35/17 with a 17 x 11 inch rim? Give me some feedback. I'm about to fit this tire in the rear. I know i won't have any problems in the front because i can run at least a 265/40/17 in the front. I probably will have to switch the quad shock around which should give me some more room to work with. By the way i have a 1988 Ford Mustang GT.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually i'm going with 315/35/17 with 11 inch rim. It's going to be tight but i think i can make it fit. The quad shock do you really need it? Anyways i'm going to have to turn it around to give me some more room to work with.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I put on a 98 Cobra wheel widened to 10 inches with a 285/40 on the 85 gt. It's tight about a 1/4 inch on the inside but I didn't massage the inner wheel well at all. I do have the lip rolled as much as I can.

It all depends on the back spacing but I really don't think a 11 inch wheel is going to fit. Only thing I can tell ya is measure!

If you have aftermarket control arms you don't need the quad shocks.

-Billy

·
Registered
24 Posts
When you get them on there post some pics, I'd like to see how they fit.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I know Brad has 28x13.5 ET Streets on his race car and it has stock fenderwells.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GNOCID5 did you say if i were to change the lower control arms to aftermarket type i should be able to remove the quad shock?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yeah, when you use aftermarket control arms with stiffer bushings then the big soft rubber ones in the factory arm you can or really should ditch the quad shocks.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have no idea how you are going to fit that, you better not be lowered. I run 275s on my AFS Cobra Rs. I had slight rubbing on the quad shock and slight rubbing on the on the inside front fender. A little bit of hammer work fixed it. I just have enough room that I only rub on the fender lip on wierd angles. So your gonna have to put the extra 40mm of tire outside of the car, and make sure that the tire doesnt go on the fender.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks GNOCID5. Hey GODUKE for some reason for my stang i have alot of room to work with. Besides a 315/35/17 isn't that really big of a tire. I used to have a corvette with that size tire and it actuall didn't look that big. If i remove the quad shock i will have more than enough room to work with. When i can get pics i will post them. Even if i lowered the car i think i still will not have any problems with rubbing. I might though have to roll the rear lip a bit but that shouldn't be any problem.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Good luck, your gonna need it, and the perfect backspacing. Even with the quad shock removed I would not have enough room because of a lack of room with the inner fender. I could probably fit a 285 buy trimming the lip on the outside fender, but not much more. I defintaly wanna see pictures, they look awesome on the minitubed cars I have seen.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right now i have 18 x 9 with 265/35/18 and they stick so far in that i have to use a 1 inch thick backspacer to space em out a bit and i don't have any problems hitting the quad shock. I measured about1 1/4 of space of room out to the outer fender and if i remove the quadshock i should have another 1inch or so to work with. It will be a tight fit but i'm sure it will work. Reason i want to go with the 11 inch rim is because they cost as much as a 9 inch rim and also the tire for that rim is really cheap too so i'm savin some money there. I will certainly post pics when i'm done. Later....

·
Registered
20 Posts
What about the tailpipes, I've heard you have to clear those too. You guys think a 9.5 or 10 rim would fit on a fox body with 295 or 305's?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just get some dump offs exiting from the muffler if you need to clear the pipes. 295's should be okay but better check your rear wheel spacing before you try. To me i prefer the wheel not to stick in or out too much. Just make sure you have enough clearance. I was told you can remove the quad shocks if you get better lower control arms. What kind of wheel you looking to get and what year is your mustang?

·
Registered
493 Posts
anybody know if a 275/17 will fit on fox in rear with tailpipes and quads without rubbing?btw,sn95 rear in car:joy: i know its a little off topic.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Fox3streetracer- I had all you mentioned on my car a few years back. Everything would have fit perfectly if my wheel was a bit wider. On my 8.5" wheel, the 275 bulged out enough to rub the fender lip when going over big bumps. I did not have it rolled and my car is lowered. If the wheel was 1" wider towards the inside of the car I could have easily fit the 275, perhaps even a 315??? I sold the 275's and now run 245's and it looks like I have spare tires in the back they'er so small compared to the 275's...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts